OT: Yet another reminder that there ain't no such thing as. . . | The Boneyard

OT: Yet another reminder that there ain't no such thing as. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . a "sure thing" when placing bets.

As if Secretariat losing four races and Louisville beating Baylor were insufficient reminders (that nothing is certain), the ultimate upset occurred in Madrid.

The bulls won!:eek:

After three matadors were gored, the rest of the "fights" were cancelled.

You can only dream what a two-peso wager would have yielded.:rolleyes:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Mess with the bull and you get the horn?

I've attended a couple of dozen corridas and was fortunate that I never saw a torero injured. I did see a novillero get de-pantsed (?) by a bull that barely missed the family jewels. He got a hell of a response from the crowd as he ran for the barrier. He appeared to be as well equipped as the bull.

I also got to meet John Fulton, the American artist and I believe the only American ever confirmed as a torero
in Spain. I didn't get to see him fight but I met him at an art exhibition in Sevilla.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Absolute crap that they cancelled it because the bulls were winning. If you are going to be put in the ring to fight for your life on a regular basis, you deserve a shot at winning. Rigged contest.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall that a typical corrida consists of three toreros each "fighting" two bulls. Now if that is correct, and if the first three bulls won, that just about ends it, verdad? Toros 3, toreros nil. (I believe that the bulls get knocked in the head anyway, so it was a pyrrhic victory, but good on them anyhow and Hemingway and Conrad be damned!)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've only seen one sure bet in my life. That was the Original Dream Team to win the gold medal. The bet was $200 bet to win $1. Absolutely horrible odds and the bet had to be made before the beginning of the first game. Basically the only way you could lose is if they were disqualified.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Most Americans view a bullfight from an American perspective. A sport contested on an even playing field with rules designed for fairness. Not so. In general the bull is dead when it enters the ring. Even if it "wins" the bull is dead. In fact, the Corrida is not really a sport as much as it is an exhibition of machismo - man vs beast. Not too PC in this day and age, but you have consider the context in the time of Hemingway and Fulton. Would I go to a bullfight today - no way. But 50 years ago it was an opportunity to absorb a part of a different culture and an exciting way to spend the afternoon - not to mention the Bota bags full of cheap Spanish wine.

Copied from About Spain -

A Corrida starts with the paseillo, with everybody involved in the bullfight entering the ring and presenting himself to the public. Two Alguacilillos, on horse's back, direct themselves to the presidency and symbolically ask for the keys to the "puerta de los toriles". Behind that door there are the bulls.

With the door being opened and the first bull entering the ring the spectacle starts. It consists of three parts, called tercios, being separated by horn-signals. There are three toreros in each Corrida, by the way, and each will have to torear two bulls.

In the first tercio the bullfighter uses the capote, a quite large rag of purple and yellow color. Now enter two picadores, on horse's back and armed with a sort of lance.

The second part is la suerte de banderillas. Three banderilleros have to stick a pair of banderillas into the attacking bull's back.

In the final "suerte suprema" the bullfighter uses the muleta, a small red rag. He has to show his faena, his masterity to dominate the bull, and to establish an artistical symbiosis between man and beast. The Corrida ends with the torero killing the bull by his sword.

Reaction Score
A Corrida starts with the paseillo, with everybody involved in the bullfight entering the ring and presenting himself to the public. Two Alguacilillos, on horse's back, direct themselves to the presidency and symbolically ask for the keys to the "puerta de los toriles".

Would that be the keys to the Porta Potty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom