Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It seems to me that our best lineup could be

SF GIFFEY sr
PF DANIELS jr
C BRIMAH fr
SG KROMAH sr
PG NAPIER sr

This lineup has experience,size,shooting and defense. Id like to see this lineup come january as i think it could be our best lineup. With boat,nolan,omar,samuel and tyler coming off the bench until facey is read to play.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Can't argue too much. I would like to have boat instead of kromah. Kromah would be great to come in off the bench with his experience and skills. Brimah off the bench bc of his energy and game changing defensive ability and the way he runs the floor. Still start Nolan for his rebounding and size

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's going to depend on the team and match ups.

What we saw last night is a team that will have plenty of answers coming off the bench.

Something to consider. The starters have to face Samuel, Kromah, Giffey, Olander and Brimah in practice every day. It's going to make for spirited practices and good competition.

It will also make sure everyone can rest during the regular season and be fresh for the tourney.

Reaction Score
I like it but I would switch Kromah for Boatright
I agree but only because I feel Boat would not handle it well. Would like to see Kromah start. Giff definitely should start. Once Omar looks 100% I could see him start.

Reaction Score
Let's be fair to Boat now people, he's a real good player and just didn't have a great game, but he wasn't bad. He and Bazz are dangerous 1/2 punch in the backcourt so let's be happy we're lucky enough to have players who could walk in to the line up if need be........

Reaction Score
Let's be fair to Boat now people, he's a real good player and just didn't have a great game, but he wasn't bad. He and Bazz are dangerous 1/2 punch in the backcourt so let's be happy we're lucky enough to have players who could walk in to the line up if need be........

The problem is when both Boat and Bazz are in, the back court defense is questionable. As I sad, Bazz can hold his but I don't think Boat can because he is gambling all the time. Kromah or even Terrence as a starter provides a better mix.

I never doubted his offensive skills, that's why I think he would be perfect coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
I know Boatright didn't have the best game yesterday, but we're unquestionably better with him and Shabazz on the floor at the same time. It allows for two ball-handlers and play makers.

That's another reason why Samuel is huge for us. Other than Shabazz, Boat, and now Samuel, there aren't really any other ball handlers on the team capable of consistently getting into the lane and creating for others.

Reaction Score
The problem is when both Boat and Bazz are in, the back court defense is questionable. As I sad, Bazz can hold his but I don't think Boat can because he is gambling all the time. Kromah or even Terrence as a starter provides a better mix.

I never doubted his offensive skills, that's why I think he would be perfect coming off the bench.
Boat played very good defense on Maryland's last shot & Ollie trusted him to guard their best & likely option in that situation so he is capable. So potential for solid positional D when appropriate is there.

Otherwise though i generally agree that due to gambling Napier & Boat together is definitely the best spurtability team, unfortunately that can be the oppositions run as well.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I know Boatright didn't have the best game yesterday, but we're unquestionably better with him and Shabazz on the floor at the same time. It allows for two ball-handlers and play makers.

That's another reason why Samuel is huge for us. Other than Shabazz, Boat, and now Samuel, there aren't really any other ball handlers on the team capable of consistently getting into the lane and creating for others.
y
We were shown to be very vulnerable when we have to play without Bazz during key periods of the game. I would like to see KO rest Bazz and put the ball in Boat's hands more on a planned basis so he gets used to being "the guy" with the ball. As the lead was shrinking, we pretty much stopped running offense and went to one-on-one by both Boat and Bazz. This was not the heady play I hope to see as the season progresses, but it's early yet. I would rather see Bazz drop the behind the back and other unnecessary showy plays and keep his focus on being serious and solid. He is reminding me of AJ Price in the way that he will move to find the angle to make really great passes.

Reaction Score
Boat played very good defense on Maryland's last shot

I saw that. no argument there. but would you please let me know your opinion of his defense after you have watched the other 36 minutes of his playing time?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I saw that. no argument there. but would you please let me know your opinion of his defense after you have watched the other 36 minutes of his playing time?
If Brimah can limit the fouls and find his way to 25 minutes a game, the guards are going to be able to play tighter and not help so much. It's going to make everyone a better defender. Just hope we can get to that point by February.

Reaction Score
If Brimah can limit the fouls and find his way to 25 minutes a game, the guards are going to be able to play tighter and not help so much. It's going to make everyone a better defender. Just hope we can get to that point by February.

What i saw is quite the opposite. Boat let Faust drive to the rim pretty easily, Brimha and Daniels both got a foul when trying to help protect the rim.

Anyhow, I (prob. minority here) think that the team is balanced and focused if Boat comes off the bench.

Another problem exists when Boat and Bazz are both on court. Sometimes it's causing confusion. who is going to be the offense initiator? who will do the drive/dish? who will shoot the ball when the clock runs out? Too much sharing could be bad as well.

If Bazz is PG on the starting lineup and Boat is on the second team, there is no such issue.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
What i saw is quite the opposite. Boat let Faust drive to the rim pretty easily, Brimha and Daniels both got a foul when trying to help protect the rim.

Anyhow, I (prob. minority here) think that the team is balanced and focused if Boat comes off the bench.

Another problem exists when Boat and Bazz are both on court. Sometimes it's causing confusion. who is going to be the offense initiator? who will do the drive/dish? who will shoot the ball when the clock runs out? Too much sharing could be bad as well.

If Bazz is PG on the starting lineup and Boat is on the second team, there is no such issue.
Sorry - this is a little silly. Coach Ollie has their rolls very well defined and who initiates is based on called plays. If this were an issue, it wouldn't be one of having two quality guards on the floor, it would be one of coaching and I simply don't believe that it exists. This is Napier's team to run. If Boat didn't realize it, he wouldn't be on the floor.

Reaction Score
Sorry - this is a little silly. Coach Ollie has their rolls very well defined and who initiates is based on called plays. If this were an issue, it wouldn't be one of having two quality guards on the floor, it would be one of coaching and I simply don't believe that it exists. This is Napier's team to run. If Boat didn't realize it, he wouldn't be on the floor.

Maybe or maybe not.

What's the primary role(s) having Boat in the starting lineup? Do we need help in ball handling/distribution area with Bazz at helm?

For me, not having Boat at 2 is obvious. He is too undersized.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
There is no best lineup. A successful season depends on everyone wrapping their heads around that fact.
What we think matters not, but you're right that Coach Ollie will have to bake the right cake for each situation.

Reaction Score
Those looking to exile Boat from the starting lineup after one game are way off base. He played 37 minutes yesterday for a reason - the offense runs much more smoothly with him out there. Not only is he one of two players on the team comfortable in pick and roll situations (which is what the entire offense revolves around), but his presence on the floor also relieves Bazz of the enormous burden of having to initiate the offense on basically every possession. If you cut into Boat's minutes too significantly, you're inadvertently going to run Bazz into the ground by January.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Boatright really isn't as bad defensively as he's being made out to be in this thread. He's not on the same level as Napier, but he's a competent player defensively.

Reaction Score
Those looking to exile Boat from the starting lineup after one game are way off base. He played 37 minutes yesterday for a reason - the offense runs much more smoothly with him out there. Not only is he one of two players on the team comfortable in pick and roll situations (which is what the entire offense revolves around), but his presence on the floor also relieves Bazz of the enormous burden of having to initiate the offense on basically every possession. If you cut into Boat's minutes too significantly, you're inadvertently going to run Bazz into the ground by January.

I don't think anybody is trashing Boat. I think the thread is opened to explore the best line up.

Ask yourself this: would you put Boat ( 5'8'') at 2 (shooting guard)? No matter how good Boat is, defensively or offensively. It's just like giving green light to the opposing shooting guard.

Taking Boat out of starting lineup does NOT mean Bazz's minutes will extend significantly. Last time I checked Samuel Terrence had a double double 10 pts and 12 assts.

With this being said, I would not mind putting Bazz and Boat together in the same lineup for a short while, depending upon game situations.

Reaction Score
There is no best lineup. A successful season depends on everyone wrapping their heads around that fact.

Exactly Ollie said he has 10 starters. It will be situational lineups playing and what a luxury for Coach to have.

What the question really is "what's the best lineup against small, tall, speed, zone, etc..." So many variables but Ollie has the chess pieces to answer.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Chemistry is the most important and fragile thing per Mr. Napier. Many on the team can handle coming off the bench. Boat ain't one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom