POLL: is UConn-Duke a preview of the 2014 NC game? | The Boneyard

POLL: is UConn-Duke a preview of the 2014 NC game?

I UConn-Duke a national championship game preview in 2014?

• Heck yes...and merry christmas!

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Hell no...and bah humbug!

Votes: 50 80.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Tuesday 12/17- it's game night! #1 vs. #2. Both teams have been clear in their rankings thus far. If UCOnn wins, it further confirms the Huskies' standing atop WCBB since winning the 2013 National Championship and returning basically everyone except Kelly. If Duke wins, they're the new #1 team in WCBB, which would be an astounding turn of events for them.

But in any case, are these two teams, the two who had preseason claim to tops in the country, destined to meet again for a national championship in 2014 (a la UCOnn-Stanford this time of year in 2009)? Go ahead and vote!

Reaction Score
I haven't seen either Duke or N.D. play but I have this gut feeling that N.D. will rough them up in conference play. Just a feeling so don't make me defend it. :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Come the end of Tuesday evening's contest I hope the Dukies will be pleading the affluenza defense. Seriously, I do expect them to lose and to slip into the lower reaches of the top 10 as the season lengthens.

Reaction Score
My guess is it will be ND and us in the final.
That's my vote too! They are the only other well balanced, well coached, capable of beating everyone else team in WCBB from what I've seen so far this year. (of course it is early for some to get better)

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Too early to tell at this point.

I really wanna see how the ACC shakes out.

When do ND and Duke play???

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
That's my vote too! They are the only other well balanced, well coached, capable of beating everyone else team in WCBB from what I've seen so far this year. (of course it is early for some to get better)
Yup.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
February 2 at Duke....
And Feb 23rd in South Bend. And possibly in the ACC tourney. And possibly in the NCAA's. Duke assumed UConn's unenviable position of potentially playing ND 4 times/year. Notre Dame moves from facing last season's preseason #2 team 4 times to potentially facing this season's preseason #2 team 4 times.

Reaction Score
And Feb 23rd in South Bend. And possibly in the ACC tourney. And possibly in the NCAA's. Duke assumed UConn's unenviable position of potentially playing ND 4 times/year. Notre Dame moves from facing last season's preseason #2 team 4 times to potentially facing this season's preseason #2 team 4 times.

Agree with this, although I could see Maryland bumping either one off in the ACC tournament.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Agree with this, although I could see Maryland bumping either one off in the ACC tournament.
At this point, I certainly cannot disagree with you. We'll know more as the conference season starts. Notre Dame plays @Maryland and @ Duke and hosts UNC and Duke. Duke has a tougher schedule, as they host Notre Dame, UNC and Maryland and visit Notre Dame and UNC. But note that I said that Duke possibly plays ND 4 times.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Come the end of Tuesday evening's contest I hope the Dukies will be pleading the affluenza defense. Seriously, I do expect them to lose and to slip into the lower reaches of the top 10 as the season lengthens.
I doubt that Duke drops out of the top 5. What 5 teams could replace them? Here, I'll get you started: UConn, Notre Dame, Stanford, either UK or Tenn (but not both) and ... I don't see Duke dropping so low, not with all that senior leadership.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think ND has more mental toughness and experience winning big games than Duke. I think ND is the 2nd best team. If the Dukies get ND 4x in a season, they need to be prepared for a tough 160 minutes.

Reaction Score
Duke matches up far better with ND, personal wise, than they do with Uconn. When dealing with teams close in ability match ups become paramount.

Reaction Score
Could be. I expected more out of MD, but they really stunk out the gym against us last month.

Reaction Score
No, it will be a preview for a semi-final instead, not the championship game. I don't think they will put UConn and ND in the semi-final for the fourth time in a row.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Duke matches up far better with ND, personal wise, than they do with Uconn. When dealing with teams close in ability match ups become paramount.

Don't believe that for a second.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Why not?

Uconn is a matchup nightmare. ND? Not as much.

My bad…I don't know how I missed the UConn aspect
Of course, UConn is impossible for anyone….where do you start?

I was thinking that Duke won't matchup so well with ND; players or coaches.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I doubt that Duke drops out of the top 5. What 5 teams could replace them? Here, I'll get you started: UConn, Notre Dame, Stanford, either UK or Tenn (but not both) and ... I don't see Duke dropping so low, not with all that senior leadership.

Sorry, you can't ask a question and say what can be in the answer - both UK and Tenn and Louisville and Maryland. By the end of the year Duke could well in fact deserve to be in top 4-5, but they will sag IMO.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
National championship prediction: UConn vs. Tennessee (finally)

In that it's far to early for me to make even the most ridiculous of predictions and then when that's combined with my highly suspect picking ability even in the best of circumstances, I'll let loose with a gut feeling ::: I agree... well, sort of agree...

National championship prediction: UConn vs. Tennessee (ugh!!!)

YOPB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22