palming... "carrying" etc. | The Boneyard

palming... "carrying" etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
saw it called yesterday... kind of surprised it hasnt been done more often!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
saw it called yesterday... kind of surprised it hasnt been done more often!
If the absolute interpretation of the rules were made it could probably be called on almost every possession. Seems today that an extreme case is all that is ever called and sometimes not even that.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It's true that carrying as I have understood the letter of the rule in the past (hand below the 'equator' of the ball) is almost never called.

I would (and have) go further and say that the "legalized" carry has done far, far more to change the men's game - particularly at the NBA level - than almost any other single factor in the game. This is because so many things follow, like a domino effect, once the carry is no longer called. Check out and old Knicks NBA championship game on ESPN Classic sometime from the early 70s, or older games from prior decades. Very little carrying. Much more reliance on ball movement and much less reliance (and ability) to simply blow a defender 1-on-1 if both are stationary to start with.

Even Michael Jordan carried the ball regularly, which was insane as his hands were almost as big as Dr. J's hands. At least most female players have the excuse of much smaller hands, even though the smaller ball helps somewhat.

Reaction Score
Don't get me started. ((By the way, if the rule was enforced, which it should be, it would only be called on almost every possession for a short period of time. The rule would soon be honored.....again, as it should be. Signed, John Thompson))

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
guess the refs arent sure if the player wanted to pass but a defender stepped into the lane... or its just a part of their "handle".

UConn, as a heavy passing team I would think it would be called more often

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It has been called twice on Uconn - once each fro MoJeff and Bria and I agree it could be called not just on every possession but on every dribble. What I find interesting is generally it is only now called in egregious circumstances where the carry is actually used to move the ball around and make a really unnatural move and yet the two Uconn calls were in unguarded relaxed dribbling in a straight line and neither seemed particularly bad.

Reaction Score
I can't understand how any ref could call it on Hartley once or twice……..either she does all the time or never!!

And she does……all the time…….but they can't start calling it all of a sudden.

Reaction Score
In the '90s, I taught my daughter how to dribble, then took her to some games and realized I should have taught her how to carry. Asked a ref about it. Shrug. Has absolutely changed the game more than anything else. Don't like it.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
In the '90s, I taught my daughter how to dribble, then took her to some games and realized I should have taught her how to carry. Asked a ref about it. Shrug. Has absolutely changed the game more than anything else. Don't like it.

Yup.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
A friend and former official who is now retired told me that how he had be trained to identify carrying the ball was if a player in the process of dribbling crossed the ball across a plane stretched 180 degrees away from the hand's contact point while dribbling the ball and to worry less about whether was above or below the mid line of the ball. The point was that if the ball was only pushed straight out from the point of contact it could only travel along that straight line but if during that contact the ball crossed that straight line it had to have been carried on the hand across that line.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The carry is also almost synonymous with another almost unenforced rule, the many extra steps while driving for a layup. About the only time it is called is when a defender makes a great play to hinder the shooter, but if the ball handler picks up the ball at the foul line and swoops in for a layup pretty much unimpeded, the walk is almost never called.

Reaction Score
Seems to me that Bria does it all the time, other players sometimes but less often than she does. And I agree -- it changes everything, and not in a positive way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom