Pan Am USA Vs Cuba 1:30 PM Link | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Pan Am USA Vs Cuba 1:30 PM Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
This USA team is a sad bunch. Thanks for Moriah & Stewart, OR NO wins for this group VERY troubling to watch this poor effort by other USA players Harper at least did ok

Reaction Score
I don't think this was what one should call a "lucky" win. Specifically, I don't concur with those who chalk the closeness of the contest up to USA weariness. These are teenage college players going up against a much more mature (25-35 yr. olds) and much more physical team. Pulling out the win was pretty gritty, and although our two favorite players had a lot to do with it, and although it is obviously tough for some on our Board to credit their teammates from other schools, others on the team really helped, especially Harper. I'm quite impressed with Coates, who will be a handful to contend with next season. All teams are playing a grueling schedule, not just USA!

Reaction Score
Coates is player that I'm sure all UConn fans would have loved to have stone hands and all :) she has been the most consistent of the post players especially as Reimer at least till now has been disappointing.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I don't think this was what one should call a "lucky" win. Specifically, I don't concur with those who chalk the closeness of the contest up to USA weariness. These are teenage college players going up against a much more mature (25-35 yr. olds) and much more physical team. Pulling out the win was pretty gritty, and although our two favorite players had a lot to do with it, and although it is obviously tough for some on our Board to credit their teammates from other schools, others on the team really helped, especially Harper. I'm quite impressed with Coates, who will be a handful to contend with next season. All teams are playing a grueling schedule, not just USA!
I can honestly say that Coates is growing on me. I never understood the hype around her. She's shown flashes of greatness. If she could play with high intensity even when she doesn't get the ball she'd average 16+ PPG next year. She just seems to be unaware sometimes on the defensive end and gives up a bit to easy on the offensive end unless she thinks it'll result in 2 points for her.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Early in the 2nd half Cuba led by 14 points. That qualifies as a comeback in my book.
Ah I see! Didn't watch the game. I looked at the stats. I have it recoreded though. Was gonna use this thread to determine whether or not is was worth watching.

Reaction Score
I'm really disliking international play based on these games. Way too much contact, even with the guards. Lots of plays that would have been fouls in college ball. I don't really like rugby...
I think Moriah was a little frustrated trying to figure out both her team and the kind of game the refs were allowing. The overthinking led to some uncharacteristic unforced turnovers. And Breanna was just out of sync today too.

Hope they all get some rest tonight and take their Advil! BTW, anybody find a box score?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Let's get the win again tomorrow. It's hard for these college age women playing against much older and more physical players, but they showed heart.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I'm really disliking international play based on these games. Way too much contact, even with the guards. Lots of plays that would have been fouls in college ball. I don't really like rugby...
I think Moriah was a little frustrated trying to figure out both her team and the kind of game the refs were allowing. The overthinking led to some uncharacteristic unforced turnovers. And Breanna was just out of sync today too.

Hope they all get some rest tonight and take their Advil! BTW, anybody find a box score?
I agree. This type of play is screaming for a major injury to happen. Hard to watch. I was looking at the stats here: http://results.toronto2015.org/IRS/en/basketball/results-women-2-01.htm

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Pretty bad stretch there for Moriah and Stewie.

On a side note can these announcers sound any more disinterested? Weird.
I agree. Snoozefest. And nothing like having an English-as-a-Second-Language person doing the color.

Reaction Score
It was really interesting watching Team USA's reactions after the final buzzer went off. All the kids were happily smiling, hugging and celebrating. EXCEPT Moriah and Stewie- they looked only relieved and exhausted, definitely not jubilant.

They have been indoctrinated with that Geno lesson which says there is no celebration (or cutting down nets) until the Championship is won.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Tomorrow's game has got to be easier than this one was. All of our girls are tired. We'll see if they can gut it out.

Reaction Score
Tomorrow's game has got to be easier than this one was. All of our girls are tired. We'll see if they can gut it out.

Watching Canada/Brazil now. Canada over the US by double digits.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Beginning to agree. USA may have the better players, but Canada has the better team. They have been together for almost two years off an on. They also went on an six game Exhibition Tour earlier this Summer playing some of the Best European Sr Teams.

Watching Canada/Brazil now. Canada over the US by double digits.

Reaction Score
It was really interesting watching Team USA's reactions after the final buzzer went off. All the kids were happily smiling, hugging and celebrating. EXCEPT Moriah and Stewie- they looked only relieved and exhausted, definitely not jubilant.

They have been indoctrinated with that Geno lesson which says there is no celebration (or cutting down nets) until the Championship is won.
The only ones really celebrating hard were the ones that weren't exhausted. Also, Geno was in the house and they didn't have their best game. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Beginning to agree. USA may have the better players, but Canada has the better team. They have been together for almost two years off an on. They also went on an six game Exhibition Tour earlier this Summer playing some of the Best European Sr Teams.
Yeah, Canada is dominating Brazil, shooting a whopping 38% from the field. There's fools gold in the Yukon if you ask me. Brazil is just having a bad game. Canada struggled with Cuba too and were better rested. I also think we'll make more than 1 3 pointer.

Reaction Score
YES! That was awesome. My mouth dropped when she took it in for the layup. I've never seen her drive the ball like that.

With that said, Coates had a pretty rough day and a forgettable first half. She looked flat footed and slow at times. Her body language (not just hers in reality) was telling. Thankfully she was able to turn it on for the team in 2nd half.

I understand the heavy criticism of Coates, her play the last few games have been great for this team. You want those high expectations. But if I'm being honest, it's obvious fatigue was a major factor today for everybody not named Moriah Jefferson... and even then, Jefferson and Stewart probably missed more 3's today than they've missed ALL last season for UCONN.. and there were some pretty bad turnovers by everybody as well.

Tiffany Mitchell is really missing.. This team could use another guard capable of taking over a game. But ah well, what can ya do...

Linnae Harper was HUGE in the 4th.. big steals, hustle plays and huge free throws. I love to see a player relishing in the moment. She's my player of the game.
Hats off to Coates. I suspect she grew as a player today - learned to reach down and gut it out because losing is unacceptable. USA wouldn't have won if she didn't.

Reaction Score
Pretty bad stretch there for Moriah and Stewie.

On a side note can these announcers sound any more disinterested? Weird.

The coaching staff for Team USA is also disinterested. This is International Basketball. Man to man defense against a team that is quicker than your team spells disaster. It almost was. The big girl for Cuba ate our lunch.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
BTW, there's been mention of the broadcast team sounding disinterested. The ESPN2 broadcasters (Brooke and Tiffany) are not at the arena in Toronto; they're announcing the game while watching it in espn's studios. ESPN did the same thing with the Pan Am games 4 years ago. That's why they sound disinterested.

The espn3 broadcast includes live Canadian broadcasters.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The coaching staff for Team USA is also disinterested. This is International Basketball. Man to man defense against a team that is quicker than your team spells disaster. It almost was. The big girl for Cuba ate our lunch.

There is a joke in there.... but in the interest of political correctness... I'll leave it alone :cool:

Reaction Score
This USA team is a sad bunch. Thanks for Moriah & Stewart, OR NO wins for this group VERY troubling to watch This POOR EFFORT by other USA players Harper at least did ok

That is so very wrong. Unfair and completely wrong. Every kid out there gave her all, exhausted from 4 games in 4 days and beaten up physically by much older, stronger women who could not match Team USA's skill level so they resort to other tactics, and refs and international rules that allow that kind of play.

- All things considered, this was not a poor effort, it was a great effort. Effort = the hard work and exertion to achieve a particular goal. Individual stats weren't good, but the effort of every kid cannot be questioned.
- It definitely wasn't pretty, but the goal, WINNING, was accomplished. Their efforts culminated in a victory, and that is what matters.

Reaction Score
Kia is better then any USA guard not named Moriah, the USA guards haven't heard of working the ball for a good shot. To much one on one, get the ball and drive, throw up an off balance shot, with no-one to rebound. Harper made that 3, and then with the USA up 3, she throws up another line drive miss, early in the shot clock, which leads to a fast break at the other end. A little patience, working for a good shot USA could have gone up 5, instead the lead was cut to 1, and the steal from Moriah, gave Cuba the lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom