possible UConn/ND championship game? | The Boneyard

possible UConn/ND championship game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I recorded and watched the Notre Dame/Tennessee game. Seems UConn is in the Nebraska region, while Notre Dame is at home for theirs. Could we be seeing them in the championship game if we don't meet in the Final Four? Would be interesting...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If both UConn and ND remain undefeated for the remainder of the regular season and their conference tournament (quite likely UConn's case, 50-50 odds for ND), then they should be the #1 and #2 overall seeds in the NCAA tournament, and the Final Four brackets should be set up so that they meet in the Finals.

I would welcome that, and I'm sure the networks that broadcast the Final Four games would want it also.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO right now for the Championship game, the favorites have to be UConn vs ND or UConn vs Stanford. My extreme long shot team is North Carolina. They're an extremely talented team but very very young. While its unfortunate that Sylvia Hatchell is out sick, the team as whole maybe benefiting from the situation with improved game coaching.

Reaction Score
I recorded and watched the Notre Dame/Tennessee game. Seems UConn is in the Nebraska region, while Notre Dame is at home for theirs. Could we be seeing them in the championship game if we don't meet in the Final Four? Would be interesting...

By rule the #1 overall seed{likely UCONN} must be sent to the region that is geographically closest which would be Louisville.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
By rule the #1 overall seed{likely UCONN} must be sent to the region that is geographically closest which would be Louisville.
No - geographically closest is South Bend so that rule is already out the window.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I was under the impression that the overall 1 seed played the lowest 2 seed. I think they send UConn to Nebraska no matter what. I also think after the ACC beats up each other Stanford may be the 2 seed most likely the 3 seed. ND or Duke should win the ACC one being a one seed and the other being a 2 seed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I was under the impression that the overall 1 seed played the lowest 2 seed.
That's the S curve. WBB doesn't really adhere to that. They go (or that have in more recent years) more with geography, trying to get fans in the seats.

Reaction Score
They have to take into account Louisville being a high seed, you don't send your top seed to play on the home court of a league rival. UConn will draw more fans to the Nebraska region then Nebraska does.

Reaction Score
At this point in the season; my prediction for #1 seeds are:

UConn
ND (host school)
Stanford (host school)
Duke/Maryland

That leaves UConn at Louisville or Nebraska and the other ACC team at the other location. I think the committee will take some 'unusual' things into account this time; even if Louisville is closest, I think UConn will be sent to Nebraska and the other #1 seed will be sent to Louisville.

Based on how the rest of the season goes, if ND enters the tournament undefeated or with only 1 'good' loss (most likely loss in this scenario is either at Maryland or at Duke), they will be the #2 1 Seed. If ND enters with 1 regular season loss AND lost in the ACC Tournament (a possibility), they will be the 3rd or 4th 1 seed, and Stanford will be the 2nd, and the ACC Tournament winner will be the 3rd/4th 1 seed.

If either Duke or Maryland win the ACC battle (regular season and/or tournament) they will be the #3 1 seed and ND will end up bumped to 4th (this is predicated on Stanford not losing another game this season).

I have to imagine, at this point, that if 2 teams can make it out of the ACC relatively unscathed (no in conference losses or only losses to each other after splitting their match ups), they will both be 1 seeds.

Long shots at this point:
Big 12 Winner: whether thats OK State, WVU, or Baylor. But, I think even if one of the three goes through the conference play and tournament with only 1 loss, I think the ACC is still a stronger conference and the winner or top 2 teams coming out will be 1 seeds.

Louisville: ACC has a stronger conference, so I imagine if Duke only has losses to UConn and ND, they will be picked over Louisville. However, if Duke and Maryland beat each other up, lose to Notre Dame each time they met, and have another loss or two in conference, AND Louisville only has the Kentucky loss and losses to only UConn, THEN I can see Louisville moving in as the 4th #1 seed.

North Carolina: unless they put together some kind of magical run through the ACC, but I think the conference is too top heavy for a lower tiered team to knock out all three favorites and win both the regular season and tournament

Baylor: hit a rough patch last week against Kansas, so they may be officially out of the running for a 1 seed

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I was under the impression that the overall 1 seed played the lowest 2 seed.

Tony, seriously, where have you been? They haven't used the S-curve since at least 2008.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
They have to take into account Louisville being a high seed, you don't send your top seed to play on the home court of a league rival. UConn will draw more fans to the Nebraska region then Nebraska does.

They may not want to, but it is not prohibited, based upon last year's rules.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
This topic is becoming the new "Who should start at point guard?" :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
No - geographically closest is South Bend so that rule is already out the window.

The statement I made was based on the understanding that obviously ND was staying home so YES I am right and it is also the reason why Charlie Crème puts UCONN in the Louisville bracket.

Here is why Charlie thinks UConn will go to Louisville: The overall top seed "will be assigned to the closest geographical proximity site."

However, I am quoting the 2013 rules, as the 2014 rules are not yet available, they haven't yet changed the rules to say:
"will be assigned to the closest AVAILABLE geographical proximity site."

Notre Dame is closest, but barring a collapse by ND (or UConn) which makes one of the something other than a one seed, UConn is not going to Notre Dame.

It is easy to make a case that Nebraska is the closest (because it is the only) site which is close to neutral, and the top overall seed deserves the best path. However, don't spend much time on that argument. It isn't the rule and hasn't been for years.

The committee doesn't like to set up a bracket in which teams who have met three times already could meet prior to the FF. However, they have done so, and it is not a violation of the Principles.

Bold text taken from a post by Phil.

Reaction Score
I cannot think of anything dumber than taking geography into account for a school located in Connecticut when the regions in question are Louisville and Lincoln. Last time I checked neither are within driving distance of CT.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ND looked really bad, and then really good, in that game. I like our chances against anyone but Muffet is a good coach who has seen us enough to understand what is the best way to attack us. I'd rather not give them home court advantage.

Reaction Score
If both UConn and ND remain undefeated for the remainder of the regular season and their conference tournament (quite likely UConn's case, 50-50 odds for ND), then they should be the #1 and #2 overall seeds in the NCAA tournament, and the Final Four brackets should be set up so that they meet in the Finals.

I would welcome that, and I'm sure the networks that broadcast the Final Four games would want it also.
I highly doubt ND goes into NCAA undefeated. About a 10% chance maybe less imho.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
With 6 teams in the top 20 for Sagarin ratings and two more in the top 30, I'm not sure any of the top 3 teams in the ACC should be expecting to waltz to a #1 or #2 seed. Road ambushes appear to be quite likely, and then another bloodbath in the ACC tourney.

Also seems like just yesterday that ND's position at #2 in the rankings or even in the top 25 was being questioned here. Now a week later they are credited with wins over three top 25 teams, and an imagined showdown with UConn in an NC game is being bandied about. Very odd.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The NCAA may well screw it up, but I'm betting that UConn plays ND. No one else will beat ND in the first 4 games of the tourney.

Jim

Reaction Score
Lincoln is the closest site to Connecticut (alphabetically speaking, of course.)

Reaction Score
I don't think ND will go undefeated before March Madness. I like our chances against them this year. They are very beatable if you ask me.

Reaction Score
I was thinking Nebraska since Louisville, ND, and Stanford are the other locations, they have home court advantage, assuming they all make it to the Sweet 16.

Reaction Score
Right now they look like world beaters against Maryland who should be embarrassed. As Kara said, every loose ball is going to Notre Dame. Without Morgan the road just became more difficult against Notre Dame. Our front court players will have to get a lot of minutes.

Reaction Score
Sorry I must confess ....I am late to the party on this one...... Exactly what was the logic in choosing the regional sites?

LVille..... S Bend..... Stanford..... that makes sense...... Nebraska? Doesn't make sense to me..... but I am sure there is a logical explanation

Reaction Score
Of course there's a logical explanation for Nebraska. Somebody ponied up the bucks. That usually does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom