Penny Hardaway: "We're going to win a national championship" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Penny Hardaway: "We're going to win a national championship"

Reaction Score
P5 conferences motivated to stop the $ and cheating.
Lol Penny bringing in this class (however he did it.............) and winning a NC is going to change the P5 how exactly?

Reaction Score
Lol Penny bringing in this class (however he did it...) and winning a NC is going to change the P5 how exactly?
Every small P5 school that doesn't already will realize they can also cheat and get away with it if Memphis can

Reaction Score
Every small P5 school that doesn't already will realize they can also cheat and get away with it if Memphis can
Lol yes if anything it goes in this direction

The implication that this Memphis class was put together cleanly is incredible

Reaction Score
I have no issue with Memphis and Penny. I'll root against them when I deem appropriate, like any other non-UConn program, but without the vitriol I have towards programs that have a tradition with UConn and/or where I know grads.

I think there are a number of reasons people root against Hardaway. 1) Memphis is a bad commuter school academically, so they can't be good at basketball unless they are cheating; 2) Penny has no college/pro head coach experience (and ties to AAU), so he's going to flame out like our inexperienced guy (and he must be cheating); 3) Penny is killing it at recruiting to the AAC, so he must be cheating; 4) Penny isn't coaching at UConn, so he must be cheating (and all of our coaches are saints... except KO of course). I think I got most of the reasons.
You honestly think he isn't cheating? Memphis has been cheating since the 70's. And Penny of all people is going to be different?
Memphis was cheating back when it was Memphis State and has always kept the tradition alive.

Reaction Score
You honestly think he isn't cheating? Memphis has been cheating since the 70's. And Penny of all people is going to be different?

Memphis was cheating back when it was Memphis State and has always kept the tradition alive.
Aren’t we at the point that we should assume that every successful program is cheating (or has cheated in the recent past)? Maybe Penny is just better at cheating, but why is that different than every other program? I guess we hate those other coaches here as well so we’re consistent.

C

Chief00

Fighting these guys for conference supremacy was the pretty much the only thing that was intriguing about the American. I'm not sure that Penny won't eventually flame out, much like KO but he's off to good recruiting start.
I think the difference may be Penny has a recruiting base. True, KO could have developed one, but he chose to do other things. The other contrast, my sense is Penny won’t have a mass player exodus like KO did (except to NBA), which he can use as a selling point for more top recruits.
We will see how these things play out. After year 1, I thought KO was headed in the right direction but then after year 2, he threw Calhoun overboard and things went downhill fast.

Reaction Score
It's a Gonzaga situation. Based purely on talent they may be good enough, but if you aren't tested in conference play winning 6 games in the Tournament is almost impossible. It's like being a world class golfer and playing an average course every day, and then going to Augusta the next, they aren't going to do well.

C

Chief00

It's a Gonzaga situation. Based purely on talent they may be good enough, but if you aren't tested in conference play winning 6 games in the Tournament is almost impossible. It's like being a world class golfer and playing an average course every day, and then going to Augusta the next, they aren't going to do well.
But, the AAC has some good teams, including us.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga was a lot better than Memphis will be this year. I doubt Memphis can even win the AAC.

Reaction Score
The Fab 5 came close
Uk did it with an all freshmen lineup didnt they? Anywhoo good luck to him and his team but I wont feel sorry for him when Uconn upsets them in the tournament lol!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Gonzaga was a lot better than Memphis will be this year. I doubt Memphis can even win the AAC.

It's not like there are any other good teams.

Reaction Score
It's not like there are any other good teams.
I agree the league sucks but I can see Houston, Cincy, and Wichita being right there with them for best in the league. If everything goes right possibly us too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom