Djery Baptiste (Committed to Vanderbilt) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Djery Baptiste (Committed to Vanderbilt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BTW, FWIW, for our system, this kid might be the best fit up front for us... I know we'd all love the highest level frontcourt players but with our system that's not necessarily the case.

At this point I don't really think we know what our offensive "system" is. KO coached based on the talent and pieces he already had, but I don't think its safe to assume we're always going to play like that, or that is how he wants his teams constructed. Remember even JC flipped script multiple times over the course of his career, growing up in the 90s and watching those teams I would've never envisioned the 2003-2006 teams to come years later.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Imagine this kid next to Rak Lubin. That's almost 14 feet of pure muscle. That's NBA level intimidation .
and with Purv at the 2..

Reaction Score
BTW, FWIW, for our system, this kid might be the best fit up front for us... I know we'd all love the highest level frontcourt players but with our system that's not necessarily the case.

That's exactly the rhetoric opposing coaches use now when recruiting top-flight bigs against us. For better or worse, we're developing a reputation as a program that lets guards show their abilities, but that has no use for talented bigs.

Reaction Score
I definitely see Patric Young
Do we know who else is after this guy?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sign me up. We are on a lot of guys right now. Can't wait to see the class come together.

Reaction Score
This is the big we need. Not that gangly 7-4 kid who picked up a basketball two weeks ago . At the same time I'll take any commit ,KO really coaches kids up.

Reaction Score
I think he was supposed to go to Wilbraham & Monson for a prep year before he committed to us in late August (which I remember jumping out of my friends' couch at Mansfield Apartments when I saw the ESPN bottomline)

That's what it was!

Reaction Score
Was Baptiste injured at the Peach Jam? Because Verbal Commits has had this offer listed for a few weeks and I made a point of trying to watch him. The 2/3 Titans games I watched parts of he was a complete nonfactor, I only remember seeing him on the court once. I know he's huge but does anyone know what his game is like? Just wondering why he wouldn't play in one of the biggest events of the year?

Reaction Score
Soooooooo, is this plan B if Stone goes to Wisconsin? Is he ahead of Christ Koumadje? Seems like we were after elite prospects and now we have offers out to this kid, Clark, and other options that are not very appealing.

Reaction Score
This kid as a 5 isn't a bad backup options.
The odds we get either Stone or Comanche are pretty high.
This kid certainly has an NBA body and would compliment our guard led team.
Guards win championships. We had NG at the 5 at points in our run. He played like a man possessed.
Do one year guys help or hurt chemistry?
2012 had three first round picks and at least 2 second rounders yet won nothing.
I believe teams win ,what individuals can do within the team concept usually takes more than a year to learn.

Reaction Score
Soooooooo, is this plan B if Stone goes to Wisconsin? Is he ahead of Christ Koumadje? Seems like we were after elite prospects and now we have offers out to this kid, Clark, and other options that are not very appealing.

Can Stone and Sharma BOTH go to Wisconsin?

Seems we're competing for 2 centers against Wisconsin.

Reaction Score

Based upon?

Reaction Score
True. UConn should never give an offer to a kid who isn't a 4- or 5-star again.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
My guess is we'll get either Stone, Comanche, Sharma, or Koumidje. Not 2. They might be selling Baptiste to the 4 slot playing alongside one of the one's I mentioned. (or Brimah if he stays for Junior year).

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Was Baptiste injured at the Peach Jam? Because Verbal Commits has had this offer listed for a few weeks and I made a point of trying to watch him. The 2/3 Titans games I watched parts of he was a complete nonfactor, I only remember seeing him on the court once. I know he's huge but does anyone know what his game is like? Just wondering why he wouldn't play in one of the biggest events of the year?
I was wondering the same thing. How many kids out there at the 5 have NBA ready bodies and athleticism. Look at this kids foot speed! Just for defensive purposes alone you would think this kid would be playing major minutes for any AAU team. He has to be ether injured or he's so foul prone that they cant even put him out there.

Reaction Score
This kid's videos were watched on this board over a year ago. It's not like he's coming out of left field.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That's exactly the rhetoric opposing coaches use now when recruiting top-flight bigs against us. For better or worse, we're developing a reputation as a program that lets guards show their abilities, but that has no use for talented bigs.

Give Amida a year or so and our old big man rep will be back in full affect. If we get Enoch and Stone or Baptiste or whomever. It will only get stronger.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
My guess is we'll get either Stone, Comanche, Sharma, or Koumidje. Not 2. They might be selling Baptiste to the 4 slot playing alongside one of the one's I mentioned. (or Brimah if he stays for Junior year).

From what I've read, Sharma is not an option. And Enoch is going to be locked in at the 4. I know nothing though. Just using the power of positive thinking.

Reaction Score
I think he was offered to put pressure on Enoch, but that may just be me.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Baptiste practicing against Stone for a year, possibly two, is perfect for each of them, Stone faces the size and NBA power every day while Baptiste faces the movement with size issue(s). Plus we have another guy or two that gets similar benefits. Lot of people win in this scenario, including us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom