OT: US mens soccer team | The Boneyard

OT: US mens soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watched the US demolish Scotland. I can't remember a more dominating offensive performance. The younger / newer players seemed to revitalize some of the veterans and the tempo was just much quicker than I have witnessed watching them play ( I have followed the US national team since the late 70's). Wondering if Klinsman (sp) philosophy is starting to take hold or if the younger players are just more talented than what we are used to. Probably a combination of both. Should be interesting to see how we do against Brazil on Wednesday. Also we played without arguably our best player Clint Dempsey.

caw

Reaction Score
Scotland was shockingly bad. They aren't that bad a team, usually.

The US played the best game I've seen from them in a long long time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Our best player might just be Michael Bradley.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I don't follow soccer much but I enjoy the World Cup. Didn't they not qualify for the Olympics?

Reaction Score
They did not qualify for the Olympics, but the men's national team is not the team that is used to qualify for the Olympics. Not sure of reason, but I am almost positive they used the under 23 national team. Maybe someone here knows the reason it is done that way. It will be interesting to see how we do against Brazil ( in MD) on Wednesday and Canada ( in Toronto) on Sunday. I was pleasantly surprised at how they played last night, even though Scotland is not a top level team ( i believe they are 48th in world rankings)

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I believe that Olympic soccer only consists of under-23 national teams. They did this to differentiate it from the World Cup.

Reaction Score
I believe that Olympic soccer only consists of under-23 national teams. They did this to differentiate it from the World Cup.

Yea, they are -- for the most part -- U23 teams in the Olympics. Each team gets 3 exceptions to this rule so the US could have brought Dempsey, Donovan and Howard had they qualified.

The US Men's team has had an impressive run in the past 5 games. The younger players have been very impressive and I think that Jurgen's coaching is beginning to pay dividends.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The US midfield looked better than I can ever recall... and it's nice to see chances get finished. Will have to see how they perform against a team that would be able to pressure the ball better than Scotland did.

Reaction Score
In olympic soccer the restrictions i believe stem from old notions of amateurism being a requirement for olympic competition. The US men's national team certainly looked pretty good, on the other hand, soccer is a fickle game so maybe it's not too appropriate to draw conclusions from a friendly.

Reaction Score
This thread doesn't yet have the obligatory "how to make soccer better" post, so I'll add some:

Send guys off the field for 3-5 minutes for fouls, not the ball to the guy who just got hacked exactly where he got hacked.

Get rid of offsides, or make it like hockey offsides, and the game would have a better future in the U.S.. Nothing more irritating than watching defenders move away from their goal while not defending anything to force an "offside" on a player who is 15 yards from a ball handler. Defenders should defend, not trap.

Get rid of the penalty kick concept as it now stands. In top play, about 85% of the shots go in. That's stupid. Move it back, or change the angle. Put some risk in it. Also, can the whole idea of a penalty area - play within the box is called differently than play outside the box, and getting fouled in the corner of the box shouldn't result in a likely goal.

Make diving a game misconduct penalty.

If you did those things, soccer could actually be a Major sport in the U.S..

That should do it.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
This thread doesn't yet have the obligatory "how to make soccer better" post, so I'll add some:

Send guys off the field for 3-5 minutes for fouls, not the ball to the guy who just got hacked exactly where he got hacked.

Get rid of offsides, or make it like hockey offsides, and the game would have a better future in the U.S.. Nothing more irritating than watching defenders move away from their goal while not defending anything to force an "offside" on a player who is 15 yards from a ball handler. Defenders should defend, not trap.

Get rid of the penalty kick concept as it now stands. In top play, about 85% of the shots go in. That's stupid. Move it back, or change the angle. Put some risk in it.

Make diving a game misconduct penalty.

If you did those things, soccer could actually be a Major sport in the U.S..

That should do it.
Take the most popular sport in the world and change it so it appeals to Americans. Brilliant!

Reaction Score
Soccer is fine the way it is. I think the reason it has become so popular and remained so is not only because of history but because there are not very many rules and it is easy to just grab a ball and start playing essentially the same game that the professionals play, minus the ridiculous salaries, transfer fees and perhaps brightly colored 200 hundred dollar shoes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Soccer doesn't need to change. It's reached the point where it continues to get bigger in the US. The last day of season in the Premier League you could watch four (or was it five) games live in the US.

Reaction Score
Soccer definitely doesn't need to change. It's a great game just as it is. No doubt.

My intentional trolling was just to throw out the notion that it would be more popular in the U.S. if it changed a few things. The first thing that would have to go is offsides - it's arbitrary and completely stupid. All it does it force defenses to play position rather than man and ball. Further, it results in every other goal being followed by the goaltender and 3 defenders jumping up and down with 1 arm up begging for an offsides. Finally, it slows the game down. Get rid of it. There is zero point to it. If you want to make sure that there is no basket hanging, then put in a hockey rule - ball crosses the 1/3 pitch line first. Would make the game substantially more interesting and watchable on T.V., and allow it to compete with the dog-shows on TV.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Take the most popular sport in the world and change it so it appeals to Americans. Brilliant!
I mean we've already done that with pretty much everything else, and the rest of the world is totally down with it!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Scotland is really, really bad and has been for quite some time. Don't get too excited, but it was a great performance.

Reaction Score
I mean we've already done that with pretty much everything else, and the rest of the world is totally down with it!
American Culture dominates the world. I don't like that, but that's the way it is. Do a google trends on the word "soccer" in the U.S.. Soccer is something children do for recreation. The sport is not becoming more popular in the U.S..
To say "the rest of the world" loves soccer misses the point.
Pointing to rinky dink latin American countries with a combined GDP equal to your corner Walmart store misses the point.
People in most other countries love soccer for the same reason that people in madagascar love fried beetles - they grew up with it and it's what they can afford.
My point isn't that Soccer is popular elsewhere - great and good. Take that to the bank.
My point is that Soccer could be a lot more popular in the U.S. if they simply made it a better spectator sport.

Something about the soccer nuts is pretty funny to me - they'll talk all day on this forum about implementing new rules in basketball, but they react defensively to any notion that soccer should consider changing rules to make it a better sport.

Soccer is like NCAA pre-shot clock. I remember being a kid watching St. Johns in a 4 corners thinking, "why do my parents find this entertaining?"

In order to take soccer from in back of tiddly winks to a major sport in the U.S., change the rules to make it more exciting. Instead of 1-0 snoozers, aim for 3-6 goals a team each game. Just a few rule tweaks would go a long way, without fundamentally changing the game.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
If they want to make it popular in the US, all they need to do is encourage rough physical contact. That would take at least a generation to properly implement, though. Current players (called "foot fairies" by everyone that didn't play soccer in high school) are not used to playing in a physically violent environment.

Reaction Score
Soccer is way more physical then baseball and some may argue that it's more physical than non play off nba bball

Reaction Score
Soccer is becoming more popular in America and to refute that is to simply be out of touch with reality. The MLS is growing, the national team is getting better, and more people are watching international soccer in this country than ever before. ESPN and Univision paid about $500 million for the USA rights to the 2010 and 2014 World Cups. Fox just paid a little over $1 billion for the 2018 and 2022 world cup broadcast rights in the USA. ESPN just started a new website for their American audience for the upcoming European championships, and the buy in price for MLS franchises has skyrocketed (relative to previous levels) in the past 10 years.

If you were at a bar in Manhattan two Saturdays ago in the afternoon you would likely have noticed that the Champions League final was on more TV's than the Rangers/Devils game. The discussion over whether soccer will ever catch the other sports is a different one, but you are simply ignoring the facts if you are saying that soccer isn't becoming more popular. The kids you talk about that played soccer as kids now play FIFA on their PS3's and XBox's and watch soccer games in the morning on weekends.

I don't get the comment about the physicality, or lack thereof. Baseball doesn't involve physicality except for when a fight occurs, which has nothing to do with the rules of the game. No one is going to argue that soccer players would beat other athletes in a street fight, but there is plenty of physicality and taking a metal stud to your body is far from a pleasant experience. Criticizing the rampant diving is fair game, but arguing that rules should be changed to allow more physicality doesn't make sense.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Soccer is way more physical then baseball and some may argue that it's more physical than non play off nba bball

Meh, soccer has had a well-known tradition of players flopping for years, something that is just starting to become widespread in the NBA.

American culture as a whole will never support a sport where players try to pull like this

1240308743_soccer-wtf.gif

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
arguing that rules should be changed to allow more physicality doesn't make sense.
Most violent sport in America: football
Most popular sport in America: football

Remember the UFC explosion a couple years ago? Or how popular the WWE continues to be?

Americans love violence. No denying that. Why do you think people go to NASCAR races? They're really hoping to see a crash.

Allow some good old 'Merican violence in soccer and its popularity will go up. Even just the occasional blind-sided forearm shiver will bring in more viewers.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
It's mainly the most popular sport outside of the US as there is much less choice - there is a reason it hasn't caught on here. In the US athletes can make money in Baseball, Basketball, Football, not to mention having professions in golf, swimming, hockey, biking, tennis, skiing, snow boarding, road racing, and track and field. But the big 3 take most of the kids today who are future professional athletes in skills and abilities.

imho another reason is that soccer at the youth level is full of know it alls who drive kids out of the sport by the time they reach high school. Commitment to playing soccer only kills it for most of the kids I know. By the time they get to high school in Westport, most soccer players have switched to lacrosse, rowing, volleyball or golf.

I think the game at the pro level is the most boring in the world (2 minutes of excitement vs. 88 minutes of boredom) and I was a huge UConn soccer fan when Morrone was hired - I went to every soccer game in the northeast UConn played in the 4.5 years I went to school there. Soccer games decided by penalty shots are a sport killer - why waste 90 minutes or longer just to have it come to that?

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Soccer games decided by penalty shots are a sport killer - why waste 90 minutes or longer just to have it come to that?
What about hockey? Or is it that the average hockey game has much more action throughout so it's okay if it ends up being decided by penalty shots anyway?

And you can't deny that penalty shots to end games create some seriously dramatic moments.

Reaction Score
What about hockey? . . . And you can't deny that penalty shots to end games create some seriously dramatic moments.
Yeah but . . . hockey never ends zero/zero with a few shots on net over 90+ minutes.
So.
There's that.

Penalty shots are dramatic, true. But that's not the point.

The point is that nobody believes that a shootout somehow decides the better team, and it creates tremendous incentive for weaker teams to play for ties, or not to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom