OT: UConn chicks | The Boneyard

OT: UConn chicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The next time someone tries to claim that women's basketball is more fundamentally sound, I'm breaking out clips of the 2012/13 UConn chicks.

In regulation, instead of icing the game after an ND miss while they were up one, Dolson throws a moving screen 90' from the basket and fouls out in the process. Somehow, she managed to wrack up 11 turnovers - they should shoot a center who turns the ball over 11 times.

Instead of a last second shot after ND ties it, Doty gets herself trapped at midcourt.

They miss four of five free throws in OT - three front ends. Up three, Geno opts not to foul - Doty doesn't even bother defending, so ND banks in a three. Doty throws up a three-quarter court shot Roscoe-style with five seconds left giving ND another shot.

They're gutty, they're talented, but s***, they're stupid.

Reaction Score
The next time someone tries to claim that women's basketball is more fundamentally sound, I'm breaking out clips of the 2012/13 UConn chicks.

In regulation, instead of icing the game after an ND miss while they were up one, Dolson throws a moving screen 90' from the basket and fouls out in the process. Somehow, she managed to wrack up 11 turnovers - they should shoot a center who turns the ball over 11 times.

Instead of a last second shot after ND ties it, Doty gets herself trapped at midcourt.

They miss four of five free throws in OT - three front ends. Up three, Geno opts not to foul - Doty doesn't even bother defending, so ND banks in a three. Doty throws up a three-quarter court shot Roscoe-style with five seconds left giving ND another shot.

They're gutty, they're talented, but s***, they're stupid.

I'm pretty sure they just said Skyler Diggers was 10-30 from the floor in this game. Selvie must be so jealous right now.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yeah, this is really ugly.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I just turned it on and saw UConn get the ball tied up, miss one of two FTs, commit an offensive foul, commit another offensive foul.

So I have no idea what you're talking about.

Reaction Score
I agree completely. It may be more fundamentally sound when they're playing teams, who on a good day, won't finish within 40 points of them, but whenever I watch a high ranking game, there are generally a lot of turnovers, mental errors, blown layups, etc.

Reaction Score
The fundamentals are atrocious, the decision making is atrocious, the refs are atrocious. This UConn team is much more talented than Notre Dame but they are softer than charmin, they have given this game away about 20 times. I try and always watch the UConn girls when they are in a big game but this is just horrible basketball, not sure I can watch 5 more minutes of it.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
...turnover, Farris goes 1-on-2 after a horrendous possession and bails team out, fouls ND player with 2 seconds on shot clock, awful behind-the-back pass...

Reaction Score
ESPN put up at stat before how the UConn girls are 0-3 the last two seasons in games decided by 5 pts or less. This team does not know how to win close ball games. It does not help at all when you are beating teams by 40-50 pts. When games are within a few possessions down the stretch they always play uptight.

Reaction Score
losing to Baylor is acceptable, losing to ND is wrong

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
They are so mentally weak. It's amazing.

U

UCONNfan1

The women have zero mental toughness. Zero. They could use a lot of what Ollie has been feeding the guys. The amount of boneheaded, mind numbingly stupid plays made by pretty much everyone on the team is crazy.

U

UCONNfan1

Breanna Stewart is more Charde Houston then she is Maya or Diana
Agreed. #1 player in her class? Not even close. Maybe she has a ton of potential, but she's clueless out there. It's too bad. Kaleena Lewis, on the other hand, is a great player.

Reaction Score
Agreed. #1 player in her class? Not even close. Maybe she has a ton of potential, but she's clueless out there. It's too bad. Kaleena Lewis, on the other hand, is a great player.

the great ones make those fts at the end of a game even as freshmen you dont develop the clutch gene you either have it or you don't

Reaction Score
Whenever I've watched this team in a close game the past couple of years you just know there is no way they are going to pull it out, the entire team looks scared, they could have had a 10 point lead in both overtimes and they still wouldn't have held on, it's kind of sad to see a team tense up that much.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Geno couldn't find a way to get open shots for Lewis, and let Doty stumble around for 2 overtimes because he didn't trust a freshman with blazing speed.He and his team have lost their edge.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I can't get over the moving screen by Dolson.

Her 11th turnover, she fouls out and she basically sets up the first overtime. And she complains about the call that happened 90 freaking feet from the basket. Holy crap.

The team had 34 turnovers on the game. Remarkable.

Reaction Score
Don't single out Stewart it's clear she isn't ready for prime time but none of them are. Doty is an upperclassman and she adds nothing, you would think she's out there for a steadying hand but she completely tenses up. Mosqueda-Lewis seems like the only cool customer but it's hard for her to create her own shot when her teammates can't even get her the ball.

Reaction Score
Dolson was a disaster, there was absolutely no reason to be setting a pick 90 feet from the hoop with the game in hand, one of the dumber plays you will ever see on a basketball court.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Well Baylor will win it again unless a man is allowed to play against Griner would Olander get outrebounded by her/him
I think Nolan could neutralize Griner for a half.

Reaction Score

Her 11th turnover, she fouls out and she basically sets up the first overtime. And she complains about the call that happened 90 freaking feet from the basket. Holy crap.

That was definetly a flop by Diggins but yeah 34 turnovers and she did make some dumb easy calls for the officials to make. JC would always sits his guys for the half with 2 fouls but Geno always keeps his players in.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

It's...like...was it a flop, sure, but why on Earth would you do that? You think UConn is rushing to the hoop? Is that screen going to set up a fast break?

The decision was so insane I didn't even mind the bad call. She deserved the call just for doing something so incredibly thoughtless.

Reaction Score
A huge problem this Uconn team has is that they don't have a real point guard. All of Geno's great teams had great point guards. (Renee, Diana, Sue, Jen)

Hartley is a combo guard at best. If you play her for 40 minutes at the point (and quite often, they have to), she's going to turn the ball over. Which is fine, last year..had someone showed up to help her (and Kelly) in big games, Uconn would have won. If she was playing at a high level, the team would still be doing stupid things, but they'd be beating Notre Dame, and have a shot at Baylor. But now she's not even playing like Bria this season.

Doty just can't play against top competition anymore. It's sad, but it's the truth.

Moriah is a freshman. She plays like it.

The end of this game had Faris playing point. The same Kelly that's been Uconn's starting PF for the past three years, up until the recent Doty benching.

So, instead of running what is typically Geno's beautiful offense...they just sort of blunder around and depend on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom