Poll - How Many Regular Season Game will UConn Lose? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Poll - How Many Regular Season Game will UConn Lose?

How Many Regular Season Games Will UConn Lose This Year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was thinking not very many. 3 would be a disappointing season. 2 might be ok, if we win the last game. 1 would match last year.

0 looked very attainable until I read about Natalie being out for 2 months. Her injury increases the chances of a loss, but it may allow for the freshmen to grow, which could help us later in the season.

The team has won 37 in a row and a National Championship with Tuck/Stewart playing 4/5... doubt they lose with Butler out.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The Butler's injury until Xmas is a factor in the 12/5 ND game, where Turner will not have that 6'5" opponent to be the possible neutralizing force. But if we have the recruiting class of 2012 alongside our group of underclasswomen, the wrath of God/ess still applies until we get to open our holiday gift.

Maybe since we're all meeting inside MSG at the Maggie Dixon game against UMD, we can collectively open that gift? We'll have to see if Natalie can play by then...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The team has won 37 in a row and a National Championship with Tuck/Stewart playing 4/5... doubt they lose with Butler out.
You are discounting Stokes contribution in those 37 games especially the 18 (difference making) rebounds she pulled down in the ND game at South Bend.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We had Kiah Stokes last year. She came up big in several games.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
MilfordHusky said:
We had Kiah Stokes last year. She came up big in several games.

Thank you! A big post presence does come in handy from time to time ... There are those games when nothing else will do.

Not saying we can't still be heavily favored when we step on the court but against certain combos, a true big is needed. Without one, our margin is certainly tighter.

This does not apply to the 90% of our schedule that will be a walkover regardless. As is nearly always the case in the last few years, the Huskies basically play two distinct schedules. One schedule is comprised of about 3-4 games that can actually be interesting. Those are the games I'm talking about. Size in the post may not matter all that much -- *or it may* --- depending on the match up. For the other schedule, "It's whatever" as the kids say.

Reaction Score
I think that poll was how many games will UCONN lose in the season... this poll is just for the regular season. I presume in a few weeks there will be another poll... how many games will UCONN lose in the post season :rolleyes:
2?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
All this talk about KML and Stokes. They've graduated so somebody else has to step up. That's why we're a team. We have a great bench coming back from last season and a terrific freshman class. We will be fine. Don't forget ND has to defend us.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Geno-ista- I'm guessing the FSU sophomore you are referring to is Shakayla Thomas. As a 5'11" forward, she's very impressive physically and has simply fantastic athleticism, strength and off-the-charts leaping ability. Here are her freshman year stats:

THOMAS: 19 mpg....10 points pg....4.8 reb.pg...48/90 free throws....11 assists....25 blocks....24 steals....49 turnovers....0/0 three-pointers

Well, let's not forget that UConn has this kid named Gabby Williams who's also a 5'11" sophomore forward and here are her freshman stats:

WILLIAMS:15.5 mpg....8.3 points pg...5.7 reb.pg...42/91 free throws...50 assists...14 blocks....46 steals....40 turnovers...0/1 three pointers

Gabby Williams, by almost every measure, is equal to if not superior to that "incredible" Shakayla Thomas (ACC 6th man of year, 1st team All ACC Tournament). Interesting that both kids showed zero 3-point or mid-range shooting ability, both were really lousy free throw shooters, and both are under-sized demons inside and on the glass.

Gabby has all the natural ability in the world. If she puts in (or hopefully has already put in) the requisite work on her weak areas, then she, too, is going to be "incredible." And Gabby has the advantage of being coached by the best in the business. I'm expecting greatness from her.

[btw-it's interesting that you like Turner and Davis so much despite their offensive games being so limited and completely one-dimensional, while Morgan is the underrated WCBB queen of versatility and excellence.]
-apologies for running a bit off topic, but I love that Williams kid and couldn't resist.
Great rsvp- thanks for that! I'm a monster M Tuck fan- she has a feel for the game like Stef did, KML & Kelly Farris. Natural instincts and she rarely panicky with the ball- even as a freshman in big spots in the playoffs! I think those other young ladies will be prolific pros too!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Geno-ista- I'm guessing the FSU sophomore you are referring to is Shakayla Thomas. As a 5'11" forward, she's very impressive physically and has simply fantastic athleticism, strength and off-the-charts leaping ability. Here are her freshman year stats:

THOMAS: 19 mpg....10 points pg....4.8 reb.pg...48/90 free throws....11 assists....25 blocks....24 steals....49 turnovers....0/0 three-pointers

Well, let's not forget that UConn has this kid named Gabby Williams who's also a 5'11" sophomore forward and here are her freshman stats:

WILLIAMS:15.5 mpg....8.3 points pg...5.7 reb.pg...42/91 free throws...50 assists...14 blocks....46 steals....40 turnovers...0/1 three pointers

Gabby Williams, by almost every measure, is equal to if not superior to that "incredible" Shakayla Thomas (ACC 6th man of year, 1st team All ACC Tournament). Interesting that both kids showed zero 3-point or mid-range shooting ability, both were really lousy free throw shooters, and both are under-sized demons inside and on the glass.

Gabby has all the natural ability in the world. If she puts in (or hopefully has already put in) the requisite work on her weak areas, then she, too, is going to be "incredible." And Gabby has the advantage of being coached by the best in the business. I'm expecting greatness from her.

[btw-it's interesting that you like Turner and Davis so much despite their offensive games being so limited and completely one-dimensional, while Morgan is the underrated WCBB queen of versatility and excellence.]
-apologies for running a bit off topic, but I love that Williams kid and couldn't resist.

Let's not forget that Thomas was picking up her stats in the ACC, not the AAC. There is a big difference in the level of competition.

Reaction Score
Certainly wasn't me. I think this team goes undefeated this year.
I tend to agree, an outcome that will please most of us, but will cause a collective yawn around the rest of the country. I guess it's anathema to say this here, but although I take a backseat to no one as a Husky fan, better times are coming to WCBB in 2016-17 and beyond. UConn will remain formidable, and will be a part of the Final Four conversation (and will remain so as long as Geno remains active), but lots of other teams are successfully loading up, including your favorite team, Baylor, as well as ND, Tenn, Maryland, Duke, FSU, Louisville, etc. This is a great development and should bring lots of much-needed excitement to the women's game. I hope so, anyway...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Kiah Stokes hardly played at all against South Carolina and UConn won by 25 points. Although Stokes had a terrific game against ND in South Bend -- a game in which Turner did not play -- Kiah was not much of a factor in the championship game (10 minutes, 4 pts, 2 rebounds and 0 blocks). In other words, I think Stewart and Tuck can somehow manage to hold down the fort in the post until Natalie Butler is ready to go.

The legend of Natalie Butler grows: Starter, better offensive player than Dolson, key to an undefeated season.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Better times are coming to WCBB in 2016-17 and beyond. UConn will remain formidable, and will be a part of the Final Four conversation (and will remain so as long as Geno remains active), but lots of other teams are successfully loading up, including Baylor, ND, Tenn, Maryland, Duke, FSU, Louisville, etc. This is a great development and should bring lots of much-needed excitement to the women's game. I hope so, anyway...

Superb post. Echos what Geno has often said in response to the "UConn is bad for basketball" crowd. He has persistently challenged other schools to emulate UConn and get better.

And they are doing it - at the schools, er, programs you cited. They are aided in some degree by this "rule":

"There are two kinds of quality HS players: those who want to play for UConn and those who want to (go elsewhere and) beat UConn."

Have we seen some of this recently?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Let's not forget that Thomas was picking up her stats in the ACC, not the AAC. There is a big difference in the level of competition.
We will not hold it against her - she did seem to do OK when the competition improved! :rolleyes:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
We will not hold it against her - she did seem to do OK when the competition improved! :rolleyes:

Williams logged 3 minutes in the championship game against ND and finished with zero points and 1 rebound. In the semi-final game she logged 6 minutes and finished with 3 points and 1 rebound. In the regional final against Dayton Williams had 5 minutes, zero points and zero rebounds. Thomas produced her stats against better teams so their stats are hardly a way to compare the two.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Williams logged 3 minutes in the championship game against ND and finished with zero points and 1 rebound. In the semi-final game she logged 6 minutes and finished with 3 points and 1 rebound. In the regional final against Dayton Williams had 5 minutes, zero points and zero rebounds. Thomas produced her stats against better teams so their stats are hardly a way to compare the two.
That was a joking reply of mine - we here are sort of sensitive about the AAC strength, so we use humor to ease the pain!

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Wow. Somebody actually voted 5 or more losses!
Either a visitor from another school or someone afraid of bad mojo for predicting good things?

Grateful to Triad for confessing how the four-loss vote came to be.

As to the five-loss vote, may I present an alternative theory?

Perhaps the person sneezed at just the moment he/she was voting and engaged the wrong bubble.

Wait a second - I see there are now two votes for both 4 and 5 losses. I detect a conspiracy. Maybe Geno had the staff cast these ballots as a bit of reverse psychology to juice up the team, and the fan base because we are so dispassionate about this team. :p

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Anyone else catch this on ESPNW today?

Attachments

• noway.PNG
    noway.PNG
    22.6 KB · Views: 29
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online