OT: Worst Helmets Ever | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Worst Helmets Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
College Football is about tradition and identity. Nike is about fad, shock and constant change. The two do not go together. The block C was simple, classic and classy, befitting a well respected national university. We look a second rate semi-pro football team. Sadly, we play like one too right now.

Somebody better tell Oregon. They don't seem to understand tradition and identity, unless by tradition you mean winning big. I don't like the UConn helmets either, but lets not go conservative. Basic blue helmet with white block C. Alternate white helmet with blue block C. Perhaps a black helmet, maybe even a red or a grey - but these would be used at times few and far between (with a block C or maybe the new logo on the side).

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Please. It's all about perspective. If we were 5-1 these helmets would be provocative and cutting edge. At 0-6 they're mickey mouse and minor league. If your wife got fat you'd bitch and moan about how she burns everything she cooks. If she stayed slim and s e xy you'd brag about how she's always cooking Cajun.
That's actually true. I remember when MD rolled out the new uniforms with a new HC and promptly beat Miami on national TV. Those uniforms while ugly...seemed edgy. Then when MD started to suck...the uniforms seemed sad and desperate for attention.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Please. It's all about perspective. If we were 5-1 these helmets would be provocative and cutting edge. At 0-6 they're mickey mouse and minor league. If your wife got fat you'd bitch and moan about how she burns everything she cooks. If she stayed slim and s e xy you'd brag about how she's always cooking Cajun.

Your point is well made, but your starting point is off.

Before the season started, I thought the helmets were mickey mouse and minor league. Now that we are 0-6, I think they should put the helmets into the incinerator and remove all images from Google so as to try to erase them from memory.

But it is what it is, I suppose. At least my wife can really cook... ;)

Reaction Score
You guys have to remember that the person who designed those helmets tweeted that they were altered significantly, and that he didn't like them. I think he might have had a wider swath of the Wolf's face.

Who knows, maybe they were even uglier at first?

Reaction Score
If you stop filling seats, buying beers and jerseys because of a helmet design you don't like, you are a clown. Or Freescooter.

Oregon built a program on the back of having an exciting brand of football and a wide array or uniforms.

You can disagree with the rebrand, but if that's reason enough to stop doing your job as fan, you were never a fan to begin with.
No, that is called addressing the buying market with what they want. Its business 101. Merchandizing matters for both brand awareness and revenue generation. There is a reason RL has a little Polo Horsey on its products instead of a pile of steaming . Sure, the steaming pile is edgy but it aint selling. Its the same reason you don't market stretch tube tops to senior citizen women.

Reaction Score
Somebody better tell Oregon. They don't seem to understand tradition and identity, unless by tradition you mean winning big. I don't like the UConn helmets either, but lets not go conservative. Basic blue helmet with white block C. Alternate white helmet with blue block C. Perhaps a black helmet, maybe even a red or a grey - but these would be used at times few and far between (with a block C or maybe the new logo on the side).
yeah, they looked really cool at the national championship celebration...oh wait...well the PAC 12 championship...oh wait...Oregon got a good coaching at a time when the PAC12's royalty was going through some issues,both on the field and off it, as happens from time to time. The put Paul Pasqualoni in Eugene and Chip Kelley in Storrs and I guarantee you that all the snazzy uniforms in the world won't make Oregon a national name, while you could send UConn out in generic unis from Walmart and we'd be the name brand. Coaching is what matters. Uniforms/helmets can look good or bad. Ours look like they belong on an arena league team. You want, or at least I want, our helmets to give off a feel of a first class program, associated with a first class institution not some clown college. If you win, you can get away looking like clown college, but if you don't you look like, well, a bunch of clowns. It happened to Maryland and now to us. You'll note that the Terps have mostly toned things down of late. If Oregon starts going down hill under the new head coach the snazzy uniforms will start to become a distraction. they are still winning so right now they are still kewel.

Reaction Score
If you're near a TV tonite the Arkansas State helmet looks like a HS job. Def so lame it's worse than ours.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Oregon built a program on the back of having an exciting brand of football and a wide array or uniforms.

One of the funniest things I´ve ever read on the ´Yard.

Reaction Score

One of the funniest things I´ve ever read on the ´Yard.
Do tell, aside from saying "or" instead of "of" what part of the statement do you disagree with or find such comedic value?

Reaction Score
College Football is about tradition and identity. Nike is about fad, shock and constant change. The two do not go together. The block C was simple, classic and classy, befitting a well respected national university. We look a second rate semi-pro football team. Sadly, we play like one too right now.

yeah, they looked really cool at the national championship celebration...oh wait...well the PAC 12 championship...oh wait...Oregon got a good coaching at a time when the PAC12's royalty was going through some issues,both on the field and off it, as happens from time to time. The put Paul Pasqualoni in Eugene and Chip Kelley in Storrs and I guarantee you that all the snazzy uniforms in the world won't make Oregon a national name, while you could send UConn out in generic unis from Walmart and we'd be the name brand. Coaching is what matters. Uniforms/helmets can look good or bad. Ours look like they belong on an arena league team. You want, or at least I want, our helmets to give off a feel of a first class program, associated with a first class institution not some clown college. If you win, you can get away looking like clown college, but if you don't you look like, well, a bunch of clowns. It happened to Maryland and now to us. You'll note that the Terps have mostly toned things down of late. If Oregon starts going down hill under the new head coach the snazzy uniforms will start to become a distraction. they are still winning so right now they are still kewel.

Thanks for making my point. Good players win championships, bowl games and conferences. Uniforms and helmets are merely tools to get the job done. So let's not knock Nike and Oregon or Under Armour and Maryland. Trying to be Penn State with uniforms that belong back in the 1940s is no more beneficial than the color charts worn by other schools. For the record, I did like the blue helmet with the white Block-C. I'd also wanted some variation such as a white helmet with a Blue Block-C.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Do tell, aside from saying "or" instead of "of" what part of the statement do you disagree with or find such comedic value?

Where to start- images of fahsion shows in the locker room, players browsing the racks for that tres chic (pardon my French) look while coaches look on and give fashion tips while they're "building a program" for me are comical, and the phrasing you used immediately summoned those images for me. But hey, thats just me and my imagination having some fun. I don't expect everyone will have the same comic sensibilities as I.

The two statements I highlighted being uttered in the same breath has a certain comic value (unless of course you believe it). I always thought Fresno State's unis were really cool (no accounting for taste right?). But if I was a recruit and tOSU, Texas or Florida came calling and their uniforms were burlap bags smeared with fecal matter, all other things being equal, the uniform wouldn't make one iota of difference. Even if a lesser program recruited me and I wanted to go there, Fresno's bulldog and green V would lose. I work with teenagers the same age as football recruits. Yeah, they're still teenagers, and yeah they say and do goofy things at times. But the low esteem many on this board seem to have for their ability to make thoughtful, rational decisions about their futures is just wrong and frankly tiresome. Recruits commit because of the school, quality of academics, coaches and programs. Oregon built their program with coaching, recruiting, playing great football and winning. Uniforms were just a bauble. Any notion to the contrary, for Oregon or any other school, is just wrong. So wrong its comical.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score

I would have even been OK with the new helmet design as a 2nd or 3rd alternate... I have a feeling in the coming years a RED lid will also be coming for our dogs.

Reaction Score
I would have even been OK with the new helmet design as a 2nd or 3rd alternate... I have a feeling in the coming years a RED lid will also be coming for our dogs.
Oh good grief! though I have said that too. Even worse, I expect a red shirt. Traditon be damned. We'll come out looking like this. It is a fine Uniform, just not UConn.
DenzelRedGrey.jpg

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Oh good grief! though I have said that too. Even worse, I expect a red shirt. Traditon be damned. We'll come out looking like this. It is a fine Uniform, just not UConn.
DenzelRedGrey.jpg

Agreed.

Reaction Score
DenzelRedGrey.jpg

"Just not UConn"? And just who is UConn on the landscape of big boy college football. I agree that Red should not be a predominant color or a regularly used color for the Huskies. But . . . maybe they can mix things up just a bit more.

Reaction Score
"Just not UConn"? And just who is UConn on the landscape of big boy college football. I agree that Red should not be a predominant color or a regularly used color for the Huskies. But . . . maybe they can mix things up just a bit more.
We should go with plaid. I don't think anyone has done that yet. Really loud plaid shirts and a different plaid for the pants. If your uniforms don't have any connection to the institution you represent you might as well just hand out random jerseys on game day like they did in gym class. hand out those 2 sided jerseys. Visiting team wears the white side and the Home team wears the color, whatever it might be. In basketball the home team can be shirts and the visitors can be skins. It has nothing to do with "big boy football" or little boy football or medium boy football. It has to do with connecting the program to the university and the larger community. UConn is national flag blue and white. Alabama is Crimson, Notre Dame is Blue & gold, Michigan is Maise and blue, It really doesn't matter whether we're playing in the NESCAC or the SEC. When USA Hockey plays in next year's Olmpics, they'll wear red white & blue uniforms, not green and gold. Because red white & blue stands for something, and connects them to the nation they represent. In the same way that my high school wore green & white. It connected us to the school and to the town, and them to us. At UConn we wore blue & white. it was significant and to me and my teammates it was said something about who we represented. Red & white was worn by BU and maroon & white by UMass. We wouldn't, and wouldn't want to wear those colors. I still think that is important to a team and its fans.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
We should go with plaid. I don't think anyone has done that yet. Really loud plaid shirts and a different plaid for the pants. If your uniforms don't have any connection to the institution you represent you might as well just hand out random jerseys on game day like they did in gym class. hand out those 2 sided jerseys. Visiting team wears the white side and the Home team wears the color, whatever it might be. In basketball the home team can be shirts and the visitors can be skins. It has nothing to do with "big boy football" or little boy football or medium boy football. It has to do with connecting the program to the university and the larger community. UConn is national flag blue and white. Alabama is Crimson, Notre Dame is Blue & gold, Michigan is Maise and blue, It really doesn't matter whether we're playing in the NESCAC or the SEC. When USA Hockey plays in next year's Olmpics, they'll wear red white & blue uniforms, not green and gold. Because red white & blue stands for something, and connects them to the nation they represent. In the same way that my high school wore green & white. It connected us to the school and to the town, and them to us. At UConn we wore blue & white. it was significant and to me and my teammates it was said something about who we represented. Red & white was worn by BU and maroon & white by UMass. We wouldn't, and wouldn't want to wear those colors. I still think that is important to a team and its fans.

Spot on. This nonsense about "innovative" uniform designs has gotten out of hand. Its not a GD fashion show, its college football for cryin out loud. I like some variety as much as the next guy, but ENOUGH already.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, Phil Knight (i.e., Nike) has donated at least a hundred million to Oregon. They wear whatever Nike (I mean Phil) tells them to wear. Whereas on the other hand, we crap on our major donors and wonder why they stop giving.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Helmets would have been fine as an alternate if our brand was more stable.

I'm still blaming shortsightedness and an inability to adapt to a changing situation. Also, cheapness at not having more than two options (most others who do this have more)

Changing the logo and helmets just as the program was drifting into mid major darkness was not a good move.

Yes, the cub scout logo reference in the UCF thread still stings. F Nike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom