OT: Worst Helmets Ever | The Boneyard

OT: Worst Helmets Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
13800456191380031586FVirginiaTech.jpg

You know, I think some schools are taking this alternate uni thing a little too far.

Reaction Score
Good news is that it will be trashed after this disaster of a season. Nobody will want any evidence that 2013 even happened. The dopey dog eyes will be gone. In a perfect world, th eentire Donald experiment will be over. maybe we sign with Addidas under the condition that they redesign everything from logo (all white) to helmet (not silly)

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Most of the feedback I got from my friends around the country who are not UConn fans was they really liked the Block C helmets and thought getting rid of them was a mistake. I agree. I guess time will tell.

I'm seriously hoping that when our new HC comes in he lobbys WM and Athletics to let Football go back to our roots (even though it was only 10 years) and bring back the block C helmets. The new dog is fine, keep it for everything else, jerseys, etc... but the block C should be on our helmets, and at the 50 yard line.

Reaction Score
As I've said a few times, this era will be looked back on as the college football equivalent of the late 70s-80s in baseball when new technology made it possible to design ugly uniforms and many teams took advantage of that technology... to design ugly uniforms (Pirates bumblebee suits, White Sox shorts, Padres mustard yellows, Houston rainbow jersey). We're at the same point with football helmets today. A couple of years from now folks will realize that just because you can design something dumb like VaTech's wall or our eyeballs, doesn't mean you should actually do it. The Pirates don't wear those round bumble bee hats any more thankfully. I'm just disappointed that UConn got caught up in the craziness.

Reaction Score
I like the uniforms, like the UCONN on the back of the helmets, do not like the decal at all. I would keep everything else.

The Husky decal on the helmet needs to redesigned. I like the idea, but don't particularly care for the execution. My first impression when I saw them in person the first time at the Towson game was that it looked like they were wearing practice unis.

Reaction Score
College Football is about tradition and identity. Nike is about fad, shock and constant change. The two do not go together. The block C was simple, classic and classy, befitting a well respected national university. We look a second rate semi-pro football team. Sadly, we play like one too right now.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Who gives a fig about the helmets. I know I don't. There are bigger issuers surrounding this team than nit-picking the helmets. Let's improve our performance on the field and win some games.

Reaction Score
As much as we can all complain about the uniforms it is more important for the recruits to like them. If you don't think Oregon's crazy combinations are desirable to kids you are very wrong.

A friend who is a RU fan sent me a youtube link last year when they went to their new uniforms. The video was of Ray Rice, one of the McCourtys & a few of their other NFL alumni going nuts over the new uniforms with a quote by Rice saying something like 'these guys get to benefit from what we started". Yet, if you look at their message board all the posters do is complain about the uniforms and how they are not "traditional" anymore.

As long as the kids like them we will have to learn to live with them

Reaction Score
bobbyinaz,
That's nonsense. In fact, its the worst reason to design something.

Reaction Score
Who gives a fig about the helmets. I know I don't. There are bigger issuers surrounding this team than nit-picking the helmets. Let's improve our performance on the field and win some games.
It's fine to feel this way, but why interject this into a thread about helmets? There are plenty of threads right now,that talk about your concerns of onfield performance, which we all share with you btw.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Minority opinion: I don't mind the helmets although I think that because they are associated with this season, they'll be replaced by our new coach.

Reaction Score
bobbyinaz is correct. These re-designs are not made for late middle aged guys like me.
Unfortunately, its us middle aged fat guys that pay the freight and fill (ok, mostly) fill the stands, buy the beer, buy the hoodies and jerseys, and scramble to find a TV outlet to watch away games. You sell to the audience. If we were a winning program it would be the last thing kids would care about. I cant see a kid saying I chose University X because their uniforms are cool. They care about playing prime time football, winning and living the dream of maybe making it to the NFL. My 2 nickels.

Reaction Score
I agree with the OP.
These helmets might have seemed like a good idea if you were on LSD. They scream I'm a Micky Mouse team.

They should be relagated to the trash ASAP.
They remind me of a gimmick that habitual losers would think might make your crummy team standout.
Nice big C or UC woould suffice.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, its us middle aged fat guys that pay the freight and fill (ok, mostly) fill the stands, buy the beer, buy the hoodies and jerseys, and scramble to find a TV outlet to watch away games. You sell to the audience. If we were a winning program it would be the last thing kids would care about. I cant see a kid saying I chose University X because their uniforms are cool. They care about playing prime time football, winning and living the dream of maybe making it to the NFL. My 2 nickels.
If you stop filling seats, buying beers and jerseys because of a helmet design you don't like, you are a clown. Or Freescooter.

Oregon built a program on the back of having an exciting brand of football and a wide array or uniforms.

You can disagree with the rebrand, but if that's reason enough to stop doing your job as fan, you were never a fan to begin with.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
bobbyinaz,
That's nonsense. In fact, its the worst reason to design something.

Yeah, you're right, marketing your product for your customers is the worst thing you can do.

:rolleyes:

UConn football hasn't got a lot to sell itself. If anything, the uniforms should be even more extreme to make them a selling point.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As far as recruits & kids go there is a reason Oregon is now one of the highest schools in licensing revenue. It certainly isn't middle aged fat guys buying all this gear

[/quote]
Well they ought to. Those fat bastards need to cover up!
Tight+Shirt.jpg

Reaction Score
Please. It's all about perspective. If we were 5-1 these helmets would be provocative and cutting edge. At 0-6 they're mickey mouse and minor league. If your wife got fat you'd bitch and moan about how she burns everything she cooks. If she stayed slim and sexy you'd brag about how she's always cooking Cajun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom