Parents, Diamond, Stewie And More | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Parents, Diamond, Stewie And More

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Fair question Fairfield Fan...however, the resultant chemistry of throwing a bunch of transfer kids together...depends on the coaching staff and their ability to mold and blend them together. It also depends on the kids themselves...if they left a program for a legitimate reason and their attitude wasn't a contributing factor then there is no reason to suspect that they will cause the chemistry in the new program any problems. We must remember that it is Attitude not Aptitude that produces Altitude. It is always about attittude!!!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
With the benefit of hindsight it is easy to talk about Diamond's tweeting father/etc. issues now, and compare them to what Geno prefers in a recruit. But back then, Geno wanted Diamond on his team as badly as everybody else.

Would he have recruited her so heavily with today's hindsight? I couldn't say for sure, but my guess would be "no." The lesson: recruiting is an imprecise science, even for those with a proven track record at it.
He even passed up on Bria Holmes (local talent currently playing at West Virginia) for Diamond :rolleyes:

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Speaking of chemistry, what happens to Ohio State next year? They will have Sierra Calhoun eligible, who bailed on Duke. They will also have Stephanie Mavunga, who bailed on UNC. They already have two transfers on the roster this year: Shayla Cooper who left Georgetown (completely rational and understandable), and Kianna Holland, who also left Duke. They lose only one significant senior (Ameryst Alston), while adding three five-star (Hoopgurlz) freshmen. That sounds like a lot of talent, and a big load of high expectations for playing time, all coming together at once. And the new arrivals/eligibles will be coming to a team that already proved itself to be one of the best in the country. So does Ohio State face a chemistry problem like Tennessee did this year?
Great question FF, I'm not at all sold on Kevin McGuff as a coach, but the transfers are all there this season and practicing so I don't see it as much of an issue. Shayla Cooper's transition and incorporation was pretty seemless. The type of young women Mavunga, Calhoun, and Holland appear to be I don't see any problems with them. If Coach McGuff can get his team to commit to the defensive end of the floor I believe they may be able to make some noise. Many people in WCBB are licking their proverbial chops in anticipation of UConn having a down season, what team wouldn't after graduating 3 first-team AA's with 4 consecutive Nattys(yes I believe Morgan will leave after this season, there are only so many games left in her knees) Geno will have a surprise ready for the nation and sourpuss Kim Mulkey, who's perpetually angry at the world for some reason will be sorry she signed that two-year deal.

Reaction Score
I never believed EDD reasoning for leaving. The team was fine without her. Undefeated. It would have been unfair to all teams had she stayed.
You didn't believe that she regretted being so far away from her younger, disabled brother? I'm not challenging, and am asking respectfully: just wondering whether you have different insight here.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You didn't believe that she regretted being so far away from her younger, disabled brother? I'm not challenging, and am asking respectfully: just wondering whether you have different insight here.
Is was her sister not brother. Having watched EDD since the 7th grade the symptoms of burnout were apparent and probably peaked in her Senior year of HS. Her recruiting commitment was especially telling but very few people paid attention because every school in the running Duke, UCONN, Lady Vols was willing to wait. It was not going back and forth it was literally taking forever to make up her mind. This was a classic case of burnout IMO and being away from her sister definitely contributed.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Is was her sister not brother. Having watched EDD since the 7th grade the symptoms of burnout were apparent and probably peaked in her Senior year of HS. Her recruiting commitment was especially telling but very few people paid attention because every school in the running Duke, UCONN, Lady Vols was willing to wait. It was not going back and forth it was literally taking forever to make up her mind. This was a classic case of burnout IMO and being away from her sister definitely contributed.

She gave an interview years later in which she said she was on burn out in her junior year. meanwhile she had a professional trainer and videos of her doing training drills were a regular internet phenomenon. Her father was a presence in the recruiting process - not in a bad way - but I have always wondered if the burnout really got aired out in that household or did she just let it build, unwilling to disappoint her dad.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
The unfortunate tale of this year's Tennessee team highlights something extraordinary about UConn.

One of the most remarkable things about UConn women's basketball is how admirably healthy and mature the girls and the culture are. It appears, by all accounts, to be a happy, highly supportive and very hard working little community. I believe this is hard to build and takes a lot of time to establish. They also seem to be bright, articulate and capable students on the whole.

I think girls who have the temperament and maturity to appreciate and participate in it can pick up on it and are drawn to it. Lexi Gordon seems an example.

We are so fortunate to be able to follow this team and enjoy the beautiful basketball they produce!
EXCELLENT THANKS

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
Overbearing parents and AAU coaches are changing the game. If things aren't going their way they start shopping around for a different school. They aren't taught to work hard and compete any more.
ENTITLEMENT MENTALITY

Reaction Score
The great story from maybe 8 to 10 years ago is Kia Vaughn was down to Rutgers and UCONN and leaning toward UCONN.
The night before signing, Kia's Mom reportedly called Geno and was coming off how lucky he was that Kia was going to UCONN and he had better take care of her precious little girl, Geno said Rutgers really needs a Center and hung up the phone! Kia signed with Rutgers & Vivian the next day! ESPN said they were surprised that Geno lost out on Vaughn to Rutgers.
That's a major thing with Geno & CD if the parents are a pain the daughter is off their list!

Reaction Score
The great story from maybe 8 to 10 years ago is Kia Vaughn was down to Rutgers and UCONN and leaning toward UCONN.
The night before signing, Kia's Mom reportedly called Geno and was coming off how lucky he was that Kia was going to UCONN and he had better take care of her precious little girl, Geno said Rutgers really needs a Center and hung up the phone! Kia signed with Rutgers & Vivian the next day! ESPN said they were surprised that Geno lost out on Vaughn to Rutgers.
That's a major thing with Geno & CD if the parents are a pain the daughter is off their list!
I hadn't heard that story before. Pretty much sums it up.

Reaction Score
Speaking of chemistry, what happens to Ohio State next year? They will have Sierra Calhoun eligible, who bailed on Duke. They will also have Stephanie Mavunga, who bailed on UNC. They already have two transfers on the roster this year: Shayla Cooper who left Georgetown (completely rational and understandable), and Kianna Holland, who also left Duke. They lose only one significant senior (Ameryst Alston), while adding three five-star (Hoopgurlz) freshmen. That sounds like a lot of talent, and a big load of high expectations for playing time, all coming together at once. And the new arrivals/eligibles will be coming to a team that already proved itself to be one of the best in the country. So does Ohio State face a chemistry problem like Tennessee did this year?

Add Harper from Kentucky to the transfer train to Ohio State. I'm not sure how McGuff will keep all of the egos happy .

Reaction Score
Add Harper from Kentucky to the transfer train to Ohio State. I'm not sure how McGuff will keep all of the egos happy .

Yes, thank you. Forgot Linae Harper. Geno used to say that he intentionally didn't use all of his scholarships, because he knew he couldn't keep that many kids happy with playing time limited. I don't know how State will do it.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I hadn't heard that story before. Pretty much sums it up.
Wonder what story is true? The story in NJ (and I think made the papers) was that Geno either said something unpleasant to her mother or left an unpleasant voice mail for her.

In any case, Kia's mother was a non-event at Rutgers so far as I know. Some other mothers were, well, mothers (or grandmothers). Very disruptive. But never heard anything about Kia's mom, and we went to almost all away and absolutely all home games during her time with the team.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
And Stewie never said she wanted to win four NPOY awards, or be a four time All-American. She wanted to win four championships.

The Diamond saga is very entertaining to watch, I have to say. She was anointed as a savior at Tennessee as soon as she transferred, but I knew the moment she said she was leaving UNC that something was a bit off about the whole situation. And choosing Tennessee as her next destination was also telling. I would put money down that she leaves early to go play in Europe and then the WNBA, where she will always score a lot of points but never win a championship.

Me too. You don't have to be adorned in a cape and turban to see that. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The unfortunate tale of this year's Tennessee team highlights something extraordinary about UConn.

One of the most remarkable things about UConn women's basketball is how admirably healthy and mature the girls and the culture are. It appears, by all accounts, to be a happy, highly supportive and very hard working little community. I believe this is hard to build and takes a lot of time to establish. They also seem to be bright, articulate and capable students on the whole.

I think girls who have the temperament and maturity to appreciate and participate in it can pick up on it and are drawn to it. Lexi Gordon seems an example.

We are so fortunate to be able to follow this team and enjoy the beautiful basketball they produce!

A very astute observation Grayjay. UConn Nation could not agree with you more.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
How do you explain Cuevas?

Cuevas doesn't have a bad attitude, she just plays wreckless sometimes. Big difference. Dawn did sit her against Georgia and I thought she played better against Alabama.

Reaction Score
I never believed EDD reasoning for leaving. The team was fine without her. Undefeated. It would have been unfair to all teams had she stayed.
Yes the team was fine without EDD. What reasoning did you not believe about why she left? The one out at the time that it was primarily about her relationship with her sister? Or the one she admitted a couple of years ago that it was really all about being burned out mentally on basketball. As I listened to her my impression was that she was going to drop out/sit out a year no matter what school she had enrolled in. What would UConn have had for a record had she stayed? Interesting to speculate, best guess, may never have lost a game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Cuevas doesn't have a bad attitude, she just plays wreckless sometimes. Big difference. Dawn did sit her against Georgia and I thought she played better against Alabama.

I was a bit too cryptic. Not attitude but out of control and no improvement year over year, so Dawn's coaching does not seem to be taking. Cuevas has not made the leap.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I was a bit too cryptic. Not attitude but out of control and no improvement year over year, so Dawn's coaching does not seem to be taking. Cuevas has not made the leap.

No, she hasn't improved as many would have liked. Hopefully the light bulb will turn on in her junior year. She is beloved by our fans, however.

Reaction Score
Yes the team was fine without EDD. What reasoning did you not believe about why she left? The one out at the time that it was primarily about her relationship with her sister? Or the one she admitted a couple of years ago that it was really all about being burned out mentally on basketball. As I listened to her my impression was that she was going to drop out/sit out a year no matter what school she had enrolled in. What would UConn have had for a record had she stayed? Interesting to speculate, best guess, may never have lost a game.
I posted what I was told regarding her leaving and it was erased by the forum moderator so I will leave it at that. Sister and burnout could have been factors also. I have no way of knowing unless I was EDD,

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
She gave an interview years later in which she said she was on burn out in her junior year. meanwhile she had a professional trainer and videos of her doing training drills were a regular internet phenomenon. Her father was a presence in the recruiting process - not in a bad way - but I have always wondered if the burnout really got aired out in that household or did she just let it build, unwilling to disappoint her dad.
Are you guys still rehashing the Elena Delle Donne saga? She moved on and had a successful career and UConn never missed a beat, do her specific reasons for leaving really matter at this point, give it a rest!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Are you guys still rehashing the Elena Delle Donne saga? She moved on and had a successful career and UConn never missed a beat, do her specific reasons for leaving really matter at this point, give it a rest!!
A poster requested information about EDD that prompted the response from Rocky & me. I disagree that UCONN did not miss a beat because Maya desperately needed a side kick in her last game in a UCONN uniform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom