Plus/Minus Wolf vs Olander | The Boneyard

Plus/Minus Wolf vs Olander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Posted by OkaforPrez in previous post - In 2nd half Wolf + 15 Olander -11. Need Wolf in the game more moving forward

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why Olander continues to start. It's such a defensive liability with him at the 5. Rutgers attacked the rim all day when he was in, when wolf came in it was travels and kick outs, altered shots and blocks. Wolf was the player of the game today IMO. Miller in the post game brought up the stat JC used to speak to about our best defensive teams. # of 3 consecutive stop "sets" per game. Miller said since he has been back with the team uconn has never lost a game in which they do this 5 times. Today we did it 7 times. Wolf was at the center of a lot of these sets and I would not be surprised if he was in for nearly all of them.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I honestly think it is because Olander looks the part more than Wolf does. Wolf has his sunken chest and droopy shoulders, and there are 40 something rec league guys that think they can push him around. He is your typical Euro player: a little soft on D, but quick, soft hands and nice touch, and his arms are so long it has to impact the other team.

I don't think the difference is big enough to get that worked up either way. Wolf got 19 and Olander got 17.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I honestly think it is because Olander looks the part more than Wolf does. Wolf has his sunken chest and droopy shoulders, and there are 40 something rec league guys that think they can push him around. He is your typical Euro player: a little soft on D, but quick, soft hands and nice touch, and his arms are so long it has to impact the other team.

I don't think the difference is big enough to get that worked up either way. Wolf got 19 and Olander got 17.

I'm advocating for wolf getting 25 and Tyler getting 10.

Reaction Score
I'd like to know what their +/- rating is for the season/big east play.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Olander will be important at times and against zone teams. But I agree that Wolf needs more minutes so that he can get experience and learn how to stay in and impact the game without fouling. With more experience, Wolf can be a force next year.

JC and Ollie have varying head coaching strategies, but one point they remain the same on is always bringing an impact player off the bench to alter what the other team has gotten into a rhythm of doing. It's almost like they know that TO isn't the best post presence, so they let the other team start the game thinking they can attack inside. Once Wolf gets in there, he normally puts an end to that and contests shots and makes the other team think twice.

I'm fine with Wolf coming off the bench, but he does need more minutes.

Reaction Score
I'm advocating for wolf getting 25 and Tyler getting 10.

This is about where I'm at, the more Wolf plays, hopefully he'll learn to avoid ticky tack fouls(he did this yesterday) and also the refs will become more aware of who he is so that he'll earn more respect from them.

Reaction Score
Where do you find +/- numbers? NBA box scores list them, but I don't see them for college.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
I really think that TO is getting the start for a number of reasons, but one of the biggest is because of his work ethic during the week. TO got (I believe) every start in the NCAA tourney in 2011 for similar reasons. He'd start and then sit for most of the first half. At the beginning of last year, when the team started to stumble a little, JC was the first to say to the press that TO is the only one who wanted to play D. With that said, I'll be the first to admit that 8 times out of 10 Wolf has looked like the better player this year, but I think TO's work ethic at practice and in the gym is getting him the start.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget that Wolf did get the starting job earlier this year and did nothing to keep it. He's also the same guy who no-showed at Pitt the last time UConn took the court before yesterday. Is UConn a better team when Wolf is on the court and playing well? yes Has he played that way conistently enough for us to hand him 25-30 minutes a night and relegate TO to a Justin Brown role? Not yet

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Where do you find +/- numbers? NBA box scores list them, but I don't see them for college.

If you are directing the question at me, I was just keeping track personally during the 2nd half. We had a 7 point lead coming out of the break which they erased in the first 4 min of the half with Olander in, Wolf came in and we pushed it back up to 7. Then Enosch was called for the illegal screen and Ollie pulled him to coach him which lead to a 4 point spurt for Rutgers to cut it to 3. Olander never saw the floor again after that until maybe garbage time. I think Enosch left the game around the 1:30 mark up 13. So His two "runs" on the floor were +7 and +10. Tyler was -7 and -4.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget that Wolf did get the starting job earlier this year and did nothing to keep it. He's also the same guy who no-showed at Pitt the last time UConn took the court before yesterday. Is UConn a better team when Wolf is on the court and playing well? yes Has he played that way conistently enough for us to hand him 25-30 minutes a night and relegate TO to a Justin Brown role? Not yet

It's pretty easy for anyone to see, besides the ND game and foul trouble Wolf has gotten in early, who has been more of an impact on the court. EW needs to stay out of foul trouble (some on the refs and not him) and he'll get the majority of the time and UConn will be consistently better. I agree with you he hasn't been consistent but he's had the unfortunate ability to get some ticky tack calls from the stripes too!!

Reaction Score
This is awesome. I've kept saying to my dad basically all season, "there has to be a 30 point differential between when Wolf is in and when Olander is". Well I guess I was right!

I've just never seen anyone protect the rim worse than TO. He seems like a nice kid who works hard and really wants to make an impact. He's just sooo soft. Hopefully he puts on 20 lbs for next season. But then again we all said that last year....

Reaction Score
Wow. Stat sheet provides more stats than mere mortals may be able to process. Useful??

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2013/01/27/rutgers-54-connecticut-66

Tyler was 20 to 30, a minus 10
Wolf was 33 to 13, plus 20
One thing I can't find is season +/- for the players. It's bad to make a conclusion on one game for this stat. It also doesn't always give a good picture as it doesn't take into account who you are playing with, although, I would imagine who he typically plays with (the starters) would tend to favor Olander. The math would get a little complex, but having a +/- somehow prorated to +/- of guys you are typically on the floor with would be interesting.

Reaction Score
According to that website, Wolf is plus 24 in BE play. Olander is minus 10. Case closed. I didn't feel like counting through non-conference play.

Sent from my MAXX HD.

Reaction Score
The important thing here, is that Wolf has surprised all of us. He is no stiff. I'm sure practicing against AD and AO has paid off. He has been a much bigger factor than any of us expected for this year. I'm excited. I hope he continues to work hard and show improvement this season and beyond. You can see what JC and co. noticed when they recruited him.

Reaction Score
I have been asking forever for both Wolfe and TO to play together because I think it does several things:
1. Makes us bigger (duh?) - teams prepare to dominate us on the front court maybe this show of being big upfront could make the game a perimeter game - one we are more likely to win??
2. Takes pressure off TO to play the "5". For whatever reason i think he gets caught up in being the "big man presence" and gets out of his comfort zone. I know he inst a great 4 either but I think that "flow" and confidence is big with TO and this would allow him to be the scrappy player he was his soph year. Maybe get him in a groove.
3. Hi-low game - tyler is great when he can drift away from the basket - which as the BIG he feels like he cant do. Most teams don't have both a tall enough PF to cover TO and a center tall enough to cover wolfe - so this might create a mismatch.

Finally it comes down to style of the opponent and flow of the game. Against Pitt I would like to have seen both of them but If i see them both on the floor vs Syracuse I will flip. Also, If we want to go zone against a team for 4 minutes it would be a good time to play them together.

If Tyler can bring a smaller defender away from the basket either at the elbow or at the 45 deg. he can be a good weapon to pass, kick or shoot that 13-15 footer.

just my opinion.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I have been asking forever for both Wolfe and TO to play together

One problem with playing both at the same time is that we are WAY too thin in the frontcourt. If both guys are in at the same time and both get in foul trouble, who's left? We'd have to resort to having Nolan play center. And Nolan isn't ready to contribute just yet in my opinion.

Another issue could be a lot of what we saw last year. If we have TO and Wolf in a the same time, that could lead to a clogged lane, which wouldn't be good for our guards who love to penetrate.

In a scenario where both Wolf and Olander have a low foul count late in the game, I could see both guys being out there. And I agree that it would be an effective lineup that could rebound better. Wolf is a true center and TO would be more comfortable at the 4, as well as a match-up problem away from the hoop.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Gotta go with
blood_rawr_wolf_by_urealistisk.png

Reaction Score
Playing them together is a terrible awful no good idea. Tyler just isnt very good. He cannot hold up on defedse and has almost no offensive ability. He is not " great when he drifts to the perimeter.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc