OT: Today's college football lowlight is surely. . . | The Boneyard

OT: Today's college football lowlight is surely. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . the tussle between Rice and Texas A&M. Who wants to watch, since Johnny Football is reduced to spectator status for the first half because of his "inadvertent" violation of NCAA rules?

There are ample eyewitness accounts, backed up by videos, that verify that on several occasions and in at least two locations (including the residence of a known autograph broker, Drew Tieman) that JM signed hundreds (allegedly thousands) of items of football memorabilia.

The same NCAA that took years to botch their investigation of the Shapiro-Miami Football scandal and the UNC grade fixing mess moved with lightning speed to reach an accommodation with Texas A&M that would simultaneously "close the books" on this incident and open the doors for JM to play in the season opener (minus two quarters) and all games thereafter.

He was "grilled" for six hours, during which time he swore with a straight face that he was motivated by sheer generosity to help a couple really nice fellows to redecorate their domeciles with football crap bearing his signature. I am sure he was aghast at any suggestion that his gracious hosts had any ultimate "for profit" motive.

So he was let off the hook because no cash changed hands (he said so himself!) but tagged for his inadvertent stupidity.

I think of Dez Bryant, former player for Oklahoma State. He had lunch with Deion Sanders, fibbed about it, then got suspended by the NCAA for an entire season. I guess that is an "advertant" violation.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The NCAA is a disaster area where investigations are involved, but they do sponsor - and in large part pay for - the national championships that we all hope for in various sports. In addition to WBB, I have been to the Softball World Series twice, wonderful event (so much so that we wanted to make it a tradition, but it turns out we can't afford the time or tickets, on an annual basis). Likewise enjoyed UofA's run to the NC in baseball in '12. And anyone who thinks that the Bowling NC or the Division III gymnastics championships (for example) are big money makers for the NCAA have got to be kidding.

As to Johnny Football, I thought Jason Whitlock (who was back on PTI after an 8 year suspension) summed it up best - if he didn't receive any money (and he may not have), someone did receive some money who then spent it on him or for his benefit. Well put.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
According to the NCAA, ESPN is not a reliable source of info. This is not a court of law. The reports alone are enough to suspend him for the same 5 games that Terrell Pryor received.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
There is certainly a different system for NCAA "justice" when it comes to big time football compared to college basketball, (particularly when the NCAA may have a personal vendetta). The duration of the proceedings in the Johnny football and Cam Newton cases was lightning fast but for Ryan Boatright (and probably for Kentan Facey), the process will drag on for months.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
And while we are shaking our heads, how do we explain North Dakota State
beating Kansas State.
And what kind of W Va squad needs a late TD to squeak by William and Mary?:confused:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
And while we are shaking our heads, how do we explain North Dakota State
beating Kansas State.

I watched that game. NDSU deserved the win, although it was a close call. They had to convert several third downs in their final drive.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Manziel is an arrogant creep who got a big encouragement dose from the NCAA joke ruling. Received a penalty today for unsportsman like conduct. Seems he was taunting a Rice defender. The chickens will come to roost on this guy eventually.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Seems he was taunting a Rice defender. .

The difference between attitude and a.

It's why I have no issue with Taurasi, Lawson, Diggins and such. They might jaw, but they don't taunt.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Skyler doesn't taunt. She's just unaware of where her house is.

Manziel is a spectacular player; his stats last year don't lie. As much as I hate A&M, I have to admit they did the smart thing by hiring a cool Black coach in the state of Texas. And not only is he cool, but he's also a great offensive mind. But yes, Manziel the personality gives me some reason to dislike him...in addition to him being an Aggie.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I still have big questions as to whether Johnny will be a bust in the NFL.

Manziel's replacement yesterday had very similar stats. It may be the system as much as Johnny.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I still have big questions as to whether Johnny will be a bust in the NFL.

Manziel's replacement yesterday had very similar stats. It may be the system as much as Johnny.
One of the announcers yesterday said the same thing - comparing some star defensive player who is working hard to be NFL ready to Manziel, who is having the time of his life now, because he knows he has no NFL future. Or so the talking head said.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
One of the announcers yesterday said the same thing - comparing some star defensive player who is working hard to be NFL ready to Manziel, who is having the time of his life now, because he knows he has no NFL future. Or so the talking head said.

What? The 2nd coming of Tebow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01