Photo: All tournament team | The Boneyard

Photo: All tournament team

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
FIBA @FIBA · 2h
#FIBAU17 All-Tournament Team: - Debora Dubei - Katie Lou Samuelson - Angela Salvadores - Virag Kiss - Joyner Holmes pic.twitter.com/s9mULJoSoy

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Somebody needs to be recruiting those other kids.

Is Kiss a master of the bank shot? "She kisses it off the glass."

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Rebkell talked about the coaches who were there - Aston, Fernandez, Ivey and Warlick.

HGN

Reaction Score
Not sure where the UConn coaches were......Wish we had been represented for the likes of Durr, Ogunbawale, Holmes , etc....

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Note that Salvadores still can't bring herself to smile…a real warrior, that.

Reaction Score
If the US was to have only one representative on the all tournament team, my choice would have been Durr. KLS had a nice tournament offensively, but Durr had the much better all-around game. And certainly if you put the team on your back for the championship game, Cox should have garnered some consideration. While Salvadores was unquestionably the MVP of the championship game, in her prior 6 games she scored an average of 16 points and was shooting 33% from three. Do you think the other head coaches had someone guard her?

I write the following only so that I can say it before Geno does: "Lou, I read where you said that you wanted to improve your defense, but before you can improve your defense, you have to play some defense".:rolleyes:

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
If the US was to have only one representative on the all tournament team, my choice would have been Durr. KLS had a nice tournament offensively, but Durr had the much better all-around game. And certainly if you put the team on your back for the championship game, Cox should have garnered some consideration. While Salvadores was unquestionably the MVP of the championship game, in her prior 6 games she scored an average of 16 points and was shooting 33% from three. Do you think the other head coaches had someone guard her?

I write the following only so that I can say it before Geno does: "Lou, I read where you said that you wanted to improve your defense, but before you can improve your defense, you have to play some defense".:rolleyes:
I'm not concerned. She will have to go through the 4 Step Bria Hartley Learn To Play Defense program once she gets to Storrs.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm not concerned. She will have to go through the 4 Step Bria Hartley Learn To Play Defense program once she gets to Storrs.

I thought all these programs were 7-steps.
Never experienced one myself…just recalling. :)

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I thought all these programs were 7-steps.
Never experienced one myself…just recalling. :)
Not with Geno.... Four years, four steps.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Note that Salvadores still can't bring herself to smile…a real warrior, that.
She just lost the Championship game too.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
She just lost the Championship game too.

That's my point Meyers
Ever since college, I always get into trouble with my writing assuming that people can read my mind.
I remember a college English professor who gave me an F for a paper when I jumped passed what I
assumed everyone knows.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That's my point Meyers
Ever since college, I always get into trouble with my writing assuming that people can read my mind.
I remember a college English professor who gave me an F for a paper when I jumped passed what I
assumed everyone knows.
Ah, I thought you were just going with the "warrior" aspect of never smiling. i.e. always has game face on.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Agreed that the USA won the game because of Cox and Durr. I'd wonder if the all-tournament team decisions were made BEFORE the game based upon the US selections but Salvadores as MVP shows the committee actually did watch the game...bizarro when you see the tournament statistics (which make a compelling case for Durr in particular) or championship game statistics (Cox).

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Gate81 said:
Agreed that the USA won the game because of Cox and Durr. I'd wonder if the all-tournament team decisions were made BEFORE the game based upon the US selections but Salvadores as MVP shows the committee actually did watch the game...bizarro when you see the tournament statistics (which make a compelling case for Durr in particular) or championship game statistics (Cox).

Well being that its an "all tournament team" and not an "all final team" I would assume that they were looking at overall stats for the entire tournament rather than just that final game.

It's typical to make assumptions for something such as an all tournament team based on the final game as it is fresh in our minds whereas most of the games in the tournament especially the very early games are somewhat distant memories...just saying...

Reaction Score
USA team stats

Durr did have better stats: 2nd scoring by .5, 1st assists

Holmes was 4th scoring, 3rd rebounding

KLS was 1st scoring, 1st in 3s

Sidebar Boykin was 7th scoring, 2nd rebounding, 2nd assists/tie Sabrina, 4th steals, 3rd minutes played

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Not sure where the UConn coaches were.Wish we had been represented for the likes of Durr, Ogunbawale, Holmes , etc....
There was an article or two about the UConn coaches taking advantage of the change in rules relating to the contacting of prospects, giving them an earlier opportunity to review and speak with them....

I suspect that these girls are not off the radar at all. Just because the coaches weren't there doesn't mean that they have not been in touch PLUS most of the tourney was in a blackout period.

Reaction Score
Ms. Salvadores is clearly repressing a smile that would like to come out based on her brilliant personal performance, but wouldn't strike the right note after a close loss...the young lady can only be described as incredibly poised...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom