Penn State filing suit against the NCAA, should they get the Death penalty | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Penn State filing suit against the NCAA, should they get the Death penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1. I thought it was fairly obvious that I was being overdramatic. Apparently, it wasn't. So I apologize to anyone wasting time thinking it was meant as a literal statement.

2. That having been said, a minority of members of a board can not speak for an institution. So they have no standing to be requesting, on behalf of PSU, for anyone to do anything. No more so than the Paterno family has. Or, in fact, an internet poster.

3. They do have standing to challenge whether the school exceeded its authority by acting without the consent of the board. The fact that they make that challenge is not evidence of anyone "not getting it" about Paterno. You can think that the deal the school cut was in the school's best interest and still be furious that a decision that you are supposed to participate in wasn't brought to you. That happens on boards.

4. The thought that if any one single person with a PSU tie "doesn't get it" it means Penn State needs a harsher punishment is beyond silly. The institution has accepted its punishment and moved on. I dare one person to argue that the NCAA should ban our hoops team from the tourney for a second year because the majority of Boneyarders believe that the punishment was unfair and "don't get it." I dare you to start that thread. Goose, gander and all.
I agree on all this, though on the 3rd point I'm not sure they have much ability to make that challenge anywhere but at the Board of Trustees meeting. I think for sure they would need to raise it there first before making the challenge anywhere else. I can't think of an instance where an individual board member successfully tried to overturn an action other than by an action of the Board. Could be some, but it is rare at least.

On the 4th point, I think the argument is more that if the University somehow decides to renege on its agreement and challenge the NCAA's authority, for example, as these 4 guys are doing independently, then it has opened itself to a stronger NCAA reaction, possibly even returning to the original 4 year ban. Say for example they could convince the entire board to vote to take up this cause, then the NCAA would be within its rights to re-open the penalty and could well implement harsher terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc
Top Bottom