Outer Cape Recs | The Boneyard

Outer Cape Recs

Reaction Score
Just booked a few nights in Eastham to kick off my summer break.

I stayed in Dennisport two summers ago and haven't been north of Harwich since I was a kid, so I'm excited to check this area out and also visit Provincetown for a day. Any recs from Provincetown to Chatham are recommended!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Chatham is always safe…Impudent Oyster is one of our favorites. Small, crowded - reservations a must. Bookstore & Restaurant in Wellfleet is cool. Right off the beach. Mac’s Shack is good, WIcked Oyster is good…both in Wellfleet.

Aplaya Kitchen and Tiki Bar is a great place in Chatham for lunch and drinks.

Reaction Score
We spend a lot of time in Orleans and love the local brewery, Hog's Island / The Outermost Brewery. It has a second location in Wellfleet. Both are a good time. We like Orleans better, because it is our "hometown" bar.

Fishy's recommendations of Impudent Oyster in Chatham and Mac's Shack in Wellfleet are very good. Mac's Shack has probably been the most consistent best night out with a big group each summer for us over the last 10 years. A lot of that has been the luck of great weather when we go and sitting outside, but the food is very good and the outside bar is lively.

In Provincetown, The Patio has become our favorite.

On the quicker / take-out meals side, we like the Knack in Orleans. Set up like a lot of the fry shacks in the area, but the food is a little better.

Enjoy the visit.

Reaction Score
We always loved Arnold's (Eastham) or Sir Cricket's (Orleans) for fried clams and fish & chips; the Box Lunch (Wellfleet) for a great wrap sandwich to go for a day at the beach; and the Beachcomber (Wellfleet) for nighttime bar and dancing fun.

For hiking/good walks, the Audubon Sanctuary, White Cedar Swamp, the Marconi site (all in Wellfleet) and the various trails of the Cape Cod National Seashore are all great.

Edit: the Beachcomber is still closed for the season right now. Before you go anywhere, check first to make sure it's open!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just booked a few nights in Eastham to kick off my summer break.

I stayed in Dennisport two summers ago and haven't been north of Harwich since I was a kid, so I'm excited to check this area out and also visit Provincetown for a day. Any recs from Provincetown to Chatham are recommended!
Del Mar is very good. I know the owner of Impudent Oyster very well - can't go wrong! Both in Chatham where I visit a friend quite often.

Reaction Score
Beachcomber all the way….. crush as much of the raw bar as possible… seared tuna and raw osyters especially….. if you are not between 22 and 35, i’d say don’t go there on the weekends

Reaction Score
We always loved Arnold's (Eastham) or Sir Cricket's (Orleans) for fried clams and fish & chips; the Box Lunch (Wellfleet) for a great wrap sandwich to go for a day at the beach; and the Beachcomber (Wellfleet) for nighttime bar and dancing fun.

For hiking/good walks, the Audubon Sanctuary, White Cedar Swamp, the Marconi site (all in Wellfleet) and the various trails of the Cape Cod National Seashore are all great.

Edit: the Beachcomber is still closed for the season right now. Before you go anywhere, check first to make sure it's open!
Ditto on Arnold’s and Sir Cricketts. Try Fanizzi’s in Provincetown.

Reaction Score
-Drive-in movie theater in Wellfleet
-Bagelhound in Wellfleet for breakfast
-The Pearl in Wellfleet for drinks with a great view of the harbor
-Casa Del Cabo in Eastham - Good HH
-Cottage Street in Orleans for early morning pastries/baked goods
-Sundae School in Orleans for ice cream
-Orleans Firebirds game for the Cape Cod League. Season kicks off in Mid-June
-Coast Guard beach. Can park in the lot and the tram will take you over.
-Chatham Squire --> Another spot to go out besides the Beachcomber
-Blue Rock Golf Course --> Fun par 3 course in South Yarmouth

Siv

Reaction Score
Golf at Highland Links in Truro is a really fun experience.
Unique holes and great views.

Reaction Score
-Drive-in movie theater in Wellfleet
-Bagelhound in Wellfleet for breakfast
-The Pearl in Wellfleet for drinks with a great view of the harbor
-Casa Del Cabo in Eastham - Good HH
-Cottage Street in Orleans for early morning pastries/baked goods
-Sundae School in Orleans for ice cream
-Orleans Firebirds game for the Cape Cod League. Season kicks off in Mid-June
-Coast Guard beach. Can park in the lot and the tram will take you over.
-Chatham Squire --> Another spot to go out besides the Beachcomber
-Blue Rock Golf Course --> Fun par 3 course in South Yarmouth
How could I forget the drive-in theater in Wellfleet? Again, it's closed right now, but is due to open on May 17. Link: Drive-In Theatre

As a little kid in the 60's, my family had a summer camper trailer in the trailer park adjacent to the drive-in. We'd walk over for soft-serve ice cream and miniature golf -- and we'd climb the pine trees in back of the theater so we could watch the movies over the wall (yes, you could hear the movie audio). I remember seeing the original Mary Poppins so many times, I got sick of it.

FYI, the Beachcomber opens on May 23. Link: The Beachcomber Wellfleet MA – Beach Front Bar|Seafood|Cocktails

Reaction Score
Golf at Highland Links in Truro is a really fun experience.
Unique holes and great views.
Truro, and Highland Light, are gorgeous.

If you're into high-quality cooking herbs and spices, potpourri, and essential oils, Truro has the Atlantic Spice Company. Link: Gourmet spices, herbs, essential oils, potpourri, green tea - bulk and wholesale They sell in bulk, so a bag of basil, for example, would probably last a year (depending on how much you cook). They do mail-order too.

Reaction Score
How could I forget the drive-in theater in Wellfleet? Again, it's closed right now, but is due to open on May 17. Link: Drive-In Theatre

As a little kid in the 60's, my family had a summer camper trailer in the trailer park adjacent to the drive-in. We'd walk over for soft-serve ice cream and miniature golf -- and we'd climb the pine trees in back of the theater so we could watch the movies over the wall (yes, you could hear the movie audio). I remember seeing the original Mary Poppins so many times, I got sick of it.

FYI, the Beachcomber opens on May 23. Link: The Beachcomber Wellfleet MA – Beach Front Bar|Seafood|Cocktails
The drive-in hosts a flea market several times a week during the summer.

Reaction Score
Dayuum, life seems swell for you New Englanders. I’ll just hang at Wrightsville Beach and quietly kick sand on those flying UNC or Duke blue.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Everyone else is going to tell you about dining and entertainment.

I recommend driving out to the Marconi site. Off season it’s free and there are no crowds. Few minute drive off route 6. Views are fantastic there. You can see the ocean and bay from the same spot. Truro bluffs to the north, Coast Guard beach to the south.

Reaction Score
Beachcomber all the way….. crush as much of the raw bar as possible… seared tuna and raw osyters especially….. if you are not between 22 and 35, i’d say don’t go there on the weekends
I aged out on this, but always wondered about what a cool place it was. Drove by the road 100s of time in the last 40+ years, but only made it to the parking lot once.

Reaction Score
I’ll also check in for the Beachcomber. Late afternoon golden hour cocktails. Make sure you have a goombay smash.

Personally I find Arnold’s gross. It’s mass production fried seafood. A quarter into my plate and I regret it every time.

Cram as many wellfleet oysters in your face as you can. As an oyster snob they’re elite.

Download this shark tracker app. Buoys have underwater cameras and you see just which great white is in your neck of the woods.

Reaction Score
Arnold’s in Easthem
Ryder Street in Ptown
Front Street in Ptown ( closed?)
Ciro & Sals in Ptown
Land Ho in Orleans
check out all the shops and art galleries on
Commercial St in Ptown

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors