Poll - Is it time to end the Omar Calhoun experiment? | The Boneyard

Poll - Is it time to end the Omar Calhoun experiment?

Is it time to bench Omar?

• Yes.

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • No.

Votes: 14 22.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've personally seen enough.

He should now come off the bench and play a supporting role until he does something during a game to merit a greater role on the team.

His brick laying is really hurting the team, as he seems to miss every shot that could be an energy booster or otherwise turn momentum when we need it. His confidence is shot, and his shot lacks confidence.

Bench him and let him work his way out of it.

Reaction Score
Bench him and let him work his way out of it.

I think it's a valid question, but this particular statement is an oxymoron. How can he work his way out of it if he's never on the court?

I think the thing to do is: give him a token start, see if he has it in that particular game. If he doesn't, give him a bench player's minutes (~15) and go with a heavy dose of Kromah and Giffey at the 3.

Reaction Score
I've been saying it all year. The brick laying is one thing. The lack or passing, defense, and rebounding is another. For a one dimensional player, he's not very good at his "specialty". And that's being generous. He's not a very good shooter and can't create his own shot or beat a man off the dribble. Since he can't make up for it in other ways, the time has come to reduce his PT
considerably

Reaction Score
I think it's a valid question, but this particular statement is an oxymoron. How can he work his way out of it if he's never on the court?
Come on man, this isn't multivariable calculus for God's sake. By "bench him" I meant, "don't start him," and I figured that anybody who follows the team would understand that. Of course I didn't mean never play the kid again.

Jesus. It's like having to explain how to work a spoon.

Reaction Score
Come on man, this isn't multivariable calculus for God's sake. By "bench him" I meant, "don't start him," and I figured that anybody who follows the team would understand that. Of course I didn't mean never play the kid again.

Jesus. It's like having to explain how to work a spoon.

Usually when someone says "bench him", they mean "stick him on the bench and don't let him off", not "let him come off the bench, rather than start".

I'd be worried about losing Omar mentally by demoting him to a bench role. Keeping him as a starter, with the option of giving him only limited minutes, rather than true starter's minutes, doesn't run that risk while still being able to field the best team for the most minutes.

P.S. I kicked the ish out of multivariable calculus.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Tenspro2002 said:
I'd be worried about losing Omar mentally by demoting him to a bench role.

He isn't bringing a lot to the table right now, even if he's in a good place mentally.

Reaction Score
Is it a sure thing Niels would get more shots if Omar sits?

I think Niels took 4 shots tonight?

You would think against a zone Niels would have been a bigger factor. He's one of the big reasons why I don't have any clue what identity this team has. Is he a big factor or not? His effectiveness and how he is used seems to change game to game and even half to half.

Reaction Score
I'd be worried about losing Omar mentally by demoting him to a bench role.

That's the wild card. No one here knows Omar's mental makeup. For some kids, that type of kick in the butt is exactly what they need. For others, it'd ruin them. I don't profess to have any idea how he'd react.

Reaction Score
That's the wild card. No one here knows Omar's mental makeup. For some kids, that type of kick in the butt is exactly what they need. For others, it's ruin them.
You mean, he might go 0 for 8 instead of 1 for 8?

Reaction Score

I think the thing to do is: give him a token start, see if he has it in that particular game. If he doesn't, give him a bench player's minutes (~15) and go with a heavy dose of Kromah and Giffey at the 3.

When exactly is he going to finally "work his way out of it"

It's a season and a half into his career and he still can't shoot, beat his man off the dribble, create his own shot, defend, rebound, pass etc. it seems like I'm ripping him but this is the truth. He has no true position and lacks quickness and athleticism. And he's a shooting guard who can't shoot.

People keep acting like its a funk. It's who he is. Hopefully he will learn to move off the ball and work on his shooting, but it's never going to miraculously click for Omar. He's a limited player. It's not like he's a completely raw athlete bursting with talent.

Reaction Score
I heard Ollie say a couple days ago that he hopes OC is still around next year. What? I'm starting to think bench him and start Giffey (and get Giff more shots when he's in) and let him transfer if he's not happy. There's not a spot for him anyhow next year when Hamilton arrives.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks he can't shoot didnt watch him last year. Dont give up on him, especially after a night where everybody looked bad!

Reaction Score
The only problem is that if he's not shooting well, we're down to 4 players on O. Their zone was able to ignore him and focus on Bazz. Their zone did ignore Giffey at times but unfortunately so did our team.

Reaction Score
The best way to get out of a slump is to play hard on the defense end and get your teammates more involved. This idea that Omar will get out of it by simply shooting more cost the team a win last night. On a night when UConn was exposed and with very few posistives, the largest negative I took from the game was Omar Calhoun.

Reaction Score
djct1999 said:
The best way to get out of a slump is to play hard on the defense end and get your teammates more involved. This idea that Omar will get out of it by simply shooting more cost the team a win last night. On a night when UConn was exposed and with very few posistives, the largest negative I took from the game was Omar Calhoun.

The entire team looked awful. Omar really didnt force shots, he took the ones he was open for. He missed, as did everyone else. Can't say he "cost the team" the W--he didn't play any differently than he has been. Ya he's been slumping but he's not the scapegoat in this loss.

Reaction Score
He absolutely forced shots and barely touched iron. I admit blaming the loss on him was hyperbole but he has been, is and will continue to be a liability on the floor.

Reaction Score
Kromah should be getting more minutes than OC. He's a better defender, a better rebounder and at this point he has shot the ball better. But last nights loss was not only because of Omar. It takes a total team effort to only score 13 points in a half.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Yes, he has had enough chances now. I was really pulling for OC but until he's a) clearly recovered from surgery and whatever happened to his ankle in practice; and b) demonstrated he can make the wide open looks he's getting, he needs to sit and give a chance for the production players to produce. Right now, he ain't one of them. Neils actually got more minutes last night, so let's see if Kromah starts getting some of OC's minutes.

Reaction Score
Isn't the problem mainly that he is not a small forward?!

Rewriting lineups on the internet is a snipe hunt, but I simply think Omar Calhoun is a guard

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
We need Shoot and Slash Omar. We need NYC Big Shot Omar. It's December, you play through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom