OU falls to Texas 79-74

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
@ Texas.

Despite 37 points from Ellenberg.

Not entirely shocked by this as I expect Texas to only get better with time, however I was expecting OU to fight Baylor for BIG12 title.

Maybe not anymore.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Interesting. I'm going to be visiting family in the Austin area over MLK weekend and had hoped to possibly catch a game, but they are away while we will be there.

One of the things that some folks believe hurts the Big 12, the B1G, and the top end of the ACC are the fact that they generally beat up on each other. For the "Bigs", as a result, even teams with relatively gaudy and quite possibly solid OOC records don't tend to look so hot as the season goes on. And in the ACC, I think it is rare that one team sweeps the Duke/Md/UNC/now ND games, although all those teams may get through the rest of the league relatively unscathed.

I too expected Texas to improve during the season, but had certainly not "expected" this game result. I will admit I thought it was a possibility.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
What about OK....what accounts for their demise, do you think? I remember when they were really tough for us. Also why is this game not listed in ESPN? Are neither teams ranked? who woulda thunk it?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I was just checking through the Massey ratings, and before today OK was projected to go about 9-7 through their regular season prior to the conference tournament and enter it with a 19-12 record, while Texas would be 10-6 and finish at 20-10, so not exactly a surprise as it predicted a 73-67 OK loss. Iowa St. is predicted to go 26-3 and Baylor and OK St. are predicted at 24-6 and 23-6 to top the B12.

BTW: prediction is UConn 86 Temple 41 for Saturday.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I like this UT team. They have a really nice post presence and some good guards. They have some nice weapons.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting. I'm going to be visiting family in the Austin area over MLK weekend and had hoped to possibly catch a game, but they are away while we will be there.

One of the things that some folks believe hurts the Big 12, the B1G, and the top end of the ACC are the fact that they generally beat up on each other. For the "Bigs", as a result, even teams with relatively gaudy and quite possibly solid OOC records don't tend to look so hot as the season goes on. And in the ACC, I think it is rare that one team sweeps the Duke/Md/UNC/now ND games, although all those teams may get through the rest of the league relatively unscathed.

I too expected Texas to improve during the season, but had certainly not "expected" this game result. I will admit I thought it was a possibility.
I think Big12 teams have always had a reputation of not traveling well especially in conference. And for a number of the teams in the three conferences you list they have also had a tendency to put together really crap OOC schedules so the gaudy record heading into conference play has been built on the backs of the Coppin States of the WCBB universe. And many of them never leave their own building during OOC which doesn't get their team ready for the road either.

But you are right ... good conferences do tend to beat up on each other. Certainly happened with the former BE though the best teams usually do most of the beating. I also think mediocre conferences beat up on each other, and unfortunately the Big10 has been that for a number of years.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Follow up to my last post - I though I would check road games by B12 teams this year OOC Red number is ranked teams played in OOC:
Baylor: none 1 plus 1 pending.
Iowa State: 2 (Cinci, Drake)1
Kansas: 1 (Minn)2
Kansas State: 2 (UTEP, Hampton)0
Oklahoma: 3 (UCLA, Fairfield, Marist)3
Oklahoma State: none 0
TCU: 1 (SMU)1
Texas: 2 (New Mex, Tenn)3
Texas Tech: 1 (Arizona)0
West Virginia: 3 (Youngstown, Hawaii, Duquesne)0
That doesn't include in season tournaments, but that is not too impressive with half the league playing one or fewer road games in OOC. And 4 teams playing no ranked team and 2 more playing only 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom