Positives | The Boneyard

Positives

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Honestly, I think there are a lot of positives to take away from last nights game, with exception to the final outcome:

-Rebounding has improved tremendously. We certainly held our own against a bulky Cinci team. Rebounding is the main concern I had about this team that I thought would keep us from hanging with elite teams. But lately, we have been trending in the right direction both on the offensive and defensive end. (knocking on wood as I type)

-Defensively, I think yesterday was the best we have looked all year. I can remember only one defensive breakdown in transition. We had a few bone-headed plays on offense that gifted them some easy hoops at the other end, but that's not on our defense. We probably could have done a little bit better job on Kilpatrick but he is a special player so we can't really fault ourselves for that either. Our on-ball defense, switching, and help defense was tremendous.

-Amida is emerging as the guy we need in the low post if we want to make a run in March. If you look at his box score, you'd think he had a quiet night (6 pts, 4 reb, 2 blocks). He did so many things yesterday that will not show up in the stat sheet. He was a difference-maker defensively and did a tremendous job of contesting shots while staying out of foul trouble. That was especially important since Nolan had to ride the pine for his foul situation (2 of those calls were utter BS). He did a decent job of rebounding. He had the travel late, which sucked, but I still think we need to find ways to get him the ball in the low post so that he can work through his mistakes. He's changing from RAW to RARE and we need to keep putting things on his plate to see how he adjusts to them.

-Kromah and Giffey are embracing their roles as vital veteran pieces on this team. They know their roles and play within themselves. They are great defensively and know how to play to their strengths to impact the game positively; Kromah as a driver, Giffey as a spot-up shooter. Their leadership cannot be understated.

-Our most complete game vs top competition outside of Florida. We played great team basketball for about 30 of 40 minutes. The last 2 mins of the 1st half and 8 mins or so of the 2nd half were unfortunate, but I think we ran out of firepower and Cinci tightened up on D. Outside of those 10 mins, I would argue we controlled the tempo of the game and did a good job of running our sets and finding different ways to score. This is probably why it sucks so much to lose this one... we played well most of the game on the road against top-notch competition but it still shows up in the loss column. Playing well consistently for sustained stretches has been a problem for this team and I would say we're improving in that regard. We still have work to do to avoid the drought we had in the second half where he didn't hit a FG for over 6 mins.

-We almost won on the road against top competition WITHOUT our 2nd best player (DD) and IN SPITE of our best player. Don't take this as bashing, as I have a well-documented man-crush on Napier, but Bazz did not play well yesterday. He settled too much for long-range 3's instead of trying to pull-up and work his mid-range game where he is so deadly. Granted, Bazz can hit tough shots from range like I've never seen before... and I'm sure he felt the need to pick-up some of the scoring void with Deandre out... but 2-12 on 3's can't cut it and he knows better. He had as many air-balls as assists (3). I think Cinci did a good job on him, but he still can't force some of those shots. Find other ways to get your teammates involved. Cinci was very physical with him and I think he became timid about driving into the lane to kick out to shooters or pull-up like he does so well. If Bazz has an average game, or if we have Deandre in uniform, we win last night.

Despite the loss, I think it's pretty obvious that this team is steadily improving. I just hope that we can get enough quality wins in the American to not hurt our seeding too much at a chance to make a run in the NCAA tourney.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really hoping that UConn is on a 6 game winning streak when we play Cinci again, and this team is capable with the way they have been playing:

@UCF
USF
Memphis
@Temple
SMU
@USF

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Despite the loss, I think it's pretty obvious that this team is steadily improving. I just hope that we can get enough quality wins in the American to not hurt our seeding too much for the NCAAs.

Good post. Let's also not forget there is the AAC tourney which can create opportunities to improve UConn's NCAA seeding, as well. It worked out well for 2011 Kemba Huskies. Perhaps 2014 Napier Huskies as well?

Reaction Score
Honestly, I think there are a lot of positives to take away from last nights game, with exception to the final outcome:

-Rebounding has improved tremendously. We certainly held our own against a bulky Cinci team. Rebounding is the main concern I had about this team that I thought would keep us from hanging with elite teams. But lately, we have been trending in the right direction both on the offensive and defensive end. (knocking on wood as I type)

-Defensively, I think yesterday was the best we have looked all year. I can remember only one defensive breakdown in transition. We had a few bone-headed plays that gifted them some easy hoops, but our defense wasn't at fault for that. We probably could have done a little bit better job on Kilpatrick but he is a special player so we can't really fault ourselves for that.

-Amida is emerging as the guy we need in the low post if we want to make a run in March. If you look at his box score, you'd think he had a quiet night (6 pts, 4 reb, 2 blocks). He did so many things yesterday that will not show up in the stat sheet. He was a difference-maker defensively and did a tremendous job of contesting shots while staying out of foul trouble. That was especially important since Nolan had to ride the pine for his foul situation (2 of those calls were utter BS). He did a decent job of rebounding. He had the travel late, which sucked, but I still think we need to find ways to get him the ball in the low post so that he can work through his mistakes. He's changing from RAW to RARE and we need to keep putting things on his plate to see how he adjusts to them.

-Kromah and Giffey are embracing their roles as vital veteran pieces on this team. They know their roles and play within themselves. They are great defensively and know how to play to their strengths to impact the game positively; Kromah as a driver, Giffey as a spot-up shooter. Their leadership cannot be understated.

-Our most complete game vs top competition outside of Florida. We played great team basketball for about 30 of 40 minutes. The last 2 mins of the 1st half and 8 mins or so of the 2nd half were unfortunate, but I think we ran out of firepower and Cinci tightened up on D. Outside of those 10 mins, I would argue we controlled the tempo of the game and did a good job of running our sets and finding different ways to score. This is probably why it sucks so much to lose this one... we played well most of the game on the road against top-notch competition but still shows up in the loss column. But playing well consistently for sustained stretches has been a problem for this team. I would say we're improving in that regard but we still have work to do.

-We almost won on the road against top competition WITHOUT our 2nd best player (DD) and IN SPITE of our best player. Don't take this as bashing, as I have a well-documented man-crush on Napier, but Bazz did not play well yesterday. He settled too much for long-range 3's instead of trying to pull-up and work his mid-range game where he is so deadly. Granted, Bazz can hit tough shots from range like I've never seen before... and I'm sure he felt the need to pick-up some of the scoring void with Deandre out... but 2-12 on 3's can't cut it and he knows better. He had as many air-balls as assists (3). I think Cinci did a good job on him, but he still can't force some of those shots. Find other ways to get your teammates involved. Cinci was very physical with him and I think he became timid about driving into the lane to kick out to shooters or pull-up like he does so well. If Bazz has an average game, or if we have Deandre in uniform, we win last night.

Despite the loss, I think it's pretty obvious that this team is steadily improving. I just hope that we can get enough quality wins in the American to not hurt our seeding too much for the NCAAs.

Good, positive post. I feel that we are evolving right on schedule and while I hate losing, I liked what I saw in terms of toughness and effort. Bazz had a rough night but the team in general is resilient and believes in itself. If we can play Cincy tight on the road with Bazz struggling, I feel pretty good at this point in February.

I don't put too much weight on the fact that Deandre didn't play. He is inconsistent and I really can't say that he would have made a difference for us. Some days he would have been a big help, others not so much. I think Neils and Lasan are plenty capable subs. This really comes down to our superstar going 4-19 on the road and not much else. Given that Bazz rarely struggles, I don't feel too much sting from the loss. However, these guys need another signature win to propel them forward.

Reaction Score
UCONN has plenty of opportunities for good wins. The American is the only conference with 5 teams that have 5 or fewer loses. We still have to play the 4 top teams again, 3 at home, plus the conference tournament.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
From the opening tip to about the third from the last possession, I felt that this was a game either team could win. Never felt comfortable with the 5 to 10 point lead, and didn't feel out of it when down by 5.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Really hoping that UConn is on a 6 game winning streak when we play Cinci again, and this team is capable with the way they have been playing:

@UCF
USF
Memphis
@Temple
SMU
@USF

Definitely possible. Let's hope that's the case. Need to keep rebounding and playing well defensively. I think we should be OK offensively if we stay healthy.

Reaction Score
We played well and had our opportunities to extend our lead with foul shots, but didn't. Considering that DD did not play I am really positive that come tourney time and if we are at full strength, we will not be an easy out. Looks like NG and Kromah are getting in a great groove and Brimah is growing up too.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I hope to see Cincy in the top 5 when UConn takes them down at home.

Reaction Score
Good, positive post. I feel that we are evolving right on schedule and while I hate losing, I liked what I saw in terms of toughness and effort. Bazz had a rough night but the team in general is resilient and believes in itself. If we can play Cincy tight on the road with Bazz struggling, I feel pretty good at this point in February.

I don't put too much weight on the fact that Deandre didn't play. He is inconsistent and I really can't say that he would have made a difference for us. Some days he would have been a big help, others not so much. I think Neils and Lasan are plenty capable subs. This really comes down to our superstar going 4-19 on the road and not much else. Given that Bazz rarely struggles, I don't feel too much sting from the loss. However, these guys need another signature win to propel them forward.

What we missed from Daniels last nite were productive minutes. Cinci's game is to wear you down defensively and it looked to me like that's what happened for the last 6 minutes or so -- we looked exhausted. With Daniels in, everyone gets more rest without hurting the offense, and I think we play better down the stretch. At this point we have 7 players who KO can trust and Nolan was in foul trouble and DD was on the bench.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'm thrilled to see a topic on the BY called positives. Never thought I'd see the day.
Overall thought it was a very good game. My only issue was the 1 on 1 shot selection of our 2 primary guards. This team can play at a high level if they could drive and kick like Bazz did to Giffey on one of Giffey's 3's. My wife in another room wanted to know if whoever I was talking to was answering me. between shot selection and that odd foul call on Brimah I was talking to the TV a lot. I think Daniels gives minutes, defense and rebounding at the minimum and that could have been enough last night.
Bottom line, well played and let's keep improving.

Reaction Score
I know this is a positive thread, and I'm certain there are many.

The problem is that its February and the team (including coaches) has to snatch these victories when availible. Cincy didn't really beat us, we beat ourselves, hence my rant. Unless we find a way to win these games (I know its a road game without DD) then March may not last that long.

Maybe in a few days I'll review this and find all the positives, but I hope the team has a real bitter and poisoned taste in thier mouths.

Reaction Score
In addition to the positives noted at the top, I'd like to add Ollie's job as well. He's been a little uneven at times this year, but last night his use of timeouts, and more importantly their play after the timeouts was excellent. Many times, especially in the first half, cincy would claw back, timeout, and out of the timeout a couple of buckets and a stop and the lead was back up again. Tough to do against a good team in a hostile building. But one tiny exception...wish he got Bazz some rest in the 2nd half. Other than that, I thought he had a good night.

Reaction Score
I know this is a positive thread, and I'm certain there are many.

The problem is that its February and the team (including coaches) has to snatch these victories when availible. Cincy didn't really beat us, we beat ourselves, hence my rant. Unless we find a way to win these games (I know its a road game without DD) then March may not last that long.

Maybe in a few days I'll review this and find all the positives, but I hope the team has a real bitter and poisoned taste in thier mouths.
I don't agree that we beat ourselves. Cincinnati is a very good team playing before a very enthusiastic crowd. They are bigger and we played without one of our better inside players. I thought we played a great game against a top ten team. I knew we were in trouble when I saw Oscar Robertson and Pete Rose in the audience.;)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Then what's our excuse for losing to Louisvill at home. We are 9 games into the AAC schedule and have 1 meaningful win & 1 bad loss. OOC wins only thing keeping us in the conversation.

This team needs to toughen up and finish winable games...Cincy plays great D but only really have 2 offensive players. I loved it when Ollie screamed at Giffey for not bustin' it....they better all get passion back or this season could slip away.
Nice to complain about a team not having it in a thread of positives.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Nice op post 916. The last two minutes of the first half was a completed three by a 30% 3 point shooter that Boat played tight and a missed open three by LK on the following play by a decent drive and kick. I felt UConn outplayed Cinci during those minutes even if the score didn't reflect it.

The last five or so minutes have been discussed a lot. Cinci missed free throws but outside of Kilpatrick they are not a good free throw shooting team. UConn is a great free throw shooting team that missed some crucial one and ones. NG missed an easy mid range shot that was wide open, Bazz missed that Euro lay up to tie the game which would have changed the play of the last minute.

I came away from this game feeling it was a throwback to BE basketball. Great defense. Great coaching. Punches and counter punches by both teams. I certainly would have preferred a W in this game. But I felt that more than anything, these two teams demonstrated that they will be a tough match up come NCAA tournament time.

There is every possibility that the AAC can make an important statement in it's inaugural season.

Reaction Score
I don't agree that we beat ourselves. Cincinnati is a very good team playing before a very enthusiastic crowd. They are bigger and we played without one of our better inside players. I thought we played a great game against a top ten team. I knew we were in trouble when I saw Oscar Robertson and Pete Rose in the audience.;)
I think we did beat ourselves. I look back at key missed foul shots down the end, Boat's give away underneath the Cincy basket, Boat's having the ball knocked away from behind him and Bazz's three point shots outside his normal range. We would have won if we played smart basketball. That being said, there were many positives taken from last night's game. That's what makes this loss tough.

Reaction Score
Nice to complain about a team not having it in a thread of positives.
Damn...I thought this was the neagtives thread. Great game vs Cincy, we'll get 'em next time!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Damn...I thought this was the neagtives thread. Great game vs Cincy, we'll get 'em next time!
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc