PG targets? | The Boneyard

PG targets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Any insight as to what PG targets we're looking at for 2014/2015?

Shabazz is gone and Boatright is probably gone too (despite the fact that I think a 4th year would do him a lot of good and that he won't do himself a service entering the draft next year).

I know we have T Samuel and Purvis, but I'm not sold on either of those two being our top PG for 2014. Purvis seems to be better suited as a 2g and would be learning the PG position this year... but whether or not he can make that transition remains to be seen. And I'm not sure Samuel can run the point on his own.

UConn has historically had 2 PG types in their backcourt with 3 solid ball handlers.

Who are the top PG targets for 2014 and 2015?

Even if Boat stays for 2014 (which I doubt, but hope he stays), shouldn't we get another PG?

Ollie seems to be able to form special relationships with our PGs. Who's next in line?

Reaction Score
2014:
Kaleb Joseph
Jordan McLaughlin
Josh Perkins
Keith Pinckney
Brandone Francis

2015:
Tyler Dorsey
Donovan Mitchell
Sedrick Barefield
Jalen Brunson

That's obviously going to change. I'm sure that aren't the only ones as well and more will come with time.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I really hope we get Joseph. It's awesome to see Ollie recruiting two of the most important national hotbeds (NYC and LA), but I feel like owning New England is just as important. Hopefully any other coach that heads east of I-87 will feel like they're heading into the lion's den.

Obviously, this colors how I feel about landing Chukwu, Abu and Terrell as well. I want all four of the locals.

Reaction Score
Any insight as to what PG targets we're looking at for 2014/2015?

Shabazz is gone and Boatright is probably gone too (despite the fact that I think a 4th year would do him a lot of good and that he won't do himself a service entering the draft next year).

I know we have T Samuel and Purvis, but I'm not sold on either of those two being our top PG for 2014. Purvis seems to be better suited as a 2g and would be learning the PG position this year... but whether or not he can make that transition remains to be seen. And I'm not sure Samuel can run the point on his own.

UConn has historically had 2 PG types in their backcourt with 3 solid ball handlers.

Who are the top PG targets for 2014 and 2015?

Even if Boat stays for 2014 (which I doubt, but hope he stays), shouldn't we get another PG?

Ollie seems to be able to form special relationships with our PGs. Who's next in line?

I completely agree on your PG assessment for 2014. Boat will be gone, Samuel isn't good enough to start, and Purvis is more scoring oriented (like Ben or Khalid, rather than Taliek or Ricky).

We need another lead point guard.

Reaction Score
How do you know Purvis and Samuel can't develop into great point guards. The first time I saw Purvis play I thought he would make a great point gaurd. He had a good feel for the game and he was a good leader on the floor with good passing ability. Also with Samuel every report says he is a pass first player that needs to work on his outside shot. He already has good size and a good defender. These coaches know what they are doing and know how to develop players especially point guards. I trust Ollie and Moore when it comes to evaluating a point gaurd. Saying all this I would definitely add another point gaurd because the college game is run by guards, but I have a good feeling about Purvis and Samuel.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

pj

Reaction Score
How do you know Purvis and Samuel can't develop into great point guards. The first time I saw Purvis play I thought he would make a great point gaurd. He had a good feel for the game and he was a good leader on the floor with good passing ability. Also with Samuel every report says he is a pass first player that needs to work on his outside shot. He already has good size and a good defender. These coaches know what they are doing and know how to develop players especially point guards. I trust Ollie and Moore when it comes to evaluating a point gaurd. Saying all this I would definitely add another point gaurd because the college game is run by guards, but I have a good feeling about Purvis and Samuel.

Well, if they don't recruit a PG this year, it will be clear that the coaches feel the same way you do.

But I bet they bring in a PG. Since you can play 2 on the court at once, it's OK to have 3 good ones.

Reaction Score
Getting a PG is a must. Purvis and Samuel are big enough to get minutes at the two if needed. Purvis and Samuel will be good point guards though.

Reaction Score

Hope you are right about Purvis and Samuel but it is a difficult transition from SG to PG. I'd like to see us land a true PG who can shoot otherwise teams will play off him and clog up the paint. It may be more likely that Samuel will improve his outside shot than Purvis making the transition. I really don't like combo guards at PG and no team I can think of has won a NCC with a combo guard playing the point.

Reaction Score
Teams have won national ships without a true pg. Duke in 2010 I believe had scheyer and Nolan smith in the backcourt neither a true pg.

caw

Reaction Score
2014:
Kaleb Joseph 6'2 - NH
Jordan McLaughlin 5'11 - CA
Josh Perkins 6'3 - CO
Keith Pinckney 6'1 - GA
Brandone Francis 6'5 - FL

2015:
Tyler Dorsey 6'4 - CA
Donovan Mitchell 6'3 - NY/CT
Sedrick Barefield 6'1 - CA
Jalen Brunson 6'0 - IL
Isaiah Briscoe 6'3 - NJ he claims PG is where he wants to play in college.

That's obviously going to change. I'm sure that aren't the only ones as well and more will come with time.

Seems Ollie is going after taller PGs. Also, I think only Mitchell and Pinckney are outside the top 100 for their respective classes. Lots of good options there.

Reaction Score
I think the idea of Samuel (a pass first PG with a great handle, who will undoubtedly work hard to make himself at least a respectable shooter[he's a hard worker]), paired with Purvis (an athletic, scoring combo, with a handle and a nose for the basket), will be just fine.
Combine Samuel and Purvis with Omar and Hamilton, and you still only have 4 guys for 3 spots. We will need 1 or 2 Guards/Wings anyways...so the recruitment of guards right now wont tell us anything definitive.

2014 Possible DC
1. Samuel -- Purvis
2. Purvis -- Hamilton
3. Omar -- Hamilton
4. Facey -- Tolk
5. Nolan -- Brimah

-I would say that the odds are good that Hamilton will start at the 2 or 3 during the 2014 season, so one of TS/RP/OC will either move, or go to the bench.
-If Omar can improve his handle enough to play the 2, then one of TS/RP will move to a backup role. This will tell us a lot. We need a 3rd, ball handler, maybe a 4th.
-We will need another 3, 4, and 5, along with the guards...but taking the best available (who will sign), is probably the strategy that makes most sense (this way we will avoid another daruis smith/rob garrison situation).

Reaction Score
I kind of like our 3 guard lineup. We were at our best last season when we went small with NG and DD playing the 4/5...imo.

My guess is that KO will bring in the best available players, and play the best 5 we have. Many coaches will bring in players to fit a system, and mold them to play certain roles (PP/GDL), which doesnt work as well as taking the best available, and playing them to their strengths (putting them in a position to succeed). By playing Omar at the 3 last season, and DD at the 4, KO showed us that he wont always try to fit a pre fab 1/2/3/4/5 mold (square peg - round hole). Omar was "2-size", but didnt have the handle, and (early in the season) DD was "3-size", but couldnt shoot or handle like a 3...so KO put them in spots that would hide weaknesses, and amplify strengths. That's smart coaching. Bill Belichick has been successful doing the same thing for years.

Reaction Score
We could even play
Samuel
Purvis
Omar
Hamilton
Facey
at the same time. It would be unorthodox, but it would sure be quick, and could stretch the floor.

Man....Im really excited to see some UCONN Basketball again !!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I know nothing is a given, but RP didn't transfer here to come off the bench in his 3rd year of college, he'll start somewhere in the lineup.

I think the idea of Samuel (a pass first PG with a great handle, who will undoubtedly work hard to make himself at least a respectable shooter[he's a hard worker]), paired with Purvis (an athletic, scoring combo, with a handle and a nose for the basket), will be just fine.
Combine Samuel and Purvis with Omar and Hamilton, and you still only have 4 guys for 3 spots. We will need 1 or 2 Guards/Wings anyways...so the recruitment of guards right now wont tell us anything definitive.

2014 Possible DC
1. Samuel -- Purvis
2. Purvis -- Hamilton
3. Omar -- Hamilton
4. Facey -- Tolk
5. Nolan -- Brimah

-I would say that the odds are good that Hamilton will start at the 2 or 3 during the 2014 season, so one of TS/RP/OC will either move, or go to the bench.
-If Omar can improve his handle enough to play the 2, then one of TS/RP will move to a backup role. This will tell us a lot. We need a 3rd, ball handler, maybe a 4th.
-We will need another 3, 4, and 5, along with the guards...but taking the best available (who will sign), is probably the strategy that makes most sense (this way we will avoid another daruis smith/rob garrison situation).

Reaction Score
I know nothing is a given, but RP didn't transfer here to come off the bench in his 3rd year of college, he'll start somewhere in the lineup.

Im not sure what you mean. I have him in every starting lineup i listed, usually at the 2.

Reaction Score
Im not sure what you mean. I have him in every starting lineup i listed, usually at the 2.

You posted this:

If Omar can improve his handle enough to play the 2, then one of TS/RP will move to a backup role. This will tell us a lot. We need a 3rd, ball handler, maybe a 4th.

caw

Reaction Score
Give me at least five guards every year (or four and SF like Rip/Caron/Ray).

Samuel 6'2-6'3
Purvis 6'2-6'3
Calhoun 6'5
Hamilton 6'7

Great start. Just need at least one more player that can play somewhere at the 1-3 positions. I wouldn't mind two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom