POLL: Which UConn Game from the 2014-15 was the best showcase for WCBB? | The Boneyard

POLL: Which UConn Game from the 2014-15 was the best showcase for WCBB?

Which of these UConn games from last season was the best showcase for WCBB?

• @ Stanford

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • vs. South Carolina

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • Dayton (Albany regional finals)

Votes: 44 57.9%
  • Notre Dame (for the national championship)

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Those who love and support WCBB love it when a game serves as the best showcase for the sport. Oftentimes, such games, when they happen, involve UConn, but it's not mandatory. For instance, Baylor-Louisville 2013 was arguably a great showcase that didn't involve the Huskies. That all being said, which UConn game from this past season best showcased the sport? I have some candidates:

Stanford- That was an unfortunate game for UConn fans, but it was certainly exciting and discussed by many sports fans.

South Carolina- Great WCBB game atmosphere, and extremely well played by the Huskies. It didn't deliver a close game between #1 vs. #2, but you saw #2 seize the top ranking with great precision and nearly flawless execution.

Dayton- UConn ended up winning this game decisively, but Dayton ran some great offense and shot tremendously well in the first half. Meanwhile, Stewart showcased herself as the best player in WCBB, KML set a significant record for three-point shooting, Morgan was brilliant, and Moriah scored on some stunning layups.

Notre Dame (NC game)- Well, this game was chippy at times and featured a lot of turnovers, but it was a highly competitive, high-stakes game between bitter rivals. All things considered, it was an exciting game for all the marbles.

Or perhaps there was another game that you thought was a better showcase for the sport.

Voting is above!

Reaction Score
I voted for Dayton, for two reasons. One there was a lot of good offensive execution and shot making, scoring is exciting. Two there was a little guy playing quality basketball which shows there is good stuff beyond the P5. ND and Stanford have been good forever, and while South Carolina is new on the scene with their institutional advantages (football $$$$$/decision to invest in WCBB) its no surprise they are able to have success. UConn is a phenomenal ambassador for the game because of their consistent excellence, and how they play so hard all the time. Programs like Dayton this year with a good team playing a fun high scoring style of basketball I think will also bring in fans.

Reaction Score
For me it's a toss-up between Dayton and SC. I ruled out the championship game because I didn't think it was particularly well-played (and UConn still won by 10). Stanford was exciting but so anomalous that I can't vote for it. And besides, you want to see the good team play well, and they didn't come close in this game.

The SC game was wonderful, with the 1 vs 2 atmosphere and the fact that it was tight for a while. But I think I'd vote for the Dayton game, for a couple of reasons. First there was a huge amount of offense on both sides. That first half was just an amazing thing to watch. Second, there was the Cinderella aspect of the game, which you don't always get to see in WCBB. It was hard not to love the guts demonstrated by the Dayton players, just as it's hard not to love the quality of the game as played by UConn. So it wasn't close at the end, but what a trip it was to get there!

Reaction Score
For me it is SC just a little ahead of the Dayton game. I thought the SC game made an emphatic statement. The Dayton game showed sheer willpower.

Reaction Score
Those who love and support WCBB love it when a game serves as the best showcase for the sport. Oftentimes, such games, when they happen, involve UConn, but it's not mandatory. For instance, Baylor-Louisville 2013 was arguably a great showcase that didn't involve the Huskies. That all being said, which UConn game from this past season best showcased the sport? I have some candidates:

Stanford- That was an unfortunate game for UConn fans, but it was certainly exciting and discussed by many sports fans.

South Carolina- Great WCBB game atmosphere, and extremely well played by the Huskies. It didn't deliver a close game between #1 vs. #2, but you saw #2 seize the top ranking with great precision and nearly flawless execution.

Dayton- UConn ended up winning this game decisively, but Dayton ran some great offense and shot tremendously well in the first half. Meanwhile, Stewart showcased herself as the best player in WCBB, KML set a significant record for three-point shooting, Morgan was brilliant, and Moriah scored on some stunning layups.

Notre Dame (NC game)- Well, this game was chippy at times and featured a lot of turnovers, but it was a highly competitive, high-stakes game between bitter rivals. All things considered, it was an exciting game for all the marbles.

Or perhaps there was another game that you thought was a better showcase for the sport.

Voting is above!
Dayton--absolutely. It was David against Golath. Dayton shot the ball from all over the floor with accuracy. Their Malott and Hoover were exceptional and the remaining 10 played with a toughness rarely seen. They knew they could win and played that way. At the end there were a few tears--but mostly they toughed it out. Great game, well coach, well played. Pleasure to watch and a bit frightening to me because Uconn , for a half, looked like they could actually lose. I bet there were 40 million viewers rooting for Dayton..
Stanford ---only meant something to Stanford the rest of the WBB forgot it in two weeks.
NC game--wasn't fun to watch, unless you were a Uconn fan
SC---another team poking the Lion in the Lions den and not much fun for the Anti-Uconn crowd.
Uconn like the Yankees of old--people watched to see them lose and Uconn always won by double digits.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Dayton was the best of the year. Back and forth the entire first half. Little Dayton not backing down from big/ bad UCONN. Of course we all know how the second half played out.

Second best was SC. The #1 coming into Gampel, with all the hype of their big front line and how no one could handle them down low. SC found out who the real #1 was all year with a beat down and ineffective front line.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Dayton - because of the quality of basketball being played - even in the second half Dayton was not playing poorly, Uconn just found another gear and Dayton could not keep up their incredible shooting from the first half.

SC was a great atmosphere but the game lacked drama and didn't have the fun of a David/Golieth

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Definitely the Stanford game, because for a few weeks it gave the rest of WCBB hope that UCONN was beatable. UCONN grew as a team out of that loss and was able to decisively squash that little hope at ND and against SC. Rest of the season went about as predicted.

Reaction Score
Not the SC game because SC was the great hype hope to unseat UConn and the Huskies handled them easily.

I voted Dayton because UConn was at it's best and Dayton was able to end the first half with a lead.

But if your a fan of great basketball any game that has UConn playing is the best showcase for WCB because viewers are seeing the best.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Dayton without a doubt, because the question was what was best for highlighting WCBB, not UConn, and I cannot imagine anything else last season highlighting WCBB better than a middy team hanging with our Huskies for 20 minutes on the big stage. Best as a Husky fan after putting up with pretenders for 2 1/2 months: the SC beat down, Oh Yeah!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I will say one could argue the national championship game was a showcase for good defense in WCBB. That would be the best case to be made for that choice. And of course, it was a fan favorite game for UConn faithful!

Of course, I figured the Dayton game would be the leader...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom