Poll: Who is UConn's toughest regular season opponent in 2013-14? | The Boneyard

Poll: Who is UConn's toughest regular season opponent in 2013-14?

Who is UConn's toughest regular season opponent in 2013-14

• @Duke

Votes: 36 48.6%
  • @Louisville

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Vs. Stanford

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • @Baylor

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • @Maryland

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • @Penn State

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Voting on a computer- it's the American way!

Who is UConn's toughest opponent during the regular season? Some thoughts:

Duke- it's a road game. They do recruit well; at some point does that talent pay off? Unfortunately for Duke, they've historically had the offensive execution of Farleigh-Dickinson on LSD. Might the trend be discontinued?

Louisville- it's both at home and at the vaunted Yuck! center. Their crowd will be loud after an evening of hootin' and hollerin'. Mint Juleps will do that to you. I mean, Louisville practically pays you to attend rather than the other way around. Might as well spend the saved money on mint juleps. There may be no singing of My Old Kentucky Home here, but there's been little evidence that Jeff Walz has the horses to beat UConn. Can last year's national runners-up enjoy a cathartic revenge?

Stanford- If Stanford gets one vote and only one, it's because CardFan made it by. Yes, Stanford's injuries look to be a problem. Yes, Chiney looks to be absolutely fantastic. No, it doesn't look like Stanford can match up with UConn top to bottom in Hartford. It was a tough game for the Cardinal at the XL Center in 2009 and 2011. And since there very cleverly aren't any other Cardinals, this Cardinal probably expects to have a tough game in 2013. I mean, jeez, even the home game at Stanford last year was an unmitigated disaster.

Maryland- I think everyone gets the feeling that Maryland will be good next season...unless your Boneyard handle is John Glass. Everyone eagerly anticipates the meeting of these two powerhouse programs. Last year, the game was actually a bit tougher than it should have been at home. In Bridgeport, the Terps pretty much got mugged...and yes, it was in broad daylight, in public, and by a gang of chicks. Wonder why Bridgeport is considered one of the top five most dangerous cities in the country these days? I sure as hell don't. Then again, Prince George's County, MD ain't exactly soft either. Watch out Terps- a new gang of chicks is coming to College Park. Don't walk outside at night!

Penn State- There's a lot to like about Penn State. Maggie Lucas is a great shooter. The name "Coquese" is just fun to say, and she's a fine coach. [imagine a token Sandusky reference here]. Oh, and they will be third in a row after Stanford and Maryland. Solid gauntlet for UConn! This was another game that seemed a bit closer than expected last year, but UConn was also not in any real danger of losing. The Huskies were in real danger of completely losing their minds on offense. Should their minds be intact all the way to the Less-Happy-than-Hampshire-County,-MA Valley, UConn could win this one more convincingly.

Now vote- the future of this nation depends on it!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Can we agree to measure based upon actual MOV? I picked the Cardinal.

Reaction Score
A completely health Maryland team(they had 3 ACL injuries last year) lead by Alysaa Thomas, at College Park, early in the season... maybe the toughest win on that list.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
A healthy Maryland is a dangerous Maryland.

Dont count out Louisville. I think we play the Yum Center on senior night for Shoni Schimmel!

Reaction Score
Voting on a computer- it's the American way!

Who is UConn's toughest opponent during the regular season? Some thoughts:

Duke- it's a road game. They do recruit well; at some point does that talent pay off? Unfortunately for Duke, they've historically had the offensive execution of Farleigh-Dickinson on LSD. Might the trend be discontinued?

Louisville- it's both at home and at the vaunted Yuck! center. Their crowd will be loud after an evening of hootin' and hollerin'. Mint Juleps will do that to you. I mean, Louisville practically pays you to attend rather than the other way around. Might as well spend the saved money on mint juleps. There may be no singing of My Old Kentucky Home here, but there's been little evidence that Jeff Walz has the horses to beat UConn. Can last year's national runners-up enjoy a cathartic revenge?

Stanford- If Stanford gets one vote and only one, it's because CardFan made it by. Yes, Stanford's injuries look to be a problem. Yes, Chiney looks to be absolutely fantastic. No, it doesn't look like Stanford can match up with UConn top to bottom in Hartford. It was a tough game for the Cardinal at the XL Center in 2009 and 2011. And since there very cleverly aren't any other Cardinals, this Cardinal probably expects to have a tough game in 2013. I mean, jeez, even the home game at Stanford last year was an unmitigated disaster.

Maryland- I think everyone gets the feeling that Maryland will be good next season...unless your Boneyard handle is John Glass. Everyone eagerly anticipates the meeting of these two powerhouse programs. Last year, the game was actually a bit tougher than it should have been at home. In Bridgeport, the Terps pretty much got mugged...and yes, it was in broad daylight, in public, and by a gang of chicks. Wonder why Bridgeport is considered one of the top five most dangerous cities in the country these days? I sure as hell don't. Then again, Prince George's County, MD ain't exactly soft either. Watch out Terps- a new gang of chicks is coming to College Park. Don't walk outside at night!

Penn State- There's a lot to like about Penn State. Maggie Lucas is a great shooter. The name "Coquese" is just fun to say, and she's a fine coach. [imagine a token Sandusky reference here]. Oh, and they will be third in a row after Stanford and Maryland. Solid gauntlet for UConn! This was another game that seemed a bit closer than expected last year, but UConn was also not in any real danger of losing. The Huskies were in real danger of completely losing their minds on offense. Should their minds be intact all the way to the Less-Happy-than-Hampshire-County,-MA Valley, UConn could win this one more convincingly.

Now vote- the future of this nation depends on it!

If Maryland learns how to play defense, and which team to pass the ball to, they will be tough to beat.

Reaction Score
I voted Maryland... size and healthy guards should make it a good game...til halftime. Anyone read the Dolson interview? Its on the NH blog.

Reaction Score
A completely health Maryland team(they had 3 ACL injuries last year) lead by Alysaa Thomas, at College Park, early in the season... maybe the toughest win on that list.

I agree as I've been saying all along. Very physical and disruptive team.
Duke has little chance of beating us, barring injuries.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think with regard the three in a row; they'll all be tough games
With the last two being especially dangerous
But if we get through all three in good order,
The rest of the season will be a snap

U

UCONNfan1

If Maryland learns how to play defense, and which team to pass the ball to, they will be tough to beat.
Maryland plays much better defense than people give them credit for. Perhaps 3+ years ago the knock was they played no defense and tried to outscore everyone. I've watched them a bit the past few years and don't believe that to be true any more. Thomas alone is a beast on offense AND defense. I'll admit it's a small sampling and have no proof other than my unprofessional opinion, but there you have it!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I get the feeling it may be Maryland because they will be tough if healthy, they follow the Stanford game, which is normally a very emotional game, and with Penn State right after MD, I think this could be a bit of a rough go- possibly. I still think we will go undefeated- but MD could be rough!

Reaction Score
Last year preseason I had Maryland as a Final 4 team then came the 3 ACL injuries! I think if MD can remain healthy they'll play UCONN tough and possibly make the Final 4! DUKE has traditionally folded vs the Huskies so we'll have to see this year! They have the talent but............................................................

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Until MD shows the discipline and consistency it takes to be a dominant team against the best I just cannot take them seriously Asa F4 threat. They won one very lucky NC and then squandered the talent on that team for 3 more years. Their resume just doesn't warrant expecting great things from them. I expect them to be 3rd in the ACC.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I voted Maryland as well because they impressed me last year - an undermanned team that suffered three ACLs and still competed hard and yes, played defense. Not all that impressed with the HC but with the right assistants the results can be good. And any team with a star player can be dangerous.
I will be curious to see how well we play defensively - KF will be missed, and who steps into the role of defensive stopper against the opponents top offensive threat will be an interesting development with this team. The coaching has always been good in terms of game planning on the defensive end - in the last 15 years seldom has a star player been able to hit their averages offensively against Uconn, but ...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Great question. My first thought was Duke because a) there is loads of talent; b) the game is at Cameron with the crazies; and c) let's face it, Duke under Coach P is due for a win over UConn.

Then I realized that the game is during Christmas break so there should be fewer crazies in the stands. Then I watched the last 2:18 of this video

and I voted for Maryland.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Great question. My first thought was Duke because a) there is loads of talent; b) the game is at Cameron with the crazies; and c) let's face it, Duke under Coach P is due for a win over UConn.

Then I realized that the game is during Christmas break so there should be fewer crazies in the stands. Then I watched the last 2:18 of this video

My favorite part of the video was the couple of nice plays by Banks and thinking how great it will be to see her play like that again this year.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Until MD shows the discipline and consistency it takes to be a dominant team against the best I just cannot take them seriously Asa F4 threat. They won one very lucky NC and then squandered the talent on that team for 3 more years. Their resume just doesn't warrant expecting great things from them. I expect them to be 3rd in the ACC.
Expect, no. Final Four threat, not particularly likely. But, none-the-less, a dangerous team, sometimes because they haven't always shown the consistency. Defense has been much better at times of late - a number of years ago now, RU played them and they played excellent defense; if nothing else, we RU fans know good defense when we see it. Actually, we know good offense, which Maryland likewise has, we just don't see so much of it sometimes.

I expect all the listed teams to be quite strong (duh). While nothing is a done deal until UConn hits the court, like many folks I have your team penciled in to go all the way, with few hiccups along the way.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Thanks for posting that - had totally forgotten about that devastating half of basketball we laid on Duke. And the highlights were such pretty basketball. Loved the glimpse of our seniors and the reminders of what we have returning.
Not a whole lot of love being shown to MJ on the board (with all the other exciting players coming back maybe understandable) but I think between the end of last year plus the USA stint her confidence level will be much higher this coming year and the results will be very impressive. On that USA team she didn't have overly impressive stats except for one - minutes played. That number showed who was the coach believed was the best floor general and the confidence the rest of the team had in her.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
On that USA team she didn't have overly impressive stats except for one - minutes played. That number showed who was the coach believed was the best floor general and the confidence the rest of the team had in her.

Two other impressive stats for MJ: 31 assists and 9 turnovers. That's probably why she played so many minutes.

Alexis Jones had more assists (39) but also 24 turnovers. Harper had one more assist (32) but 16 turnovers.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Expect, no. Final Four threat, not particularly likely. But, none-the-less, a dangerous team, sometimes because they haven't always shown the consistency. Defense has been much better at times of late - a number of years ago now, RU played them and they played excellent defense; if nothing else, we RU fans know good defense when we see it. Actually, we know good offense, which Maryland likewise has, we just don't see so much of it sometimes.

I expect all the listed teams to be quite strong (duh). While nothing is a done deal until UConn hits the court, like many folks I have your team penciled in to go all the way, with few hiccups along the way.
Agreed. But if you aren't a F4 team then it is likely you aren't the biggest threat to UCONN this season. Maryland's offense has never functioned well against tough defensive teams who take care of the ball on their own end.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Duke and UMD standing out in this poll. I like it- two early season games. By the time 2013 comes to a close, we've got to feel good if we've continued our ACC winning streak, as well as gone 3-0 in the Stanford-UMD-Penn State gauntlet in a week in November.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Two other impressive stats for MJ: 31 assists and 9 turnovers. That's probably why she played so many minutes.

Alexis Jones had more assists (39) but also 24 turnovers. Harper had one more assist (32) but 16 turnovers.
From Meier's interview on Dishin & Swishin:

Meiers: "I thought that Moriah Jefferson's play was the difference... She was just unbelievable with the ball."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom