Players Leaving Baylor | The Boneyard

Players Leaving Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Hopefully Small takes a look at RU, we were in her final 3. We could really use her.

I could also see her looking at FSU, or South Carolina(also in her final 3).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hopefully Small takes a look at RU, we were in her final 3. We could really use her.

Small was a McD AA. I would think she could help most teams.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Small was a McD AA. I would think she could help most teams.
Looks like she played 3 years of high school basketball in Miami and 1 year in Tallahassee, Fla- Home of FSU.
I don't know what scholarship situation is at either school but FSU has taken at least three transfers high caliber transfers in the last couple of years ( Richardson, Romero, & Jones). Hopefully Baylor will do the right thing and support her application to play immediately and she would not have to sit out a year. This kid has had quite the hard luck story but she can definitely play- I wish her well. Looks like South Carolina was her runner up choice.
http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-l...small-takes-care-family-choosing-college-team

Reaction Score
Adding Beatrice Mompremier as a post turned this into a game of musical chairs. Players still there and some still in high school were dismayed as the stockpile of big girls increased. Ghostenkors did this at Duke once and a few of them had to transfer. Allison Bales, once the #5 center, became a great shot blocker and got a national championship.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Adding Beatrice Mompremier as a post turned this into a game of musical chairs. Players still there and some still in high school were dismayed as the stockpile of big girls increased. Ghostenkors did this at Duke once and a few of them had to transfer. Allison Bales, once the #5 center, became a great shot blocker and got a national championship.
Curiosity question for you and ETT. Where do you think Cox stands in regards to the "musical chairs"? Is part of this suffling intended to make room for her?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Allison Bales, once the #5 center, became a great shot blocker and got a national championship.
Bales played in National Championship game against Maryland and had a great tournament run (over 30 blocks??) Duke lost on the Tolliver (Freshmen) step back jumper.

HGN

Reaction Score
Maybe this is all planned by Mulkey....To purge the roster. Discard the one's you no longer need ; And bring in the one's you now want.

Of course this strategy works..........Until you see somebody else out there you want then you start the process all over again.

Reaction Score
I thought everyone knew this was coming because Kim can't count to 15. I guess this is different than the Tennessee track story because she let them finish the year before kicking them out. Am I wrong about this? Is there a reason that this type of behavior is acceptable other than it is fairly common (especially in football)?

I have no problems with coaches trying to recruit over their current players, I do have a problem when they recruit over their scholarship allocation and need to force players out.

Reaction Score
Bales played in National Championship game against Maryland and had a great tournament run (over 30 blocks??) Duke lost on the Tolliver (Freshmen) step back jumper.

Toliver's shot sent the game into OT and Maryland won the game, but that was one of the most famous shots in NCAA tournament history and a signature moment in that game

Reaction Score
Allison Bales went to the national championship game, but unfortunately Duke Womens program has Zero national championships. At least as long as I've been watching which was around the time Bales was our starting center.

Reaction Score
I thought everyone knew this was coming because Kim can't count to 15. I guess this is different than the Tennessee track story because she let them finish the year before kicking them out. Am I wrong about this? Is there a reason that this type of behavior is acceptable other than it is fairly common (especially in football)?

I have no problems with coaches trying to recruit over their current players, I do have a problem when they recruit over their scholarship allocation and need to force players out.

As a parent and a fan of college sports, I couldn't agree with you more. This type of behavior only supports that idea that college athletics are professionals and that these student athletes are employees who should have the right to organize to protect themselves.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Say what ?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Baylor fans saw both of these coming.

Small is transferring because she can get playing time. Kim does not trust her to take care of the ball and as a guard if you turn it over you don't play for her. Small was playing behind Johnson, Wright, Prince and Wallace. She saw the writing on the wall and her departure has nothing to do with the new talent coming in.

Buckner was red-shirted last season as she was simply not ready for NCAA basketball. I presume that she also saw the writing on the wall when Mompremier and Brown signed with Baylor. Not sure if Kim nudged her or not, but she was never going to get playing time.

I don't concern myself too much with how the roster is juggled. I suspect that this is not the last we will see of players who are not going to return next season. There are players that are graduating early that may not return as scholarship players.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

A good outside shooter would be nice...

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Maybe this is all planned by Mulkey....To purge the roster. Discard the one's you no longer need ; And bring in the one's you now want.

Of course this strategy works.....Until you see somebody else out there you want then you start the process all over again.

...or until recruits get wise to it and stop committing.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Mulkey signing Buckner was a head-scratcher to most Big 12 fans. While I didn't think she'd ever contribute much, I sure didn't think Mulkey would show her the door after just one season. But, as has been noted, she had to make room for the 5 players she signed in the Fall. I'm guessing the late signing last summer of the Australian guard also caused numbers issues for 2015-16.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Mulkey signing Buckner was a head-scratcher to most Big 12 fans. While I didn't think she'd ever contribute much, I sure didn't think Mulkey would show her the door after just one season. But, as has been noted, she had to make room for the 5 players she signed in the Fall. I'm guessing the late signing last summer of the Australian guard also caused numbers issues for 2015-16.
As noted in the article, however, she transferred to a Community College. That says a lot - while it doesn't define a definitive reason, she was apparently - as you and others appear to note - not ready for the Big 12 level. Throw in whatever additional factors.

The head scratcher would be the signing, but her leaving doesn't sound like a surprise. College teams are not generally charities. To be on the team, you sort of have to contribute something - even if it is just as a practice player or intangible. Katie Adams that played for Rutgers back around the mid-oughts was a leader off the court, a student of coaching, and a help for the GPA besides. Couldn't contribute much on the court, but made up for it in other ways. If Buckner wasn't doing any of this, then I would blame the coach more for taking them than ditching them.

OTH, this is why I like schools that do guarantee 4 year scholarships.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Curiosity question for you and ETT. Where do you think Cox stands in regards to the "musical chairs"? Is part of this suffling intended to make room for her?

Baylor will have three seniors in 2015-2016 so room for Cox is not an issue. We already have a commitment from #10 ranked Landrum so we have room for Cox and one other player.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't like this happening in WCBB - I know men's teams do it, especially football, but I hold WCBB to a different standard. I believe UNC had this same issue with the DD class - two many signees for scholarship slots with subsequent transfers that while not specifically 'forced' were obviously necessary regardless of how well the players were integrated into the system (not looking at talent.)

Being recruited 'over' in terms of talent is one thing, and something that coaches can only control so much - being recruited 'out' (no scholarship room for a current team member) is a very different matter

Reaction Score
Coco - I love a good question. Following the Cox drama scene--IMHO - my gut kept saying she would end up at Baylor. Tennessee & S. Carolina did not seem like a good fit to me. And I heard about the "it's cold there" too many times for Cox to go to ND or UConn. (I know this hurts BY posters.) Texas seemed second tier and Baylor was sitting there. To be honest --don't know if the musical chairs would help or hurt. It could seem too contrived. At this point, I have no clue. Maybe that opens the door to UConn.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
As a parent and a fan of college sports, I couldn't agree with you more. This type of behavior only supports that idea that college athletics are professionals and that these student athletes are employees who should have the right to organize to protect themselves.

Both will transfer and continue to get a free education. I should have been as fortunate when I was a college student. I had to pay every dime for my education out of my pocket so it's hard for me to feel too bad for Small and Buckner. They are much more fortunate than the average college student that has to pay for the outrageously high tuitions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01