Djery Baptiste (Committed to Vanderbilt) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Djery Baptiste (Committed to Vanderbilt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure Enoch is the UConn lock everyone here seems to think. I hope I'm wrong because he's an ideal PF for us next year, but that scholarship won't be available to him forever..

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure Enoch is the UConn lock everyone here seems to think. I hope I'm wrong because he's an ideal PF for us next year, but that scholarship won't be available to him forever..
He definitely wants to 'weigh' his options, I think KO was pushing for an immediate commit from him ( think it was n a zags article). With all the rhetoric coming from his camp , like how uconn is his dream school, how he is friends with drummond, and how he's from freakin norwalk... it would definitely be out of left field if he didn't commit IMO. As you said though KO will take anybody ten toes in, enoch doesn't have that scholly on reserve

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Also how would you feel about a class of Adams, Clark and Baptiste? Seriously, be completely honest.

There's a fourth slot in there we'd probably fill. But those are good players, especially because Amida will be here 1-2 years of their tenure.

Reaction Score
That's exactly what I said! But going from Stone and Jones, to Clark and Baptiste is quite a downgrade, never said we shouldnt over non 4 or 5 stars.

I've seen this sentiment expressed on the board since the Clarke recruitment just happened, but I don't quite get how Jones would be considered a much bigger get than Clarke. I'm not gonna pretend that I'm out on the road scouting, but Clarke was on tv last week, and there are full games of both on youtube in addition to the highlight mixes, and other than crazy dunks(Clarke isn't a slouch athletically himself), what does Jones do better? Both need to improve their jumpers, but Clarke has a better handle, is miles ahead as a passer, better defender, and is stronger with a more filled out frame. Also, the one big knock on Jones is that he can loaf and can struggle in a halfcourt game, while Clarke has a motor and will affect a game even if he can't score. Its a big "if" because it seems like when you say this about guys it usually stays that way, but if Clarke can develop a jumper over time then it will be pretty hard to find knocks on him. All the HS scouts have been raving about dude since the spring and he made the Peach Jam's first team, I wouldn't be mad at all if we landed that dude.

Reaction Score
Clark does not get to the rim like he does in those videos in a D-1 game. Creating your own shot is such a big deal at the collegiate level. Remember Stix? Struggled to create his own jump shot. Clarke is listed as a shooting guard, but he can't shoot. He is only 6-5. Jones has better size, handle, and passing ability. Jones is scoring 30 points a game, Clarke is around 13-15. There is a reason we offered Jones way before Clark, obviously KO and tons of scouts agree that Jones is ahead of Clark. KO has been working the hardest on Stone and Jones, and to not get either one would be disappointing. I'm not suggesting that Baptiste and Clarke cannot be good players, no one can predict the future, but coming off a national championship, I have high expectations. College basketball is about talent. I want the best players possible. I want to compete against KU, Duke, UK, and Florida, not Vanderbilt, Eastern Carolina, and Minnesota. I know everyone will throw out Emeka or Shabazz, and I understand lower ranked players work out, but I have seen more transfer out of our program than work.

Reaction Score
I've seen this sentiment expressed on the board since the Clarke recruitment just happened, but I don't quite get how Jones would be considered a much bigger get than Clarke. I'm not gonna pretend that I'm out on the road scouting, but Clarke was on tv last week, and there are full games of both on youtube in addition to the highlight mixes, and other than crazy dunks(Clarke isn't a slouch athletically himself), what does Jones do better? Both need to improve their jumpers, but Clarke has a better handle, is miles ahead as a passer, better defender, and is stronger with a more filled out frame. Also, the one big knock on Jones is that he can loaf and can struggle in a halfcourt game, while Clarke has a motor and will affect a game even if he can't score. Its a big "if" because it seems like when you say this about guys it usually stays that way, but if Clarke can develop a jumper over time then it will be pretty hard to find knocks on him. All the HS scouts have been raving about dude since the spring and he made the Peach Jam's first team, I wouldn't be mad at all if we landed that dude.
jones is longer ( 6'11 wingpsan and 6'6.5) and he has clear cut elite athleticism. I wouldn't be mad either if we get clarke, a prospect who works very hard on the court. But what if KO gets Jones to up his motor? he'll be able to do a lot of things like finish at the rim etc more consistently than clarke. again, just get one of them. we need a big wing.

Reaction Score
Clark does not get to the rim like he does in those videos in a D-1 game. Creating your own shot is such a big deal at the collegiate level. Remember Stix? Struggled to create his own jump shot. Clarke is listed as a shooting guard, but he can't shoot. He is only 6-5. Jones has better size, handle, and passing ability. Jones is scoring 30 points a game, Clarke is around 13-15. There is a reason we offered Jones way before Clark, obviously KO and tons of scouts agree that Jones is ahead of Clark. KO has been working the hardest on Stone and Jones, and to not get either one would be disappointing. I'm not suggesting that Baptiste and Clarke cannot be good players, no one can predict the future, but coming off a national championship, I have high expectations. College basketball is about talent. I want the best players possible. I want to compete against KU, Duke, UK, and Florida, not Vanderbilt, Eastern Carolina, and Minnesota. I know everyone will throw out Emeka or Shabazz, and I understand lower ranked players work out, but I have seen more transfer out of our program than work.

If you think Jones has a better handle and is a better passer I don't even know what to say. Who is Jones averaging 30ppg against? Do you have a link for that?

Reaction Score
If you think Jones has a better handle and a better passer I don't even know what to say. Who is Jones averaging 30ppg against? Do you have a link for that?
Reebok Breakout Camp(June 9th-11th, 2014): The best performer of the day was the 6-foot-7 wing, and it wasn't close. In his afternoon game on Thursday, he exploded for 31 points on 12-15 shooting from the field. What was most impressive was that he did it on all three levels, which combined with his otherworldly athleticism, makes him unguardable. It looks like his skills are improving by the month, and his stock is beginning to skyrocket.

Reaction Score
Reebok Breakout Camp(June 9th-11th, 2014): The best performer of the day was the 6-foot-7 wing, and it wasn't close. In his afternoon game on Thursday, he exploded for 31 points on 12-15 shooting from the field. What was most impressive was that he did it on all three levels, which combined with his otherworldly athleticism, makes him unguardable. It looks like his skills are improving by the month, and his stock is beginning to skyrocket.

Got it, getting 31pts in one game in a camp setting where no defense was played is now averaging 30ppg in a mythical league..I hope no one is taking this as me not wanting Jones, because I do and if his skill level catches up with his athleticism he is league bound, but I just don't quite understand the sentiment that if KO were to get Clarke instead this is somehow settling for crumbs. We'll agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
Jones is a better shooter and the more elite athlete. I like Clarke a lot but Jones is the better prospect.

Reaction Score
I dont care who is playing defense, 12-15 is impressive. Also,

Chris Clarke

Even though he’s comfortable on the perimeter, the biggest thing he could work on to prepare for the next level are his ball-handling skills and outside shooting.

Reaction Score
Got it, getting 31pts in one game in a camp setting where no defense was played is now averaging 30ppg in a mythical league..I hope no one is taking this as me not wanting Jones, because I do and if his skill level catches up with his athleticism he is league bound, but I just don't quite understand the sentiment that if KO were to get Clarke instead this is somehow settling for crumbs. We'll agree to disagree.
Again I never said settling for crumbs. I guess I just have high ambitions, and you are comfortable with second best.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Again I never said settling for crumbs. I guess I just have high ambitions, and you are comfortable with second best.
So you'll only accept the #1 player at their position in the country? Be prepared for lots of disappointment.

Reaction Score
So you'll only accept the #1 player at their position in the country? Be prepared for lots of disappointment.

That is a gross oversimplification. Yes I will be disappointed if we fail to land a kid that lists that UCONN is coming after him the hardest, is the most glaring need in our recruiting class, and has visited. I don't care his ranking. KO wants him the most, so I do. If we don't get Jones, ill bet KO might be disappointed as well, and thats okay. That is recruiting in nature.

Reaction Score
That's exactly what I said! But going from Stone and Jones, to Clark and Baptiste is quite a downgrade, never said we shouldnt over non 4 or 5 stars.
So going from 2 guys who have played 0 minutes of college basketball to two other guys who have played 0 minutes of college basketball is a quite a downgrade?

Reaction Score
So going from 2 guys who have played 0 minutes of college basketball to two other guys who have played 0 minutes of college basketball is a quite a downgrade?

If you really want to argue whether Baptiste or Clark are downgrades over Jones and Stone please take it up with every coach and scout that has seen them play.

Reaction Score
If you really want to argue whether Baptiste or Clark are downgrades over Jones and Stone please take it up with every coach and scout that has seen them play.
When they post one moronic statement after another on this board I will.

Reaction Score
Good luck with that.
You've still never really answered how you know which players, all of whom have never played college basketball, will be better for our program. I'm curious to know.

By your rationale every center in the top 100 Emeka's senior year of high school would have been an upgrade for us because he was the 99th ranked recruit that year. It's idiotic.

Reaction Score
You've still never really answered how you know which players, all of whom have never played college basketball, will be better for our program. I'm curious to know.

By your rationale every center in the top 100 Emeka's senior year of high school would have been an upgrade for us because he was the 99th ranked recruit that year. It's idiotic.

There is the Emeka comment! My rational says the majority of the time, higher ranked players that have been analyzed by people much smarter than you or I, turn out to be better prospects at the collegiate and pro level. Yes there are exceptions such as Emeka. It did take Emeka three years to get to that point. Also KO knows and believes that some players will be more beneficial, and that's why he offered players at much earlier stages and has had them on campus and performed in home visits. There is priority here. He believes Diamond Stone will be more beneficial because he has put in the time. I don't know what else there is to say. You have a terrible argument. It's idiotic.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There is the Emeka comment! My rational says the majority of the time, higher ranked players that have been analyzed by people much smarter than you or I, turn out to be better prospects at the collegiate and pro level. Yes there are exceptions such as Emeka. It did take Emeka three years to get to that point. Also KO knows and believes that some players will be more beneficial, and that's why he offered players at much earlier stages and has had them on campus and performed in home visits. There is priority here. He believes Diamond Stone will be more beneficial because he has put in the time. I don't know what else there is to say. You have a terrible argument. It's idiotic.

Emeka is hardly the only argument. Besides, as we have shown repeatedly, we do I our best work with those guys who stick around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom