Portal deadline | The Boneyard

Portal deadline

Reaction Score
I think I read somewhere that basketball players in the portal have until May 16 to find a spot. Does anyone know if this is correct? Thanks!

Reaction Score
When UConn picked up Ines there was some discussion that the portal wasn't an option. Was that because there was no on in the portal who could play immediately that year, or no one worth having, or no one interested in UConn, or some other reason. Anyone remember?

Is there a rule that portal commits have to happen before the start of the semester in order to play that year? Was that why Geno had to go overseas? (FYI Ines was a good find. I hope she lands in a happy place.)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When UConn picked up Ines there was some discussion that the portal wasn't an option. Was that because there was no on in the portal who could play immediately that year, or no one worth having, or no one interested in UConn, or some other reason. Anyone remember?

Is there a rule that portal commits have to happen before the start of the semester in order to play that year? Was that why Geno had to go overseas? (FYI Ines was a good find. I hope she lands in a happy place.)
As I recall, Ines was picked up by UConn late in August, after Paige’s injury in summer workouts. She had been heading to a JUCO in FL. I don’t believe Ines got to campus until a week or so after classes had begun. By that time, all the “high profile” transfers already had new schools lined up.

Reaction Score
In addition we should remember that a significant number of players who enter the portal never find a new home. Just one of the realities of the portal.
So what happens to those who enter the portal and there are no takers?

Reaction Score
Unless their current team agrees to take them back, they will do what generations of college graduates have done, join the real world and get on with their lives….;)
Or, if they are undergrads, they will apply for whatever financial assistance they are eligible for and pay their own way to complete their degree.

Reaction Score
There needs to be a study on how the Portal impacts the athletes in the long run. How many players have actually had huge benefits they wouldn't have had otherwise by entering the portal and changing teams compared to those who had a good situation and left for greener pastures just to be left behind or out all together?

To me the portal has just legalized pay to play and gives boosters the legal ability to mettle in programs the schools worked so hard to keep out. I do think the portal has proven to help some teams (LSU) but it seemed to be at the expense of players they already had committed to. I may be here to stay but I don't ever think I will like it.

Reaction Score
Unless their current team agrees to take them back, they will do what generations of college graduates have done, join the real world and get on with their lives….;)
Canadians have the option to return and play in Usports. The difference is the funding may not be a full ride like at most D1 schools.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
As I recall, Ines was picked up by UConn late in August, after Paige’s injury in summer workouts. She had been heading to a JUCO in FL. I don’t believe Ines got to campus until a week or so after classes had begun. By that time, all the “high profile” transfers already had new schools lined up.
Ines had accepted the scholarship a little over week before arriving, which was the day before classes began.

Reaction Score
The portal doesn’t close. A player can enter whenever. There is however a time frame to be able to play right away. Like someone else said, it’s either may 1 or 3. After that, the player either has to wait or needs a waiver to play right away.

Cooper, who transferred from SC to Tennessee, is a perfect example

Reaction Score
When a player enters the portal, their current program is under no obligation to honor their scholarship regardless of whether they find a taker. I would imagine if there are no takers, after talking their parents down off the ledge, they would fund their education themselves.

Reaction Score
One thing to keep in mind is that many players who go into the portal are not scholarship players at their current school. Also many of them are graduating next month and are simply looking for a school to fund a graduate degree. If those players don’t find a spot, it is certainly not the end of the world.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One thing to keep in mind is that many players who go into the portal are not scholarship players at their current school. Also many of them are graduating next month and are simply looking for a school to fund a graduate degree. If those players don’t find a spot, it is certainly not the end of the world.
As info, there are currently 1,243 WBB players in the transfer portal. Of that total, 395 are graduate transfers. Since this is the last year when players are granted a 5th year of eligibility due to Covid, we can expect a large decline in graduate transfers next season.

Reaction Score
So what happens to those who enter the portal and there are no takers?
LOL, have a lot more time to study?

I'd like to know how many scholarship kids have entered the portal and ended up losing their scholarships (grads don't count). Seems to me the portal is a huge risk unless the kid knows exactly what she is doing. Not the place for so/so athletes.

Reaction Score
LOL, have a lot more time to study?

I'd like to know how many scholarship kids have entered the portal and ended up losing their scholarships (grads don't count). Seems to me the portal is a huge risk unless the kid knows exactly what she is doing. Not the place for so/so athletes.
I poked around the Internet a couple of times and didn't find much beyond the rules of the game. The portal does present big risks for non-grad students and you'd think some sports writer would have dug into how the portal experience has been for student athletes. How many schools do cut or withdraw scholarships for athletes who withdraw from the portal? Do players discuss their situation and intentions with their coaches before entering the portal so they know what will happen if they decide to withdraw?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I poked around the Internet a couple of times and didn't find much beyond the rules of the game. The portal does present big risks for non-grad students and you'd think some sports writer would have dug into how the portal experience has been for student athletes. How many schools do cut or withdraw scholarships for athletes who withdraw from the portal? Do players discuss their situation and intentions with their coaches before entering the portal so they know what will happen if they decide to withdraw?
I have no doubt that players discuss entering the portal with their current coach before doing so, since the school itself must post a player’s name in the portal. Sometimes, I suspect coaches talk players out of entering the portal. Sometimes they give their blessing to a player moving on. Still other times coaches probably proactively advise players that they do not intend to renew their scholarship forcing them to consider the portal.

There are a bunch of issues that players face when considering the transfer portal: PT, developing as a pro prospect, opportunity to win a championship and NIL opportunities.

For Grad students, you can add the additional possibility of playing 1 more season on scholarship while avoiding the inevitable decision to get on with their lives after college.

Reaction Score
I have no doubt that players discuss entering the portal with their current coach before doing so, since the school itself must post a player’s name in the portal. Sometimes, I suspect coaches talk players out of entering the portal. Sometimes they give their blessing to a player moving on. Still other times coaches probably proactively advise players that they do not intend to renew their scholarship forcing them to consider the portal.

I'm sure that many players do discuss it with the coach. But they don't have to see the coach or talk to the coach to enter the portal. That, by rule, is handled by the school's director of compliance. That is the only person a prospective transferee needs to contact.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm sure that many players do discuss it with the coach. But they don't have to see the coach or talk to the coach to enter the portal. That, by rule, is handled by the school's director of compliance. That is the only person a prospective transferee needs to contact.
That’s correct. But it would be hard for me to imagine that any player, after completing an entire season playing for a coach, wouldn’t, at a minimum, advise that coach of their plans to transfer prior to listing their name in the portal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom