OT: USA Men and Germany OMG | The Boneyard

OT: USA Men and Germany OMG

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
1-1 USA pressing in second half and German defender finally gave up and fell on the ball hugging it with both arms!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
US now playing for a tie and it won't work!

I stand corrected. You were right. US tied Germany 2-1. Wait...Huh?!?!:confused:

(US outplayed Germany for the last 30+ minutes of the match.)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I stand corrected. You were right. US tied Germany 2-1. Wait...Huh?!?!:confused:

(US outplayed Germany for the last 30+ minutes of the match.)

When I was watching the US had pretty much retreated to a goal line stance - sorta a maginot line (bad pun intended), and they continued that approach for quite a while. The second goal was a quick offensive thrust and a brilliant individual play. What could have happened is illustrated by the Germans' hitting the crossbar with less than a minute to play in the "make up" time. But I do see the humor. While I would like to claim a reverse karma intent with my prediction, I did expect the maginot line to be as effective as the real one the German Army faced.

Reaction Score
What could have happened is illustrated by the Germans' hitting the crossbar with less than a minute to play in the "make up" time.

Had that ball - which hit high on the crossbar - been fully below the crossbar, Guzan might well have got his hand on it and tipped it out.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Had that ball - which hit high on the crossbar - been fully below the crossbar, Guzan might well have got his hand on it and tipped it out.

Yup. And he probably would have had that chance had the defender not also made contact with Guzan's header, or maybe it would have gone in just to the left of his outstretched hand just under the bar. My point was nothing is foreordained by asserted "playing better" and particularly when you are playing a superb team like Germany and have decided to pull back, clog it up and wait it out. That was a superb effort by the Germans in the waning moments and exposed the US to the tie they seemed to be content with late in the first half.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It looked like it deflected off Alvarado's head also.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It think it was Grant Wahl who tweeted (or retweeted) something like "last time we beat Germany on German soil was in May 1945".

Two-laughing-cats1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32