OT:Tiny pet peeve | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT:Tiny pet peeve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have to admit that stuff like that does bother me a little bit, but mostly from my own posts rather than from the posts of others. As long as I can understand what the poster is trying to say, I usually won't call them out on it. There was one time where I called someone out on the BY for using a triple negative (I don't think I had ever seen one before) because I couldn't tell if he was agreeing with me or arguing with me.

My pet peeve that I will ask Boneyarders not to do (like it matters what I ask) is to try your best not to misspell the names of recruits and players when you create threads for them. It is probably feels a lot better for these guys when they view the fansite of the university they just gave a verbal to and to see their name look the way it should. It's not a big deal, but it's just a nice thing to have...

Triple negative??? Had to be BL ... :D

But seriously ... worrying about spelling and grammar on an internet message board is a little much ... names of players not withstanding ...

Reaction Score
I have to admit that stuff like that does bother me a little bit, but mostly from my own posts rather than from the posts of others. As long as I can understand what the poster is trying to say, I usually won't call them out on it. There was one time where I called someone out on the BY for using a triple negative (I don't think I had ever seen one before) because I couldn't tell if he was agreeing with me or arguing with me.

My pet peeve that I will ask Boneyarders not to do (like it matters what I ask) is to try your best not to misspell the names of recruits and players when you create threads for them. It is probably feels a lot better for these guys when they view the fansite of the university they just gave a verbal to and to see their name look the way it should. It's not a big deal, but it's just a nice thing to have...
I'm pretty sure BL STILL spells Lorenzen "Lorentzen". I always found that funny because he isusually defending him.

Other favorites include: "Frazier" and "Edsel"

Reaction Score
Small grammatical thing. Lot's of people write "should of" or "would of" etc, when the right way is "should have" or "could have". The conjunction is, for example "should've" which sounds like "should of" but isn't.
It's a message board for god sakes.

Reaction Score
My pet peeves are coaches who take 3 TO's into the locker room when they should of used one to get better field position, coaches who don't know when to take a knee to win a game, and over-sensitive journalists.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
grammarpolice-585x322.jpg

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It is probably feels a lot better for these guys...

Who the hell was this a that typed "It is probably feels"??? Oh yeah, I know that dude...f#$k!!! :mad:

Reaction Score
Small grammatical thing. Lot's of people write "should of" or "would of" etc, when the right way is "should have" or "could have". The conjunction is, for example "should've" which sounds like "should of" but isn't.
F of

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
While we're on topic, my pet peeves:
1) drivers who leave their signal on well after completing a turn;
2) people who text while driving;
3) cats who poop in my yard;
4) poor clock management;
5) tofu;
6) singing and dancing shows;
7) singing and dancing movies;
8) singing and dancing documentaries;
9) the number 9;
10) street plows that knock over my mailbox

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I would like to take this opportunity to point out that when I correct someone's grammar, it is done tongue in cheek. These corrections are done as a parody of people who do actually care... it's the internet for crying out loud. If people can upload videos of horses fornicating with people on the internet, you can type should of on a message board. I don't give a fack how people spell on here as long as the substance of the post is clear without the post needing to be read more than once. JMO.

As far as posting on these message boards goes, I totally agree. The reason I never single anyone out is that there is no point to doing that. The whole reason I posted , futile I'm sure (but I sure got a crapload more response than I expected) is that that particular misuse is certainly one that just about all the people who use it carry into whatever medium they might be using, so a little, non-accusatory hint might be good. And it is a fair number of people. If you are in a job that requires writing business letters, you never know - like it or not - what will jump off the page at someone when a little distraction is the last thing you want. Maybe it's because I'm of a certain age, but it's obvious that the informality of e-mail, texting, tweeting etc., etc. etc, has pretty much destroyed good writing practice. But, whatever. We are all UConn fans, that I'm pretty sure of (have?).

Reaction Score
As far as posting on these message boards goes, I totally agree. The reason I never single anyone out is that there is no point to doing that. The whole reason I posted , futile I'm sure (but I sure got a crapload more response than I expected) is that that particular misuse is certainly one that just about all the people who use it carry into whatever medium they might be using, so a little, non-accusatory hint might be good. And it is a fair number of people. If you are in a job that requires writing business letters, you never know - like it or not - what will jump off the page at someone when a little distraction is the last thing you want. Maybe it's because I'm of a certain age, but it's obvious that the informality of e-mail, texting, tweeting etc., etc. etc, has pretty much destroyed good writing practice. But, whatever. We are all UConn fans, that I'm pretty sure of (have?).

Where I work they have very rigid grammatical standards. We also have "powerpoint grammar" rules. For example, a one sentence bullet does not get a period, however, a bullet with more than one sentence uses periods.

Of course they stop being bullets at that point.

We also cannot write anything in the passive voice. I sometimes have a really hard time with that.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Where I work they have very rigid grammaticaln standards. We also have "powerpoint grammar" rules. For example, a one sentence bullet does not get a period, however, a bullet with more than one sentence uses periods.

We also cannot write anything in the passive voice. I sometimes have a really hard time with that.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Where I work they have very rigid grammatical standards. We also have "powerpoint grammar" rules. For example, a one sentence bullet does not get a period, however, a bullet with more than one sentence uses periods.

You can't believe - or maybe you can - how many of my fellow attorneys write like crap. It should be impossible to get out of law school without bring able to compose even a simple letter.

Anyway, i do some fiction writing and will use the passive voice or have characters who couldn't use good grammar if they tried. I never use grammar check. Spell check always ( except on message boards).

Reaction Score
You can't believe - or maybe you can - how many of my fellow attorneys write like crap. It should be impossible to get out of law school without bring able to compose even a simple letter.

Anyway, i do some fiction writing and will use the passive voice or have characters who couldn't use good grammar if they tried. I never use grammar check. Spell check always ( except on message boards).

What kind of fiction? Waylon and his buddies do a great deal of that right here on the Boneyard.

I am in the military and I will tell you that the average person, whether officer or enlisted is a truly awful writer. I have to edit a fairly lengthy report each week, and each section comes from various other offices and locations. Most of the people who do this are GS Civilians, and they have basically learned that if they turn in something shoddy, that someone else upstream will fix it for them. Wonderful. They take very little pride in the product.

95% of the people that post here are better writers. The simple fact that people bother to write about sports here shows that they like writing.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
What kind of fiction? Waylon and his buddies do a great deal of that right here on the Boneyard.

I am in the military and I will tell you that the average person, whether officer or enlisted is a truly awful writer. I have to edit a fairly lengthy report each week, and each section comes from various other offices and locations. Most of the people who do this are GS Civilians, and they have basically learned that if they turn in something shoddy, that someone else upstream will fix it for them. Wonderful. They take very little pride in the product.

95% of the people that post here are better writers. The simple fact that people bother to write about sports here shows that they like writing.

You do know that Waylon and I sit on the same side of the aisle since you spend time wallowing in the Cesspool. Fabrication, if any, is not limited to the left.

I'm genreless. I write what interests me. A definite problem when seeking an agent or a publisher. I'm toying with self-publishing through Amazon. Novel # 1 is loosely science fictiony, but mostly philosophical, with a heavy dose of examining how religion, for better or worse, causes people to behave in ways both laudable and counter-productive. That one got a decent look from a legit NYC agency before they decided I and they might become the new Salmon Rushdie. #2 - you'll love this - is a broad parody of TV political talk/call in shows, with, um a certain network often associated with the right as the principal model. That one had a reputable e-book publisher take a long, hard look before deciding no. That was excruciating because it looked promising. #3, almost done, is drawn from a true story and Mrs. Cohenzone thinks it is the most commercial. It's pretty heavy, and fictionalized, with enough of the real events mixed in, although the reader wouldn't know. It is about a girl who has suffered unspeakable abuse, but who remarkably makes her way. The real story is humble, yet more impressive than I could ever put into words.

I've had professional writers read my stuff and the reaction has been good. I ask for tough critiques, but none could ever match what goes on in the Cesspool. I really have no desire for posthumous fame. At this point, I'm known mostly for aggravating some people on the BY with an innocent OT post. I should of known better.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

That was gold. I burst out laughing reading that.

Reaction Score
iduagreewiddaoriginolposterthatgrammercanbeimpotent - Can you can grasp the agrument?

Question: Why is bad grammer acceptable on a message board? Lazy? Excuse for not being able to write?

I will admit that my grammer & spelling sometimes is lacking but I do try to make my posts resemble proper written English language.

Not attacking just asking.

Reaction Score
That sounds interesting. Let everyone know when you publish.

It's ok to be on the same side of aisle as Smithers. You may not want to be on the same row however.

You do know that Waylon and I sit on the same side of the aisle since you spend time wallowing in the Cesspool. Fabrication, if any, is not limited to the left.

I'm genreless. I write what interests me. A definite problem when seeking an agent or a publisher. I'm toying with self-publishing through Amazon. Novel # 1 is loosely science fictiony, but mostly philosophical, with a heavy dose of examining how religion, for better or worse, causes people to behave in ways both laudable and counter-productive. That one got a decent look from a legit NYC agency before they decided I and they might become the new Salmon Rushdie. #2 - you'll love this - is a broad parody of TV political talk/call in shows, with, um a certain network often associated with the right as the principal model. That one had a reputable e-book publisher take a long, hard look before deciding no. That was excruciating because it looked promising. #3, almost done, is drawn from a true story and Mrs. Cohenzone thinks it is the most commercial. It's pretty heavy, and fictionalized, with enough of the real events mixed in, although the reader wouldn't know. It is about a girl who has suffered unspeakable abuse, but who remarkably makes her way. The real story is humble, yet more impressive than I could ever put into words.

I've had professional writers read my stuff and the reaction has been good. I ask for tough critiques, but none could ever match what goes on in the Cesspool. I really have no desire for posthumous fame. At this point, I'm known mostly for aggravating some people on the BY with an innocent OT post. I should of known better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom