POLL: will it be UConn vs. ND or LVs in the 2015 NC game? | The Boneyard

POLL: will it be UConn vs. ND or LVs in the 2015 NC game?

Will UConn face Notre Dame or Tennessee in the national championship game on 4/9/15?

• Yes- UConn and either ND or the LVs will make the NC game.

Votes: 40 37.0%
  • No- UConn will make the NC game, but neither ND nor the LVs will

Votes: 63 58.3%
  • No- ND or the LVs will make the finals, but UConn won't

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • No- none of these three teams will play in the NC game

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This is one question we eagerly anticipate. UConn, the preseason favorite of 2013-14, made it all the way to the NC game...only to face bitter rival Notre Dame. In fact UConn and ND have played each other in the national semis or finals of the last four NCAA tournaments. Certainly, ND has faced some losses to graduation. I mean, Peters, Novosel, Mallory, Diggins, McBride, Achonwa- that's a lot of talent, right? However, with Loyd already establishing herself as elite, with the arrival of Briana Turner, and with a number of other talented players, ND should be tough this upcoming season.

Meanwhile Tennessee and UConn haven't played since 2007. Perhaps that drought will finally end at some point, won't it?

What do you think? Will 2014-15 culminate in a doomsday scenario for a national championship game? Or, for the permutation of reasons I've listed in the poll, will the NC game matchup be less expected and generally less anticipated?

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
You seem to have overlooked South Carolina in 2015. I saw them play UNC at Stanford regional in April and without Diamond Deshields, SC would have won easily...and she won't be at Tennessee yet in 2015. I think your poll makes sense for 2016.

Reaction Score
Yes they will.:) South Carolina lacks reliable outside shooting and this will be their Achilles heel.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
You seem to have overlooked South Carolina in 2015. I saw them play UNC at Stanford regional in April and without Diamond Deshields, SC would have won easily...and she won't be at Tennessee yet in 2015. I think your poll makes sense for 2016.
Not following- this poll is about whether there will be another installment of a bitter rivalry game for the NC. UConn- South Carolina for all the marbles would be entertaining, but it is not a rivalry game at this time.

HGN

Reaction Score
UConn can make the NC game in 2015........But its going to be tough. Replacing Hartley is easier than replacing Stef. Hartley's shoes can be filled with Saniya , Nurse , Ekmark , or Sadie , all are capable of being a good 2-guard. And right now UConn has no one in the middle that can replace Stef's scoring , rebounding , and defense. So repeating as NC is going to be a tough road. Stokes is an above average defender , but hasn't proven to be the scoring threat Stef was.

On the other hand , ND lost a lot too. You don't just easily replace McBride. Loyd is good and incoming freshman Briana Turner is going to be tough to deal with down low. Can UConn do it. I hope so.

If UConn has a weakness its lack of experienced low post players and interior play on both ends and depth. But is there someone out there that can take advantage of that weakness? We shall see.

UConn will be a slightly smaller team than the last 2 years. But will be more of a perimeter scoring team I think. Capable of blowing teams out early. Stewie can score from anywhere but maybe relied upon too much. If UConn can provide Stewie and KML some consistent help from anywhere , who knows, UConn may again walk off with the hardware in 2015.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Yes they will.:) South Carolina lacks reliable outside shooting and this will be their Achilles heel.

The Vols don't appear to have much outside shooting on paper either.

Reaction Score
I can see a rematch between UConn-ND. Tennessee hasn't made it to a Final Four in quite some time and I don't see it happening this year. Now 2016 otoh....

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
aw, man....it's just too early for this kind of thinking...plus, my choice wasn't on the poll so I didn't vote.

Reaction Score
I There are too many options that were not included in the choices.

Huh? All possibilities are covered. Give me an outcome that does not fit one of these options:

(A) UConn vs ND or Tenn
(B) UConn vs Someone Besides ND/Tenn
(C) ND or Tenn vs Someone Besides UConn
(D) None of UConn, ND, or Tenn

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
HGN, you don't have much faith in Kiah Stokes, do you? I can understand your taking an "I'm from Missouri" attitude with regard to her scoring and passing, but she has already proven that she is at least as good a defender and rebounder as Stef. I would argue that she is superior to Stef in those areas.

As has been discussed on the "High Post" thread, there are numerous ways that Kiah can score adequately given the threats posed by the rest of the offense.

And don't forget about Morgan's return next year.

If UConn doesn't make it back to the NCAA finals next year, post play will not be the reason.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
So your shooting hopes will be on the backs of two freshmen, freshmen who possibly won't even play large numbers of minutes.

Why shouldn't they rest their hopes on their freshmen? A lot of us Boneyarders are doing the same with our incoming recruits.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
For me, how good ND can be is defined by how good Turner and Reimer are. If Reimer takes a big step up and Turner is freshman of the year or close to it, then ND can make the title game.

I think ND knows basically what to expect from the guards. The forwards are the mystery. In a best case scenario, they could be better than last year's group but the worst case is much worse now that the stabilizing force of Achonwa is gone.

McBride is a better player but Achonwa may actually be more difficult to replace in the short term.

U

UCONNfan1

Why shouldn't they rest their hopes on their freshmen? A lot of us Boneyarders are doing the same with our incoming recruits.
We are? Projected starers of Stokes, Jefferson, Stewart and KML. Who's the 5th starter? Chong or Tuck? None of them are freshmen...

It's possible one of the freshmen could be starter #5. I get that we will be relying on them coming off the bench but I could also see UCONN playing with the aforementioned 6 players in the NC game if needed...

And side note - 3 of the 4 UCONN recruits are consensus top 10 players (or close to it). Dunbar is somewhere north of 40 and i'm not sure Middleton is even top 20...

Reaction Score
We are? Projected starers of Stokes, Jefferson, Stewart and KML. Who's the 5th starter? Chong or Tuck? None of them are freshmen...

It's possible one of the freshmen could be starter #5. I get that we will be relying on them coming off the bench but I could also see UCONN playing with the aforementioned 6 players in the NC game if needed...

And side note - 3 of the 4 UCONN recruits are consensus top 10 players (or close to it). Dunbar is somewhere north of 40 and i'm not sure Middleton is even top 20...

Don't confuse the Lady Vol fans with logic.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

I'm merely pointing out that I've been seeing posts stating how our freshmen will fill needed roles on the team. For example, filling Hartley's shoes, message #5 on this thread. I understand what you're saying and do believe that it is a further stretch for the LV fresh to close their team's deficits than it is for our team, in part because our deficits aren't as great, in part because I think our coaching staff does a better job.

Reaction Score
Dunbar can shoot.

That's what I hear. But tell me, when is she going to play at the 3 ? A freshman ranked #78 by HoopGurlz is behind Burdick, Nared, and Jones at that position.
She's not going to be playing at the #2 guard. I just don't see how she will get much playing time. Let's be realistic, out of the 3 freshman, only Nared has a chance to play meaningful minutes and I would be shocked if she played more than 15 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
Huh? All possibilities are covered. Give me an outcome that does not fit one of these options:

(A) UConn vs ND or Tenn
(B) UConn vs Someone Besides ND/Tenn
(C) ND or Tenn vs Someone Besides UConn
(D) None of UConn, ND, or Tenn
The question you want answered:
Will UConn face Notre Dame or Tennessee in the national championship game on 4/9/15?

The question assumes UConn will win one of the final spots. There are only two possible answers for the other final spot. UConn will play ND or Tenn.

But you introduce other choices that don't fit the question. If I am an ND fan, there is no way to indicate ND will get the final spot. My only choice it to pick ND and Tenn. Very confusing. I'm not trying to make a big deal over this, just pointing out that the choices don't make sense given the question.

Reaction Score
Everything depends on Morgan. If she comes back strong by mid-season then,

images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members