Poll - How long will the Hillsman hire last? | The Boneyard

Poll - How long will the Hillsman hire last?

How long will Q Hillsman last?

• Less than one week

• Less than one month

• He stays

Results are only viewable after voting.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Although we're at the cusp of the blitz of final four reporting, it will be interesting to see if Ole Miss rides this out and hopes that FF, portal, WNBA news outplays the simmering outrage of the QH hire.

On edit - a friendly reminder to keep any dialogue civil. This is just a poll to guess how long the hiring decision will last.

Last edited:

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I am willing to guess and hope that QH, following the Syracuse debacle, was able to get some therapeutic help. If so, the new gig may last quite a while. If not, and he is unchanged, this should be like the short lived European appointment.

Reaction Score
I am willing to guess and hope that QH, following the Syracuse debacle, was able to get some therapeutic help. If so, the new gig may last quite a while. If not, and he is unchanged, this should be like the short lived European appointment.
The thing is, he needed to do that work before anyone hired him to coach again - especially coach the same kind of athletes he got in trouble with. "On the job therapy" is not really a thing.

If he has gotten some help, a) I'd think we'd hear about that, and b) I would still want him to prove he could handle himself in a lower stakes environment than a D1 position.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Unless the Mississippi hiring and selection committee have lived in a cave for the past several years, there is no way they are unaware of the circumstances surrounding Hillsman's departure from Syracuse and the allegations, reports, etc. It seems either they don't care, or believe he's changed. Either way, there is no way they take back the offer IMHO.

Surprising and disappointing. Someone asked "what parent would want their kid to play for him"? We will see who on the team stays, and what recruits he's able to get.

Reaction Score
Southerners tend to have a little more back bone. Won't crumble to pressure like in the North East or Pacific North West.

Reaction Score
Oof. That's a bad hire IMHO. I don't know what they were thinking.

Hard to say how long he'll last, but I am skeptical if he can produce results even if he's actually changed for the better as a person. I was never overly impressed with him as a coach.

Edit: Just saw he was hired as only an assistant. Yeah, they should just let him go.

Reaction Score
Huh?
In the North East, a person with a history is hired. The mob loudly objects. The job offer is rescinded. In the South, the hire is made and no amount of protest changes the decision once made.

Reaction Score
In the North East, a person with a history is hired. The mob loudly objects. The job offer is rescinded. In the South, the hire is made and no amount of protest changes the decision once made.
So that's considered back bone? It's coming across that you sound proud of the fact Southerners shrug their shoulders at something like this.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'm from the Northeast, I'm familiar with the differences, but IMO, people don't protest much in the South, they're more likely to accept the status quo.

Reaction Score

Hmm, have you ever heard of Greg Schiano or Art Briles?

In general though there does seem to be a higher willingness to embrace sleaze in the South if the people hiring perceive it will lead to winning. Auburn in particular seems to get turned on by bad behavior.

I will say I didn't follow the details of Hillsman closely, but seemed like the allegations were mostly jerk coach behavior that wouldn't necessarily be disqualifying. More a question of whether you wanted to take on that baggage in recruiting.

An assistant doesn't necessarily have the latitude to behave that way.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Hmm, have you ever heard of Greg Schiano or Art Briles?

In general though there does seem to be a higher willingness to embrace sleaze in the South if the people hiring perceive it will lead to winning. Auburn in particular seems to get turned on by bad behavior.

I will say I didn't follow the details of Hillsman closely, but seemed like the allegations were mostly jerk coach behavior that wouldn't necessarily be disqualifying. More a question of whether you wanted to take on that baggage in recruiting.

An assistant doesn't necessarily have the latitude to behave that way.
Hillsman's behavior was jerk with a bit of sexual inuendo IIRC, but yeah, mostly jerk and somewhat bizarre. It was bad enough that the baggage would almost certainly keep a school from hiring him as a head coach, and I do agree that an Asst. may not be able to behave that way, but - no, at least in my opinion, he really didn't need to be hired.

Schiano and Briles I don't think are anything like each other. Wasn't Briles involved with something shady? Schiano has never really had any hint of being in the know and involved with the Penn State stuff, it was just ginned up because folks didn't want him at Tennessee. And no lie, even as a Rutgers fan who has to respect what he did in his first go-round, I wouldn't want him at Arizona. Not for bad reasons, just that I think he is limited as a coach. I really can't imagine him successful at a Tennessee, although of course, who knows. I didn't even want him back at Rutgers, but will acknowledge there is still potential there.

Reaction Score
Hillsman's behavior was jerk with a bit of sexual inuendo IIRC, but yeah, mostly jerk and somewhat bizarre. It was bad enough that the baggage would almost certainly keep a school from hiring him as a head coach, and I do agree that an Asst. may not be able to behave that way, but - no, at least in my opinion, he really didn't need to be hired.

Schiano and Briles I don't think are anything like each other. Wasn't Briles involved with something shady? Schiano has never really had any hint of being in the know and involved with the Penn State stuff, it was just ginned up because folks didn't want him at Tennessee. And no lie, even as a Rutgers fan who has to respect what he did in his first go-round, I wouldn't want him at Arizona. Not for bad reasons, just that I think he is limited as a coach. I really can't imagine him successful at a Tennessee, although of course, who knows. I didn't even want him back at Rutgers, but will acknowledge there is still potential there.
His behaviour was part of it but it also was his hiring decisions of people who had records/reputation of inappropriate behaviour. What I remember is that Syracuse was originally going to stick by him, including a press conference to address the matter. Then the investigation was conducted and they reversed course rather quickly. For that to happen, it definitely wasn't good.

If players co-signed for him, I have to shrug my shoulders and wish them the best. Just hope this doesn't blow up in Ole Miss' face. Northern Kentucky is now dealing with the repercussions of giving their coach the benefit of the doubt after their own investigation into complaints back in 2019. She's now suspended with another investigation underway.

Reaction Score
Rick Pitino currently coaches at St Johns does he not? St Johns is located in the northeast I believe?

I’m not buying this south vs north stuff when it comes to hiring and protests and the like. I believe there have been many famous protests in the south throughout the years.

I also believe that sports are different, right or wrong. In general fans put up with sleaze if sleaze is masked by winning. Urban Meyer (is Ohio state in the south?), Rick Pitino, Hugh Freeze, Bobby Petrino … the list goes on. If you win - you’ll get a job. It may be in the south. It may be in the west. It may be in the north. But you’ll find a home because at the end of the day fans want to win.

I’m not saying I agree or support that. I’m just saying what I have observed over the years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom