Djery Baptiste (Committed to Vanderbilt) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Djery Baptiste (Committed to Vanderbilt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kansashusky...

No big is scaring away Diamond. Clarke's strength is supposedly ball handling and passing for his position. Jones weaknesses are passing and ball handling. Your analysis is bad and you should feel bad.

That said, I prefer Jones as well but I would be happy with either.

Reaction Score
There is the Emeka comment! My rational says the majority of the time, higher ranked players that have been analyzed by people much smarter than you or I, turn out to be better prospects at the collegiate and pro level. Yes there are exceptions such as Emeka. It did take Emeka three years to get to that point. Also KO knows and believes that some players will be more beneficial, and that's why he offered players at much earlier stages and has had them on campus and performed in home visits. There is priority here. He believes Diamond Stone will be more beneficial because he has put in the time. I don't know what else there is to say. You have a terrible argument. It's idiotic.

Outside of the top 10 players in a class, I would say that within the top 100 there is almost no correlation between a players ranking and how good that player turns out to be. And when you're dealing with a top 10 player, the potential of having him for only one year decreases his value to a program when weighed against multiple years of a lower ranked player still in the top 100.

This isn't even considering a players mental ability, his ability to be a team player, get along with his teammates, stay out of trouble, take care of his academics, etc.

And it took Emeka 3 years to become a very good college player? That's the dumbest thing you've posted in this thread. Maybe you don't watch UCONN basketball.

Reaction Score
For every Emeka there are 5 transfers. Please find me one thing that says Clark can handle the ball, and if my analysis is bad why do you agree with me and would rather take Jones? You would say there is no correlation 7774, that is beyond dumb. There is a correlation, and if there is not, why do coaches rank players? It took 3 years for Emeka to get drafted am I wrong? It's scary how little you guys know about the game of basketball.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Outside of the top 10 players in a class, I would say that within the top 100 there is almost no correlation between a players ranking and how good that player turns out to be. And when you're dealing with a top 10 player, the potential of having him for only one year decreases his value to a program when weighed against multiple years of a lower ranked player still in the top 100.

Would be really interesting to see some analysis like that (pre college ranking vs actual college development). Would require someone to rank guys in their last year of college. Obviously, there'd need to be a lot of caveats and assumptions, but still would be interesting.

Reaction Score
For every Emeka there are 5 transfers. Please find me one thing that says Clark can handle the ball, and if my analysis is bad why do you agree with me and would rather take Jones? You would say there is no correlation 7774, that is beyond dumb. There is a correlation, and if there is not, why do coaches rank players? It took 3 years for Emeka to get drafted am I wrong? It's scary how little you guys know about the game of basketball.
it didn't take Emeka 3 years to get drafted, it took him 3 years to decide he wanted to go pro. Good Lord, the level of nonsense you're approaching right now is bordering on husky91 level.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

It didn't take three years for Emeka to get drafted. He just happened to stay three years before entering the draft. He'd have gone first round after two years (he was BE DPOY his sophomore year). It took him 3 years to become the number two player in the draft.

Leaving aside the fact that college coaches have nothing to do with the rankings we look at, their 'ranking' of players does not prove there is any correlation. It only proves that coaches are trying to sort the wheat from the chaffe. But for the most part, they aren't any better at prognosticating what will actually happen than recruiting 'experts'.

Reaction Score

Do a twitter search with his name, read some scouting reports, etc. and try to educate yourself.

Reaction Score
Everything I have read about Clarke states he is a high energy guy that gets most of his baskets off garbage. There is one scout report that said he had good ball handling for a wing. There are two others that say he needs to improve it. Coaches have their own rankings and KO has both jones and stone ahead the other two. I'll stick with coach.

Reaction Score
Our entire team last year was made up of downgrades. Our best player was option #5 at point guard and won two titles. Emeka, Ben, Thabeet and Kemba were fall back options to higher ranked recruits as well.

Id be thrilled with a class of Adams-Clarke-Enoch-Baptiste. Great nucleus of four top 100 guys who will likely stay a while. You can find a good scorer at the 2-3 in the next class (Battle, if we're lucky, or someone similar) to bridge the gap after Purvis and Hamilton leave. I'd also be happy with Jones. I'd be a bit worried about him being Zach Levine Part II - one pedestrian college season and going pro based on being a combine warrior - but if he sticks around 2-3 years, he could be a serious weapon. And if Stone comes for one year, you take him in a second - he could be the difference in that one season between a deep run/title and an early loss.

But I'd be thrilled with taking those other four guys and going to war with them. History has taught me that, while recruiting wars are interesting, there hasn't been a single guy we've lost in 25 years that I've ended up lamenting with the advantage of hindsight. Camby from a pure on-court perspective, but that would have been a blight on our program.

Reaction Score
For every Emeka there are 5 transfers.
I'm sure there are more than 5 transfers for every Emeka since there's only 1 Emeka and we've had more than 5 transfers. Not sure how that's relevant at all.
Please find me one thing that says Clark can handle the ball
You can actually just type his name into google and click on links to easily find this information yourself, so I'm going to pass, thanks.
You would say there is no correlation 7774, that is beyond dumb.
It's actually not dumb. You can go to the RSCI rankings for previous years and confirm for yourself that the correlation is minor outside the top 10 prospects in any given year. I know you're not a big fan of facts though, so I won't hold my breath.
There is a correlation, and if there is not, why do coaches rank players?
Do you have a link to these coaches players rankings you speak of? How do you know that KO just hadn't had a chance to see Chris Clarke in person much up until the last month, and now that he has, he regards him just as highly as Jones?
It took 3 years for Emeka to get drafted am I wrong?
Yes, it was that 3rd year that took Emeka from an unknown propect to a top 5 draft pick........................................................................................................

Reaction Score
Everything I have read about Clarke states he is a high energy guy that gets most of his baskets off garbage. There is one scout report that said he had good ball handling for a wing. There are two others that say he needs to improve it. Coaches have their own rankings and KO has both jones and stone ahead the other two. I'll stick with coach.
reading about recruits instead of watching them is certainly a different approach to evaluating them. I remember the old Scout scouting reports that talked up Dyson's shooting ability and knocked him for his ability to score/create off the bounce...I also remember Scout calling MWill a scorer who needed to work on his PG skills...these were before the days of youtube so you had to go by their words to get a read on recruits before they stepped on campus, thankfully those days are gone. there is plenty of video out there that shows Clarke's passing and ballhandling abilty, hell, in the Peach Jam semifinal I saw him making high low post entry passes to Adebayo that were better than I see from alot of experienced college PGs.

Reaction Score
I'm sure there are more than 5 transfers for every Emeka since there's only 1 Emeka and we've had more than 5 transfers. Not sure how that's relevant at all.

You can actually just type his name into google and click on links to easily find this information yourself, so I'm going to pass, thanks.

It's actually not dumb. You can go to the RSCI rankings for previous years and confirm for yourself that the correlation is minor outside the top 10 prospects in any given year. I know you're not a big fan of facts though, so I won't hold my breath.

Do you have a link to these coaches players rankings you speak of? How do you know that KO just hadn't had a chance to see Chris Clarke in person much up until the last month, and now that he has, he regards him just as highly as Jones?

Yes, it was that 3rd year that took Emeka from an unknown propect to a top 5 draft pick...................
You have yet to state any facts yet either. KO has spent more time with Stone and Jones, had them on campus, and had in homes. That tells me he regards them highly.

Reaction Score
reading about recruits instead of watching them is certainly a different approach to evaluating them. I remember the old Scout scouting reports that talked up Dyson's shooting ability and knocked him for ability to score/create off the bounce...I also remember Scout calling MWill a scorer who needed to work on his PG skills...these were before the days of youtube so you had to go by their words to get a read on recruits before they stepped on campus, thankfully those days are gone. there is plenty of video out there that shows Clarke's passing and ballhandling abilty, hell, in the Peach Jam semifinal I saw him making high low post entry passes to Adebayo that were better than I see from alot of experienced college PGs.
I guess I will just have to take you at your word. I'm done arguing. Obviously a difference of opinion. I just want an elite class. I apologize for bickering.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Please provide us with KO's player rankings. I would love to see these and it would really help us out when discussing these guys.

Reaction Score
Please provide us with KO's player rankings. I would love to see these and it would really help us out when discussing these guys.

I'm going to try this one more time.

Who has KO prioritized? Well Diamond Stone has visited UConn, Kevin Ollie has had an in home visit with him, and has seen the majority of his games over the live period. Derrick Jones has visited UConn, Kevin Ollie has seen the majority of his games, and his father was quoted that UConn was working the hardest. Both have had offers longer than Clark and Baptiste.

Neither Clarke or Baptiste have seen UConn's campus, or had an in home with Kevin Ollie. Assistants have been the ones going to their games except for Peach Jam, Kevin Ollie was there. Both recently were offered. Neither have planned visits.

Who do you think is the priority and higher rank for UConn?

Reaction Score

Who has KO prioritized? Well Diamond Stone has visited UConn, Kevin Ollie has had an in home visit with him, and has seen the majority of his games over the live period. Derrick Jones has visited UConn, Kevin Ollie has seen the majority of his games, and his father was quoted that UConn was working the hardest. Both have had offers longer than Clark and Baptiste.

Neither Clarke or Baptiste have seen UConn's campus, or had an in home with Kevin Ollie. Assistants have been the ones going to their games except for Peach Jam, Kevin Ollie was there. Both recently were offered. Neither have planned visits.

The thing is when you discount UConn's recruiting philosophy, in a way that's a direct attack on the success of the program, and UConn's been the best program in the country over the last 20 years. So clearly something is working.

Saying you want highly ranked, highly recruited guys isn't much of a statement. Yes, I'm sure that Ollie and everyone associated with the program would love to have the guys you mentioned, but a lot of times it just isn't feasible. Very rarely has UConn won these types of recruiting battles with highly ranked kids going into their senior year. For whatever reason, UConn just has trouble getting those guys, especially more than one in a class.The good thing is that the staff, whether under JC or KO, has proven to be very good at locating and developing second tier, backup plan guys.

I think what UConn has done is realized that considering where they are in the college basketball landscape, and what their recruiting limitations are, the best way for them to fill out a team is to get a very good, dynamic recruit that is likely to stay until he's a Junior, and then get a couple of other fairly highly recruited players to surround him. From there, fill out the roster with hard working guys who know their roles and can make at least somewhat of an impact, and maybe develop into being "the guy" later if they're only a freshman or sophomore. That's always been the composition of the best UConn teams. One tremendous upperclassmen player, two to three other very good collegiate players, and then a bevy of role players.

I'm sure that the staff would like to get a lot of 5 star recruits like any other school, but this other plan has worked out pretty well for them.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

You act like guys are static. There games develop over time and at different rates. Stone and Jones might have had more game longer than the other guys. Therefore, they were recruited first, therefore they visited first, and so on.

Reaction Score
jones is longer ( 6'11 wingpsan and 6'6.5) and he has clear cut elite athleticism. I wouldn't be mad either if we get clarke, a prospect who works very hard on the court. But what if KO gets Jones to up his motor? he'll be able to do a lot of things like finish at the rim etc more consistently than clarke. again, just get one of them. we need a big wing.

Clarke has a better chance to play right away due to his abilities and play for 4 years……….he's a better defender, passer and ball handler and that's a no doubter just by watching……I like Jones but elite athleticism doesn't mean anything unless you can handle it and shoot it…….he's not strong either while Clarke clearly has a ready-body. I will take either of them I just like the ready guys and the ones we know what we will get, and they work hard to improve and when they do become elite players. Funny how we say Clarke can't get to the rim like in his video's yet have we seen a video of Jones doing anything from the perimeter at all?? Hardly……..everyone has an opinion and I am fine with either of them as I say. I will smile if we get either……...

Reaction Score
If you really want to argue whether Baptiste or Clark are downgrades over Jones and Stone please take it up with every coach and scout that has seen them play.

I don't think there's any doubt they are rated higher it's obvious, but one year from Stone or 4 years from Baptiste? We don't know which is best for the program at this point now do we? No one knows but UConn prides itself on making players better so while you always would take the highest rated player it's not always the highest rated player who turns out to be the best or the best for the program!

C

Chief00

Personally, I would rather have him than Koumadje. This kid also is 6'11" and already 245 with more room to fill out. He could become and absolute beast down low.

3UConn, I agree with that assessment.

Reaction Score
Texas big men have been good to UConn.

Okafor and Thabeet to name two. This kid looks like he could be an animal. Very athletic big man. He is the kind of big man this team needs to have.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Stone, Comanche, Koumadje, Baptiste.............nice options to have. Comanche might be the best overall fit....less likely than Stone to be one-and-done, less of a project than other two. Plus, it would be very nice to get another player from CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom