Pan Am Title Game | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Pan Am Title Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Bottom line: A lot of the US's inability to run their offense had to do with the great defense played by Canada. Kudos to them.

Well I think a lot of that had to do with the limited offense the USA had. They only had a couple of weeks to put in an offense. So they really didn't have very many sets. As soon as Canada had a couple looks at them, they knew how to guard them. Then, as we saw, it was really just a matter of USA going 1v1. Stewart and Jefferson (and Reimer for that matter) are not used to a offense where they have to go 1v1 a lot. Not really their forte. They all are used to an offense with a lot of motion that gets players open shots. They did not have that in this tournament.

Reaction Score
They got 5th in the World Championships last year. They are the 5th best team in the world. That's pretty good.

They are ranked 1oth, right behind Belarus, and this includes their 5th place finish in the Worlds, . They were just given a good game at home by a group of college players who had a couple weeks to practice. Not my definition of a very good senior national team.

By this reasoning Zack Johnson is ranked 1st in the world because he won his latest tournament.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Canada is not one of the Elite Sr Women's Teams. However they have made great strides in their overall WBB program. This team is being slowly built to be a factor in future World Championships and Olympics. Canada may never have the quality of player that USA produces, but you can bet they will play as a team and that alone will get them some wins. They won last night because they were the better team.

They are ranked 1oth, which includes their 5th place finish in the Worlds, right behind Belarus. They were just given a good game at home by a group of college players who had a couple weeks to practice. Not my definition of a very good senior national team.

By your reasoning Zack Johnson is ranked 1st in the world because he won his latest tournament.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well since everybody keep asking, here were the choices for the WUG and PanAM teams.

Jillian Alleyne (Oregon)
Ameryst Alston (Ohio St)
Lexie Brown (Maryland/Duke)
Sophie Brunner (AZ St) - Pan Am
Jordin Canada (UCLA) - WUG
Alaina Coates (S. Carolina) - Pan Am
Kahleah Copper (Rutgers)
Caroline Coyer (Villanova) - Pan Am
Kaela Davis (Georgia Tech/S. Carolina)
Nina Davis (Baylor) - WUG
Diamond DeShields (Tennessee) - WUG
Allisha Gray (UNC/S. Carolina)
Rebecca Greenwell (Duke) - WUG
Aliyyah Handford (St. John's)
Linnae Harper (Kentucky) - Pan Am
Alexa Hart (Ohio St.)
Katie Hempen (AZ St.)
Myisha Hines-Allen (Louisville)
Bria Holmes (W. Virginia)
Jessica Jackson (Arkansas)
Tori Jankoska (Michigan St)
Moriah Jefferson (UCONN) - Pan Am
Mercedes Jefflo (California)
Alisia Jenkins (S. Florida)
Chanise Jenkins (DePaul) - WUG
Kaylee Johnson (Stanford)
Alexis Jones (Baylor)
Brionna Jones (Maryland) - WUG
Jasmine Joyner (Chattanooga)
Whitney Knight (FGCU)
Kelsey Lang (Texas)
Stephanie Mavunga (UNC/?) - Pan Am
Erica McCall (Stanford) - WUG
Imani McGee-Stafford (Texas)
Kelsey Mitchell (Ohio St)
Tiffany Mitchell (S. Carolina) - Pan Am
Adrenne Motley (Miami)
Kelsey Plum (Washington) - Pan Am
Aerial Powers (Michigan St.) - WUG
Courtney Range (California) - WUG
Taya Reimer (Notre Dame) - Pan Am
Mercedes Russell (Tennessee) - WUG
Ivey Slaughter (Florida St)
Breanna Stewart (UCONN) - Pan Am
Annie Tarkchian (Princeton)
Lili Thompson (Stanford)
Victorina Vivians (Mississippi St.)
Courtney Walker (Texas A&M)
Shatori Walker-Kimbrough (Maryland) - Pan Am
Caira Washington (George Washington)
Sydney Wiese (Oregon St) - WUG
Courtney B Williams (Texas A&M) - Pan Am
Courtney M Williams (S. Florida) - WUG
Kaylon Williams (Oklahoma)

Anybody else you can think of was not at the tryouts. Either by their choice or the committee's.

Reaction Score
Canada is not one of the Elite Sr Women's Teams. However they have made great strides in their overall WBB program. This team is being slowly built to be a factor in future World Championships and Olympics. Canada may never have the quality of player that USA produces, but you can bet they will play as a team and that alone will get them some wins. They won last night because they were the better team.

Can agree with the above 100%. You'll have to excuse me. I'm an old cynic who has never gotten acclimated to today's excessive hyperbole.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
They are ranked 1oth, right behind Belarus, and this includes their 5th place finish in the Worlds, . They were just given a good game at home by a group of college players who had a couple weeks to practice. Not my definition of a very good senior national team.

By this reasoning Zack Johnson is ranked 1st in the world because he won his latest tournament.
The world rankings cover a large period of history while national teams change more quickly. Russia is currently ranked #5 but has failed to even qualify for next years Olympics - they can still claim to be the 5th best team in the World, but they might not be the fifth best team in Europe currently. Canada is clearly better now than their #10 ranking and the team has great cohesion - all the major players have been together for two years, and they are adding quality young depth in Fields and Natalie replacing less skilled older players.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well rankings don't really mean all that much. It is more what have you done for me lately. And Canada has come in 5th in the WCs (last year), where did Belarus come in? (10th?), and won Gold at the Pan Am games. That makes a pretty good team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Can agree with the above 100%. You'll have to excuse me. I'm an old cynic who has never gotten acclimated to today's excessive hyperbole.
Talk about excessive hyperbole. SMH

Reaction Score
For ha-ha's, here is the roster for the 2011 Pan Am team, which finished 7th.

Shante Evans (Hofstra)
Christine Flores (Missouri)
Tavelyn James (Eastern Michigan)
Emilie Johnson (UC Santa Barbara)
Marissa Kastanek (North Carolina State)
Kevi Luper (Oral Roberts)
Valencia McFarland (Mississippi)
Katelan Redmon (Gonzaga)
Kayla Standish (Gonzaga)
April Sykes (Rutgers)
Avery Warley (Liberty)
Breanna Stewart (Cicero-North)

Reaction Score
Well rankings don't really mean all that much. It is more what have you done for me lately. And Canada has come in 5th in the WCs (last year), where did Belarus come in? (10th?), and won Gold at the Pan Am games. That makes a pretty good team.

No, no it doesn't.

Reaction Score
The world rankings cover a large period of history while national teams change more quickly. Russia is currently ranked #5 but has failed to even qualify for next years Olympics - they can still claim to be the 5th best team in the World, but they might not be the fifth best team in Europe currently. Canada is clearly better now than their #10 ranking and the team has great cohesion - all the major players have been together for two years, and they are adding quality young depth in Fields and Natalie replacing less skilled older players.

The rankings are calculated over a rolling four year span, not my definition of a 'large period of history'. Why is Canada clearly better than their #10 ranking? They beat two teams ranked higher than them in this tournament, Brazil and the US, at home. Both these teams were missing their best players. Who was Canada missing? We'll see what Brazil team Canada faces in September.

Virtually all teams are replacing older veterans with young depth as the game grows internationally.

Hey, I hope Canada does well in the future. I'm not ready to anoint them as the second coming just yet.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ine001 obviously has his own ranking system. :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Mitchell shoud have been replaced on the team once it was determine that she would not be available for any of the games. Another good outside shooter was badly needed Greenwell would have been my choice or Gray formerly of UNC.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Mitchell shoud have been replaced on the team once it was determine that she would not be available for any of the games. Another good outside shooter was badly needed Greenwell would have been my choice or Gray formerly of UNC.
It was very short notice for a very short tournament - she was injured in the last scrimmage I think two days before the first game and it probably took at least 24 hours to determine how bad the sprain was.

Ine001 - that PanAm competition was Oct 14-30 and none of the major colleges wanted to release their players or the players themselves didn't want to leave for the competition and the pros were all overseas.

Reaction Score
I'm shocked, shocked I say. Team USA allowed A UConn non-starter, according to other threads here, to administer an ol' fashion butt whupping.

Silly sarcasm aside, I have been amazed at the lack of respect for Kia from some here. Stewie, Mo, Tuck, Nurse and a fifth. Those are your starters.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
At the World Championships in Turkey last year, Canada lost to Turkey (by 11), France (by 4) and Australia (by 11) and defeated Mozambique, Czech Republic, France and China. The 5th place finish was higher than most expected Canada to finish but they've taken that good showing and built on it. Canada's goal is to medal at the Olympics. That's ambitious, but I would not be surprised with another good showing in Rio next year. I'm impressed with how far Team Canada has come.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Comments from Lisa Bluder post game seem right on, though I'd say she had the bodies, what she needed was players. That tournament was a grind and USA Basketball needs to remember that when putting together teams. There were several players who weren't prepared for that rock fight.

They went to their zone defense, and we struggled against their zone. Their zone hurt us. But, we went through a lot of adversity with this game – injuries, foul problems. We just did not have enough bodies to compete against them.

But we had too many turnovers tonight again. I feel like if we had more bodies, I think we would have been in better shape.

Being a UConn kid and having the two UConn players on our team, Bre (Breanna Stewart) and Mo (Moriah Jefferson). I thought Kia Nurse just played really, really well tonight. Just strong, aggressive and with the depth that they have and as many players as they play, it got her a little bit more rest during the week than we were able to give our players.

Reaction Score
The Olympics will be an entirely different story for most teams. Canada was able to use their entire National Team other than the coach. That was not the case with five other quality teams. As they said at the end of the game this was not a guarantee that Canada would qualify for the Olympic finals and they will not be playing at home. They only beat P Rico by three. USA was young inexperienced and tired due to the physical play of Canada on the fifth straight day. Tina Charles in the post with Candace Parker will be a different story.

Reaction Score
call me crazy but IMO if Tuck would have been on this team (and i'm happy she took the summer off) instead of Reimer, the US would have won the game as Tuck can do a lot of the things that were missing for this team (good passing, ability to score inside and out, ability to defend in the front court, toughness) and I still don’t understand what was the thinking with having MoJeff as the only PG for this team (Plum, Coyer, Harper and Mitchel are not PG’s) for a 5 days in a row kind of tournament….

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

They put Greenwell on the WUG squad ... but she had to pull out due to illness. Perhaps she would have been healthy enough to play on this squad. In retrospect, I would have loved to see what she could do with a great PG (Jefferson) and Stewart commanding all that attention. Gray definitely could have been an asset as well.

Reaction Score
Comments from Lisa Bluder post game seem right on, though I'd say she had the bodies, what she needed was players. That tournament was a grind and USA Basketball needs to remember that when putting together teams. There were several players who weren't prepared for that rock fight.

They went to their zone defense, and we struggled against their zone. Their zone hurt us. But, we went through a lot of adversity with this game – injuries, foul problems. We just did not have enough bodies to compete against them.

But we had too many turnovers tonight again. I feel like if we had more bodies, I think we would have been in better shape.

Being a UConn kid and having the two UConn players on our team, Bre (Breanna Stewart) and Mo (Moriah Jefferson). I thought Kia Nurse just played really, really well tonight. Just strong, aggressive and with the depth that they have and as many players as they play, it got her a little bit more rest during the week than we were able to give our players.

Bluder had the bodies; she just chose not to use them. One can complain until the cows come home about the lack of a bench on this team, but it was the coach's choice to only play seven people and let the other four sit. Williams actually started the first game of this tournament, but didn't play one minute last night. The U.S. was going to be in the medal round for sure; in those first two non-competitive games, the coach needed to use all 11 players, but chose not to do that. In a tournament with five games in five days, that was a ridiculously poor decision on her part. Did she disagree with the selection committee and choose to punish the players she didn't want? Only Lisa Bluder knows, and she is unlikely to ever reveal the reasons for not utilizing her full roster.
In contrast, the Canadian coach used all 12 players almost equally, even in the tough game against the Cubans. As a result, they blew the tired Brazilian squad out of the gym and were able to rest their best players for the Gold Medal game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Bluder had the bodies; she just chose not to use them. One can complain until the cows come home about the lack of a bench on this team, but it was the coach's choice to only play seven people and let the other four sit. Williams actually started the first game of this tournament, but didn't play one minute last night. The U.S. was going to be in the medal round for sure; in those first two non-competitive games, the coach needed to use all 11 players, but chose not to do that. In a tournament with five games in five days, that was a ridiculously poor decision on her part. Did she disagree with the selection committee and choose to punish the players she didn't want? Only Lisa Bluder knows, and she is unlikely to ever reveal the reasons for not utilizing her full roster.
In contrast, the Canadian coach used all 12 players almost equally, even in the tough game against the Cubans. As a result, they blew the tired Brazilian squad out of the gym and were able to rest their best players for the Gold Medal game.

Most of USA's bench was not ready for that level of competition. It's that simple. Williams, Plum and the others were out of their depth. They played in the one blow-out game but were not ready at all for the level of play in the other games.

The entire Canadian roster had competed in tough international games against senior national teams. They were more prepared in every sense.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

I'd say she was short on both, bodies and players. As to bodies, she only had 11 and didn't use Courtney Williams (unreported injury, maybe?), so she was drawing from a pool of 10. As to players, as unimpressive as some of the USA players were (Harper, Reimer, Mavunga), I suspect they played so much because the alternatives were worse and nothing Plum, Brunner, or Coyer did disabused me of that notion.

That said, Bluder's substitution patterns, or lack thereof, were puzzling. Even if the backups are bad you have to at least try to get Jefferson and Stewart some rest. 38 minutes (for Stewart) is too much for anyone in the final of such a compressed tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom