OT: Utah NIL collective gifts all 85 scholarship players Dodge Ram 1500 trucks | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Utah NIL collective gifts all 85 scholarship players Dodge Ram 1500 trucks

Reaction Score
A tad bit unrelated but I never get people's obsession with trucks. 90% of the people that have them do not need them, and the people that do would save a lot of money getting one of those smaller Japanese trucks.
Almost makes you hope gas goes to $6/gallon. I kid. I kid!!

Reaction Score
Wow! That’s pretty impressive! I’m curious to see the backside of this NIL world in about 10 years when 99% of these kids never made it to the NFL. What kinds of life skills did they learn while in college and how can they apply them to their new lives of mediocrity. Can’t help but feel like they’re pawns in a plan to make the rich and greedy even richer at the expense of their development as young men
I don't disagree with your conclusions, but it's no different than it was before NIL, right? The truck may not be the most practical, and the kid is going to have to pay tax, but the 10s or 100s of thousands in cash also being doled out can definitely help a kid bridge the gap from the end of their playing life to their working life.

Some will waste the money and opportunity, but there should also be a number of kids that are better off than the past. Some would've come out with only a college degree in the past (nothing to sneeze at), but now they may have a nest egg to help them start their working life without worrying about how to pay for food/rent.

Keep in mind, the Ivy League now allows NIL. In the past, the alums used to get cushy part time and summer jobs for players. Now they'll be able to flat-out pay them. Savvy kids and/or parents are going to be able to use NIL to set themselves up nicely. I think schools should hire investment advisers to give some guidance on the options and ramifications for the money they are getting. I'm sure some advisers would do it cheap in order to get an in with potential high earning athletes (or college grads).

Reaction Score
Old man yelling at clouds warning......

These kids would be way better served with a $25k IRA or something.

They get nothing out of the truck other than a ride while in college and promoting a dealership.

I'd like to see the dealer resell the vehicles and as part of the sale promote which player's truck is being bought. Set a baseline price for a truck and if the value of the resale goes up due to who drove it, the player pockets that money.
None of NIL is about the kids or their futures.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Exciting for the kids, but I don't see how one of those kids doesn't do something wretchedly stupid. I wonder what the insurance policy looks like on 85 leased trucks to college kids :D

and is this taxable income to the players?
Yes it is.

Reaction Score
There is absolutely nothing stopping you from providing your skillful leadership in a project like this. Start your own collective and lead the charge.
I would love to contribute to a collective - unfortunately I think there are others who have far greater reach to get support for something like this. Hmmmm I wonder who? Who would be best suited to encourage and work with a collective?

Reaction Score
Old man yelling at clouds warning......

These kids would be way better served with a $25k IRA or something.

They get nothing out of the truck other than a ride while in college and promoting a dealership.

I'd like to see the dealer resell the vehicles and as part of the sale promote which player's truck is being bought. Set a baseline price for a truck and if the value of the resale goes up due to who drove it, the player pockets that money.
The punters truck? who'd buy that

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Do they come with unlimited gas credit cards? or fleet cards?

Reaction Score
Lease? These trucks will be unsellable off lease.

Reaction Score
Giving players cash and leasing them automobiles is definitely about the kids. And it’s long overdue.
fbBNEQbLQdXKU.gif

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
A tad bit unrelated but I never get people's obsession with trucks. 90% of the people that have them do not need them, and the people that do would save a lot of money getting one of those smaller Japanese trucks.
You're right that is unrelated.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Stuff like this is even worse than UConn's horrible play in driving me away from CFB.

I'm OK with players getting paid for their NIL- but where's the oversight? Where are the guardrails? Does any sane person think this is healthy?

Reaction Score
Giving players cash and leasing them automobiles is definitely about the kids. And it’s long overdue.
Those vehicles are essential to getting those scholar-athletes to class more efficiently. Beyond obscene.

Reaction Score
All I want is a small body-on-frame truck so I can mulch, bring my mower/blowers to my parents house, pull stumps, and do other basic yard work. Even Tacomas are too big for the job and that's about as small as you can get 'em. I miss the old Rangers/S10s... perfect size.

The average guy with an F-150 would be better off in a Camry, but he needs the ego boost due to a sad, lonely life and small... hands.
I don’t have a truck, I am dying for one for Home Depot runs, furniture transport, and to bring my snowblower and mower for service.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
It's sad to think that any players would consider a truck lease to be an incentive. Bottom of the depth chart, non-skill position players maybe, I guess. Can't wait for the data to start pouring in on how many of these trucks are involved in police blotter incidents. With cash on the other hand, regardless of the motivation behind the giving, it's totally up to the player to use it to set himself up for life after football. Or not.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I don’t have a truck, I am dying for one for Home Depot runs, furniture transport, and to bring my snowblower and mower for service.
Trying to bring back a 1.5 acre lot from 40 years of neglect and bring an 1850 farmhouse up to snuff before I'm too old to stand up straight. Bought a used Nissan Frontier with a V6. Indispensable.

Reaction Score
That sounds exactly like the reasons I want a truck, lol.

Reaction Score
Trying to bring back a 1.5 acre lot from 40 years of neglect and bring an 1850 farmhouse up to snuff before I'm too old to stand up straight. Bought a used Nissan Frontier with a V6. Indispensable.
Reliable? Price seems right on used ones.

Reaction Score
None of NIL is about the kids or their futures.

Or "name", "image" or "likeness" for that matter. Would wager most cfb fans (and maybe even the dude that is funding the truck deal) couldn't name 3 of the 85 that got trucked.... How much longer til there's a salary cap?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This type of stuff is so stupid that it will hopefully lead us back to some sort of common sense. The liability is enormous.

I'd love to believe a dealership which can afford this type of cost has good lawyers and has thought this through. I also am realistic enough to know successful people can do stupid things once they become successful.

There will be lawsuits based off of some of the choices the players makes while they have custody of these vehicles. Whether it's them driving it themself, loaning it out to friends or something else, at some point this will become newsworthy for the wrong reasons and this promo will end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom