Play of the game | The Boneyard

Play of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For the people who are lucky enough to watch it in person or able to watch it on replay, what was The Play of the Game last night for you. I thought Gabby's rebound and put back right at the half was spectacular!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Gabby rebound and put back was great. How much do we take Stewie for granted? She had 5 blocks of perimeter jump shots last night.
Any one of those block could have been the play of the game or tournament.

Reaction Score
I think in the end Courtney Williams had about 3 or 4 plays of the game.
I like to think that the "play of the game" actually occurs during meaningful minutes and not when 2 walk-ons, 2 reserves, and a freshman are on the court at the end of a blowout. As Dennis Miller used to say "That is just my opinion, I could be wrong".

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I like to think that the "play of the game" actually occurs during meaningful minutes and not when 2 walk-ons, 2 reserves, and a freshman are on the court at the end of a blowout. As Dennis Miller used to say "That is just my opinion, I could be wrong".

Courtney Williams had her plays of the game when guarded by Moriah and Gabby.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Courtney Williams had her plays of the game when guarded by Moriah and Gabby.
No, I was marking her baskets and most either came after swaps, off freak bounces or after Moriah and Gabby left the game. One nice play she had was when she crashed the board.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
No, I was marking her baskets and most either came after swaps, off freak bounces or after Moriah and Gabby left the game. One nice play she had was when she crashed the board.

Swaps - switches? If so I think that helps makes a great play. She made UConn defenders switch to get the defender she wanted and then scored.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mine is much more subtle and I doubt was much noted. Kia driving the baseline from the right side pulled up for a short pop, elevated, didn't like something -hung there and put spin on the release to put it in off the glass.

Reaction Score
Adesmar123, how many points did Courtney have at the half? How many points did she score when the score meant something? That's what I thought.

Reaction Score
Mine is much more subtle and I doubt was much noted. Kia driving the baseline from the right side pulled up for a short pop, elevated, didn't like something -hung there and put spin on the release to put it in off the glass.

I think a lot of what Kia contributes gets lost in the shuffle of the offensive heroics of the other starters. She actually had excellent offensive stats for the tournament. Didn't take a lot of shots compared with others but she made the majority of them. However, I thought the play in which she retrieved the ball at the baseline to the right of the basket just before it went out of bounds, and made essentially a no-look bounce-pass at an angle to her own left as Tuck (if I recall correctly) exploded to the basket for a lay-up was sensational. Her five (in a row) points in the 3rd quarter that helped put the game out of reach were clutch, too.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
Adesmar123, how many points did Courtney have at the half? How many points did she score when the score meant something? That's what I thought.

I think that's points in the game, you can score two points in the game and still have the play of the game.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
For the people who are lucky enough to watch it in person or able to watch it on replay, what was The Play of the Game last night for you. I thought Gabby's rebound and put back right at the half was spectacular!
I just put it on a loop:

Reaction Score
I only saw bits and pieces of the game but the sequence that took the lead from 42-28 to 47-28 (3rd period) was awesome.

Went as follows: Stewie steal (6:35), pass to Jefferson, who made an absolutely gorgeous pass to Nurse for the layup (6:29). Then Stewie gets a block (6:21), Moriah picks up the loose ball and passes it to Nurse in the corner for a three (6:13). I must have said WOW out loud three or four times.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Moriah's absolutely pin-point assist to Kia on the break was amazing, I really thought there was no lane to make the pass. (and then followed by a second assist on a drive to Kia in the corner wide open for a three.)

Edit - SueBirdFan - we think alike!

Reaction Score
Moriah's absolutely pin-point assist to Kia on the break was amazing, I really thought there was no lane to make the pass. (and then followed by a second assist on a drive to Kia in the corner wide open for a three.)

Edit - SueBirdFan - we think alike!
Great minds ... :)

Reaction Score
I must have said WOW out loud three or four times.

Yup.

Last night was joyously, exclamation-filled. We got to watch very special team play on both sides of the ball. Go back and watch just the D, or just Mo on CW. Definite wow-fest.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of what Kia contributes gets lost in the shuffle of the offensive heroics of the other starters. She actually had excellent offensive stats for the tournament. .
Whether Kia deserves play of the game or not, I think we need to start a Kia appreciation thread (or website!). This kid gives a million per cent (sometimes, esp. when she's shooting a lay up, maybe a bit too much per cent!). She's all over the court, doing whatever's necessary to win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A play that might be the most meaningful down the line was Lou's rebounding. This was the first time I felt she not only picked up opportunistic rebounds but really went after them and put her body to it. One rebound, she grabbed right off the rim. Like her general defense, you can see the progressive improvement: from first doing some really dumb boxing out and letting the ball bounce in front of her (ridiculed publicly by Geno) all the way to being as physically tough last night around the rim as she's been at leading the team at taking charges.

Reaction Score
Play of the game as hundreds are made is very subjective. While I found Gabby's play to be very good, I personally have to go with all seven of Stewies blocks without drawing a single personal foul!;)

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
The game was over by the end of the 3rd qtr - UConn with an easy 19 point lead. It ballooned further in the 4th qtr. and Stewie, Mo and Morgan came out with approx. 4-5 minutes left. Jose should have called a time out and had Williams come out to the appropriate applause the crowd would have given and she deserved. I thought it strange and a bit classless he had her play the entire 40 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom