Pitino Pissed | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Pitino Pissed

Reaction Score
The definition of a great coach is one who gets lesser talent to overachieve... I guess Pitino can only exceed with great talent.....like every coach anywhere. When things go wrong it's because the kids suck, assistants are poor talent evaluators (even though as head coach he makes the call), the facilities stink etc. Real accountability, Rick.

Reaction Score
Iona spotlight not big enough for Rick. SJ team not responsive enough for Rick. Um, where can I go next year where my ego can fit.
How about Kentucky? It appears the squid is on the barbee.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yes. I thought I was seeing things. He told about 90% of the existing SJ players to just go into the portal before he even got there because they were not going to measure up to his standards!!!
Worst of all is he is critical of their ability rather than their performance. Mostly, that's on him. He picked them except for Soriano and a few others. Lack of speed? How did he tell Posh Alexander to hit the road?

Sounds as if he is having a psychotic breakdown. Is he setting the stage for quitting or is he telling everyone to leave again? Whew!

In a world of constant change it's good to know some things stay the same.

Slick Rick has not lost his ability to eject things too quickly.

Reaction Score
Pitino should’ve paid more attention when Coach K and Jay Wright retired. He’s old guard……not equipped to prosper in this new age of college athletics. Ed Cooley THINKS he’s a member of the old guard, but he’s not. He’s a pretender. These 2 hires, which were supposed to bolster the Big East will ultimately back fire.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Nah this ain’t it at all and I love some tough love. You want to bash the facilities and NIL in the press that’s fine. Say that you’re not tough enough and soft as a team that’s fine too. But to point out specific players weaknesses to the media is wild and uncalled for. It’s not motivation to say some are weak laterally because that is something they can’t just fix. Saying they can’t dribble isn’t motivation.

Also how is this motivation to say they lost with how they recruited and they didn’t use the portal properly when half the team is portal players. That’s such an insult. It’s not motivation that’s a man acting like a baby because he can’t back up all the junk he talked.
I agree with you. Even the Post wouldn’t report the names

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How did he tell Posh Alexander to hit the road?
I don't follow Posh except when he plays us. But I think the guy is a player. It made no sense to send him packing. Compare and contrast to when DH got here and many agreed that his failure to run guys off was "a sign of weakness".

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The definition of a great coach is one who gets lesser talent to overachieve... I guess Pitino can only exceed with great talent
He went to a Final Four when his best player was Billy Donovan.

Reaction Score
Lost in all of this so far (not mentioned in this thread yet) is one of our own - Taliek - is in the "we" group Rick is blaming for all their failures.

Given that we probably lose one or both of Kimani & Luke after this year, I'd be all for Slick Rick letting go of some of his "bad" assistants as fall guys...I'm sure Hurley would hire him back as an assistant here fairly quickly. I'd support that move 100%.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I mean, if I played for Pitino and he said this, I’d feel like quitting after this quote:

Too bad the NIT isn’t in The Garden this year.

Live look at Rick blaming the idiot responsible for this mess.

Blaming Spider-Man GIF

Reaction Score
Ironic that Rick is putting fuel on the dumpster fire of his own creation. Players bought what he was selling.

Reaction Score
Pitino should’ve paid more attention when Coach K and Jay Wright retired. He’s old guard……not equipped to prosper in this new age of college athletics. Ed Cooley THINKS he’s a member of the old guard, but he’s not. He’s a pretender. These 2 hires, which were supposed to bolster the Big East will ultimately back fire.
Lost in all of this so far (not mentioned in this thread yet) is one of our own - Taliek - is in the "we" group Rick is blaming for all their failures.

Given that we probably lose one or both of Kimani & Luke after this year, I'd be all for Slick Rick letting go of some of his "bad" assistants as fall guys...I'm sure Hurley would hire him back as an assistant here fairly quickly. I'd support that move 100%.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah I was confused when Pitino was letting go a lot of the roster from last year. The kids were talented it seemed. Just had bad coaching. He really has no one to blame but himself for this roster.

It’s not like he’s going to be patient enough to build through high school recruiting either. I’m not sure if the kid who went there from UNC has played for him at all this year.

Reaction Score
Kind of reminds me of Coach Prime in that he kicked all of the players from the old regime to curb and brought in his own and then when the players (ones that he hand-picked) weren't cutting it, it's all about the players not performing as opposed to sub-par coaching.

Reaction Score
No sympathy at all. He ran his entire roster out of town and hand selected almost everybody through the portal. If they’re bad at defense, or not tough enough, or too slow, or just not good, that means that Pitino whiffed on them all during recruiting, and/or they are good players but he can’t coach them
Or respect goes both ways as Hurley has shown, and Rick is expecting kids who were barely walking at his last title to take “tough love”. It’s an ancient style now. The kids can get treated better elsewhere and still grow. Call it a soft generation or whatever, but it’s a busy now more than ever and all these athletes can find a better deal elsewhere. Pitino has gone past his exp date. Wish he didn’t for the league. His class will be really bad next year. If he’s still around.

Reaction Score
This is his way of motivating his team the rest of the season. St. John's has a puncher's chance to make the tournament: they have a weak schedule remaining.
Uh, yes I thought that might be as well.
But he’s tried it earlier this season and it didn’t work. He is just crying like baby now and likely driving recruits away.

Fact is if ever there was a coaching issue - it’s here.
There’s a lot of talent on that team seriously underperforming.

Pitino is being paid a whole lot of money this year… they deserve better than this..

Reaction Score
The article is not wrong in calling st John's a sleeping giant. One look at fan engagement in the comment section at the end of that article, so far it's a lot.

Reaction Score
I listened to it - didn't come off to me as bad as the written words did.

Reaction Score
I dont think he wants to quit, but wouldn't mind being fired....umm....I mean a "mutual parting of ways"....
He won’t quit, he’d leave too much money on the table.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom