Pac 12 as we know it: 23-24 Season Outlook | The Boneyard

Pac 12 as we know it: 23-24 Season Outlook

Reaction Score
I didn't know where to put some thoughts about the upcoming season. I know Stanford lost some key players but I still think this is a strong conference with at least 5 potential sweet 16 teams.
I really was looking for somewhere to post this Angela Dugalic clip.

It's been such a long time coming for her. She was highly touted at Oregon as a freshman but she was just a freshman and there was such a big logjam. After a bunch of injuries it seems like she's ready to be an impact player. I was wondering should UCLA just go big and start AD, Betts, Bessoir in the front court with Kiki and Osborne in the back court. They would still have their Antsey and their talented freshman Muse to come off the bench.

Overall, any predictions? Teams you are looking forward to watching? Exciting transfers?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It will be weird watching teams that may play a last rivalry game.

I guess we can still call them P-5 matchups this year, but the moniker may change to P-4 plus a couple after this.

Go Beavers. Let justice prevail. Win the last PAC-12 championship. (okay, I'll settle for WAZZU or Stanford winning? Cal? Nah)

Reaction Score
Pac 12 23-24 Standing Prediction

1) UCLA - Too talented. Easily 9 deep. I think Lauren Betts will vie for Conference Player of the Year.
2) Stanford - Cam Brink is that good. Tara is too. Despite their losses, they have enough talent to be atop the conference.
3) Utah - Probably overachieved last year, but basically return everyone. Definitely have a shot at finishing first.
4) USC - Slight surprise pick. Seem like a hungry team, that got an infusion of talent via the portal
5) Washington State - Won the Pac-12 tourney last year and return several key players. CLW being a senior already is kinda wild. This may be the year she puts it all together for a full season.
6) Arizona - This is an Adia Barnes/Breya Cunningham pick. They lost a lot this offseason, and did seem like they needed to hit reset a bit after a somewhat disappointing season. Nevertheless, they still have talent and Barnes can coach defense
7) Colorado - This is admittedly probably too low. I liked them getting Maddie Nolan and they return several starters. Could easily be top 4.
8) Oregon - Seems low, but couldn't really rank them any higher. I actually like their roster, and the Priscilla Williams pickup. But they definitely need Chance Gray to have a more efficient season, and another guard who won't mind distributing the ball.
9) Washington - They had some impressive wins last year, and are only going to improve with experience. It's just a tough conference to move up in.
10) Oregon State - One of my favorite teams. I like their talent, just not sure they know how to win.
11)California - Not much to say
12) Arizona State- ...

Reaction Score

1) UCLA - Too talented. Easily 9 deep. I think Lauren Betts will vie for Conference Player of the Year.
2) Stanford - Cam Brink is that good. Tara is too. Despite their losses, they have enough talent to be atop the conference.
3) Utah - Probably overachieved last year, but basically return everyone. Definitely have a shot at finishing first.
4) USC - Slight surprise pick. Seem like a hungry team, that got an infusion of talent via the portal
5) Washington State - Won the Pac-12 tourney last year and return several key players. CLW being a senior already is kinda wild. This may be the year she puts it all together for a full season.
6) Arizona - This is an Adia Barnes/Breya Cunningham pick. They lost a lot this offseason, and did seem like they needed to hit reset a bit after a somewhat disappointing season. Nevertheless, they still have talent and Barnes can coach defense
7) Colorado - This is admittedly probably too low. I liked them getting Maddie Nolan and they return several starters. Could easily be top 4.
8) Oregon - Seems low, but couldn't really rank them any higher. I actually like their roster, and the Priscilla Williams pickup. But they definitely need Chance Gray to have a more efficient season, and another guard who won't mind distributing the ball.
9) Washington - They had some impressive wins last year, and are only going to improve with experience. It's just a tough conference to move up in.
10) Oregon State - One of my favorite teams. I like their talent, just not sure they know how to win.
12) Arizona State- ...
My adjustments to your fine list is to move USC down, Colorado up, Oregon State up. There are a number of teams that could win the PAC-12 WBB title next season.

Reaction Score

12) Arizona State- ...
Surprised you don't have this as "Adia Barnes/Breya Cunningham/Jada Williams pick". Cunningham and Williams were really effective as a duo during their prep school days together. Also thought Williams decommitted from UCLA because of her relationship with Cunningham, but I could be mistaken.

Reaction Score
Surprised you don't have this as "Adia Barnes/Breya Cunningham/Jada Williams pick". Cunningham and Williams were really effective as a duo during their prep school days together. Also thought Williams decommitted from UCLA because of her relationship with Cunningham, but I could be mistaken.
Jada Williams and Breya Cunningham are very close, having played two seasons together at La Jolla Country Day as well as on some USAB junior national teams. That no doubt contributed to Williams’ decision to commit to Arizona once Cunningham did. Williams committed to UCLA in Mar 2021. PG Londynn Jones committed to UCLA in Apr 2021 and PG Kiki Rice committed to UCLA in Nov 2021. Not hard to imagine having two pgs one year ahead also caused Williams to reconsider.

Cunningham’s mom attended U of A and Breya has strong ties to Tucson. No surprise she chose the Wildcats. While disappointing at the time the Bruins didn’t land Cunningham it worked out better for UCLA in the end with the taller Lauryn Betts filling the need for a true center. Will watch with great interest when Arizona and UCLA play one another (twice) in conference. Williams versus Rice/Jones and Cunningham matching up against Betts.

Also of interest is how 6’4” post Amanda Muse performs this season. While she doesn’t have the size of Breya or Lauren she is quite agile and athletic. She had a better game than Cunningham, for whatever it’s worth, at the McDonalds Allstar Game.

Reaction Score
I didn't know where to put some thoughts about the upcoming season. I know Stanford lost some key players but I still think this is a strong conference with at least 5 potential sweet 16 teams.
I really was looking for somewhere to post this Angela Dugalic clip.

It's been such a long time coming for her. She was highly touted at Oregon as a freshman but she was just a freshman and there was such a big logjam. After a bunch of injuries it seems like she's ready to be an impact player. I was wondering should UCLA just go big and start AD, Betts, Bessoir in the front court with Kiki and Osborne in the back court. They would still have their Antsey and their talented freshman Muse to come off the bench.

Overall, any predictions? Teams you are looking forward to watching? Exciting transfers?

I attended the practice Tuesday where the video was shot. Impressed by both Dugalic‘s and Bessoir’s 3-point shooting. Dugalic did attempt a 3-pointer as the shot clock neared zero that missed the rim and backboard entirely. Coach Cori jokingly commented that it was a pretty poor shot.

Bessoir’s movement seemed much improved from last season when she wore a full leg brace throughout the season after tearing an ACL a year prior. Her shot release seems quicker and she appears more confident as well. Bessoir started for the German Senior Women’s National Team at the FIBA 2023 European Championship this past June. The German team earned, for the very first time, one of 16 berths into the FIBA 2024 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments next February. 12 teams will advance to the Paris Summer Games. German WBB has never appeared in the Olympics.

Bessoir’s and Dugalić’s contributions will be key to UCLA’s success. Confident Bessoir will start. Not sure whether Dugalić will start given she’s just returning from her ACL injury. I think the coaching staff will limit her minutes early and gradually increase them. Nevertheless she should get plenty of minutes by mid-season.

Reaction Score
I attended the practice Tuesday where the video was shot. Impressed by both Dugalic‘s and Bessoir’s 3-point shooting. Dugalic did attempt a 3-pointer as the shot clock neared zero that missed the rim and backboard entirely. Coach Cori jokingly commented that it was a pretty poor shot.

Bessoir’s movement seemed much improved from last season when she wore a full leg brace throughout the season after tearing an ACL a year prior. Her shot release seems quicker and she appears more confident as well. Bessoir started for the German Senior Women’s National Team at the FIBA 2023 European Championship this past June. The German team earned, for the very first time, one of 16 berths into the FIBA 2024 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments next February. 12 teams will advance to the Paris Summer Games. German WBB has never appeared in the Olympics.

Bessoir’s and Dugalić’s contributions will be key to UCLA’s success. Confident Bessoir will start. Not sure whether Dugalić will start given she’s just returning from her ACL injury. I think the coaching staff will limit her minutes early and gradually increase them. Nevertheless she should get plenty of minutes by mid-season.
Absolutely am sold on them two and Betts. Really like Jaquez as a 2/3.

My only worry is that Osborne and Jones, both r super talented, will shoot them out of a big game.

Also wanted to add thanks for the insight. Didn't realize Bessoir started for her national team. Also very cool u got to view practice.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree that UCLA is the team to beat this year Dugalic was by far my favorite player in that top rated Freshman class at Oregon. (All gone now). Betts leaving Stanford was a surprise to me. Bessoir has been their best player IMO when not injured... I like her game. Rice, Osborne, and Brown are very, very good and the bench is strong. Clearly #1 in the league.

Stanford, Utah, Arizona, USC and Colorado are all coming in with strong squads and will contend for the First Division.

With this strength at the top Oregon could be on the outside looking in but not ready to count them out as a First Division threat. Van Slooten is all-league and the athletic 6'8" Philly Kyei continues to refine her game. 6'7" Basham and 6'3"freshman Rambus add to the front line. After Chance Gray all the other G/W candidates are new comers so we'll have to see who rises to the top.
Oregon is a very young team almost entirely Frosh/Sophs (plus Junior Kyei) at its core. They could very well take their lumps in such a strong conference this season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Don't be sleeping on Lina Sontag! She can do a bit of everything, has a real anticipation for what will happen next, and has a bit of a nasty streak on the floor. Jaquez and Cam Brown also provide positional flexibility, though I would like to see Gabriela Jaquez improve her outside shot a bit.

Reaction Score
If Oregon State is still a bottom dweller of the Pac 12 next year... yikes. I'm excited to watch Beers and Gardiner next season. Oregon State will need them to be All-Pac performers to compete against all of the other front courts in the league.

Reaction Score
Obviously UCLA will be the favorites but don't sleep on Utah as well which returned their entire starting five and core which has now been playing together for a few years. Also looking at their roster it appears they worked hard to upgrade the size and physicality of the interior next to Pili with multiple transfers and incoming recruits.

Reaction Score
Don't be sleeping on Lina Sontag! She can do a bit of everything, has a real anticipation for what will happen next, and has a bit of a nasty streak on the floor. Jaquez and Cam Brown also provide positional flexibility, though I would like to see Gabriela Jaquez improve her outside shot a bit.
Lina Sontag will probably fly a bit under the radar at the season’s start given all of UCLA’s known stars. Agree she’s kind of a Swiss Army Knife - at 6’3” she’s probably the team’s most efficient defender. She was considered a guard before arriving at UCLA. She also played on the German Senior Women’s Team this summer along with Emily Bessoir. Sontag averaged 4.6 pts and 2.4 rebs in 18.0 minutes per game. Bessoir played 27.8 mpg, scoring 7.1 pts and grabbing 5.7 rebs per game.

After the FIBA 2023 Women’s European Championship ended Sontag joined the German Women’s U20 team as a starter in the FIBA U20 Euro Championship 2nd Tier Tourney. Lina injured her lower right leg in the 3rd period of Germany’s opening game. She did not appear in any subsequent games of the tournament. She’s been wearing a boot on her foot since returning to campus. The Bruin WBB team departs this weekend for trips to Senegal and then Germany. The team will play one game each in Senegal, Munich (Bessoir’s home town) and Berlin (Sontag’s home town). Don’t know if Sontag will be able to play In front of friends and family.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree that UCLA is the team to beat this year Dugalic was by far my favorite player in that top rated Freshman class at Oregon. (All gone now). Betts leaving Stanford was a surprise to me. Bessoir has been their best player IMO when not injured... I like her game. Rice, Osborne, and Brown are very, very good and the bench is strong. Clearly #1 in the league.

Stanford, Utah, Arizona, USC and Colorado are all coming in with strong squads and will contend for the First Division.

With this strength at the top Oregon could be on the outside looking in but not ready to count them out as a First Division threat. Van Slooten is all-league and the athletic 6'8" Philly Kyei continues to refine her game. 6'7" Basham and 6'3"freshman Rambus add to the front line. After Chance Gray all the other G/W candidates are new comers so we'll have to see who rises to the top.
Oregon is a very young team almost entirely Frosh/Sophs (plus Junior Kyei) at its core. They could very well take their lumps in such a strong conference this season.
She needs to step up this year. Was surprised she didn't make the senior national team for the FIBA Americas and her performance at the GloblJam event this summer left a lot to be desired.

Not sure what it was while at GloblJam. Sometimes it seemed like she was gassed, others it seemed to be attitude/frustration. Battling the likes of Olivia Cochrane is one thing, but against teams like Puerto Rico and the African squad, she didn't dominate inside like I thought she's capable of doing.

Reaction Score
Dugalic was also my fave at Oregon, and I think she showed so much potential her Frosh year. I am not overly rooting for UCLA since Betts went there (Stanford alum here and slightly butt hurt over her leaving as I thought she would have a break out year on the farm this year), but I am rooting for Dugalic to make a great comeback!

I think UCLA has great potential with a really deep line up. I've not been as impressed by Kiki as I expected though and not sure who can really facilitate their offense effectively. Their guards seem to be more geared toward isolation. (Another reason why I thought it odd Betts left ... as you can see, still not completely over it!)

Reaction Score
If Oregon State is still a bottom dweller of the Pac 12 next year... yikes. I'm excited to watch Beers and Gardiner next season. Oregon State will need them to be All-Pac performers to compete against all of the other front courts in the league.
Oregon State will not be a bottom dweller this coming season. TvO is healthy, and all 5 of their freshman from this past season will contribute bigly as sophomores. AJ Marotte is going to have a breakout season. A crippled & young OSU Team this past season were in every PAC-12 game but one last year. There are a lot of solid teams in the PAC-12 this season and no team will go undefeated.

Reaction Score
Oregon State will not be a bottom dweller this coming season. TvO is healthy, and all 5 of their freshman from this past season will contribute bigly as sophomores. AJ Marotte is going to have a breakout season. A crippled & young OSU Team this past season were in every PAC-12 game but one last year. There are a lot of solid teams in the PAC-12 this season and no team will go undefeated.
I like the optimism. Is TVO healthy? Has she been involved in summer workouts?

Reaction Score
Dugalic was also my fave at Oregon, and I think she showed so much potential her Frosh year. I am not overly rooting for UCLA since Betts went there (Stanford alum here and slightly butt hurt over her leaving as I thought she would have a break out year on the farm this year), but I am rooting for Dugalic to make a great comeback!

I think UCLA has great potential with a really deep line up. I've not been as impressed by Kiki as I expected though and not sure who can really facilitate their offense effectively. Their guards seem to be more geared toward isolation. (Another reason why I thought it odd Betts left ... as you can see, still not completely over it!)
UCLA showed signs last season of running recognizable plays on offense, but for a team that has as much inside strength as they currently do, there is a big need to improve the post entry passing. Having Betts kind of demands that she be used more effectively than just having her clean up the garbage.

Kiki didn't look entirely comfortable to me running the offense last year, but I remember Jordin Canada looking similarly uncomfortable her freshman year. And Jordin never had a traditional post to throw it to (Monique Billings was more of a slasher IMO). Having someone like Betts (and others) on the inside should be highly motivating for the guards.

Reaction Score
"Oregon - Seems low, but couldn't really rank them any higher. I actually like their roster, and the Priscilla Williams pickup."

Conference is ridiculously strong this year and finishing above .500 (in conference) will all come down to stealing road games, never an easy task out here.
Priscilla Williams could be an x-factor addition IF she is eligible after her second transfer (Syracuse-USF-Oregon). I haven't heard one way on another.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
TvO is 100% healthy. Has been in all summer workouts/practices. OSU WBB is in Italy right now, and begin a round of games later this week. All 12 OSU WBB team members are healthy.

That's a good start. Hopefully yall will beat the dog crap outta the schools that have left yall for dead... In all sports

Reaction Score
UCLA is also currently on a foreign tour. They dropped their last game in Berlin and are now 1-1.

That's not the final score but the full game is available via that link.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
UCLA is also currently on a foreign tour. They dropped their last game in Berlin and are now 1-1.

That's not the final score but the full game is available via that link.

Turns out you maybe need a good coach in addition to a boatload of touted recruits?

Reaction Score
Turns out you maybe need a good coach in addition to a boatload of touted recruits?
Lol. I should note that Kiki Rice got injured early in the game. I'm a bball junkie so I did watch yesterday. Tbh I didn't think UCLA looked bad, although they seemed to turn the ball over quite a bit. Ultimately, I thought the Berlin team was just really good. Of course it was a professional team. But admittedly when I first saw the score I was surprised too, and wasn't aware of other teams that suffered losses this summer over seas.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom