OT: Tiger's weekend @ Merion | The Boneyard

OT: Tiger's weekend @ Merion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
+12 with 7 to play, 9 over so far

I said he had zero chance 2 win Open this year and got attacked. His game is not suitable to major courses any longer. His driving game is terrible, and putting streaky at best.

He may still beak through for 1 or more majors, I don't see him getting to 18.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Merion is tearing everyone up though. I think he'll win 1-2 more majors with a slew of other tournaments.

Reaction Score
I don't think it is as much, close to even is about right for US Opens, with how the USGA gimmicks up the courses.

The US Open is my least favorite because of the USGA. The Open Champ is by far the best, no gimmicks, play the courses the same way they've been for decades.

Reaction Score
The British Open courses get shredded if there's no wind. I think around even par is how a golf tournament should play. Who wants to see a guy win a major with -19? I like seeing these guys get challenged.

Reaction Score
Carnoustie is the best and hardest golf course in the world, no one comes close to scores like that. It plays the same way it does everyday, not like the USGA gimmicks.

Also, wind blows 3 of 4 or 4 of 4. Pretty much it's part of the plan.

The British Open courses get shredded if there's no wind. I think around even par is how a golf tournament should play. Who wants to see a guy win a major with -19? I like seeing these guys get challenged.

Reaction Score
It was stupid to say he had "zero chance" then and it's still stupid. He didn't win, that's all there is to say about it.

Reaction Score
Umm, no. Too many people go through life without actually making decisions. I said his game wouldn't allow him to win a US Open. He didn't, not even close.

He may again, but who knows. His game is sloppy, he can win with crap fields and lousy tracks. Majors r different.

It was stupid to say he had "zero chance" then and it's still stupid. He didn't win, that's all there is to say about it.

Reaction Score
Umm, no. Too many people go through life without actually making decisions. I said his game wouldn't allow him to win a US Open. He didn't, not even close.

He may again, but who knows. His game is sloppy, he can win with crap fields and lousy tracks. Majors r different.
It's not like you made a bold statement in saying he wouldn't win this week but sure keep patting yourself on the back. You said 1 guy wouldn't beat a field of the worlds best players on a given weekend. I'm sure he believes his game is capable of winning a us open, and frankly i would say that he's more knowledgeable on golf than you

Reaction Score
Carnoustie is the best and hardest golf course in the world, no one comes close to scores like that. It plays the same way it does everyday, not like the USGA gimmicks.

Also, wind blows 3 of 4 or 4 of 4. Pretty much it's part of the plan.
Watson won at -9 and Harrington at -7 at carnoustie.

Reaction Score
Last 20 British Open Winning Scores vs US Open. The British Open gets shredded a lot. 10/20 were double digits in the red compared to 2/20 for the US Open. Although I'm curious what you think are gimmicks (seriously). Is the long rough or tough pin placements?

British Open
+3
+6
E

US Open
+1
+1
E
+5
+5
E
E
E

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Didn't Woods just win the Players against basically the exact same field as played this weekend?

So much for the 'can only win against crappy fields' line of thought.

And the British Open is a pitch n' putt most years compared to this year's Open.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I don't think it is as much, close to even is about right for US Opens, with how the USGA gimmicks up the courses.

The US Open is my least favorite because of the USGA. The Open Champ is by far the best, no gimmicks, play the courses the same way they've been for decades.

I have to partially disagree here. I would say my least favorite it the PGA just because while it's a major, it just doesn't rise to the level of the other three. The Masters would be my second least favorite. Sure the course has some iconic holes but only cause it's the masters and not because they would be known by the course if it wasn't a major. Also, it's obviously at the same course every year and the pin placements are traditional. Everybody knows what every putt and every backboard and every hole is going to play like.

I like the Open Championship best because it's played on different courses and they are the oldest most historic courses in the world. However, they aren't always the best test of golf. Tiger won one going away without ever taking the driver out of his bag (or it may have been once in 4 days). A true test of golf should make you use every club in your bag and some of them in creative ways.

The US Open is my second favorite just for that reason. It's setup to be a true test of gold skills. What you call gimmicks are deep rough and tough pin placements. You have to manage your game on every hole, every round. This year you had to pull out big clubs and hit them precisely on 17 and 18. You couldn't lay up (Phil kind of tried that tactic and it may have cost him). If not for 15&16, Sergio played under par on the rest - but those holes tested his skills in ways he couldn't cope. He finished so far out an so far over because he didn't have the required skills in his game to complete those tests. In the US Open you have to hit fairways, you have to hit greens and you have to manage your misses. It's an amazing test of who is playing the best golf. Ball striking, putting, short game, physical and mental fatigue all come in to play. Calling it a gimmick is short sighted.

Reaction Score
Who cares. Screw Tiger.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Who cares. Screw Tiger.

There you go, that says it all.....or something?:rolleyes:

Anyway husky91 you were right and you were wrong. The Golf Channel crew mentioned he drove the ball pretty good considering the course but he putted awfully never getting the speed down at all.........Fishy said it best, he won the Players and it is considered a major by the players with one of the best fields easily. It's far from over for Tiger but his play is a bit sloppy for now. Count him out if you wish but I wouldn't........

Just as a side not did you see some of the scores from real good players? Tiger wasn't the only won who played crappy.....Rose and Merion won!!

Reaction Score
Who cares. Screw Tiger.

Thank you for your great input.

To say Tiger couldn't win is ridiculous. Since the "scandal" he has 5 top 5's in the 12 majors he played in. Does anyone else have that many during that time period?

He is right there and will win a few more.

Reaction Score
I have to partially disagree here. I would say my least favorite it the PGA just because while it's a major, it just doesn't rise to the level of the other three. The Masters would be my second least favorite. Sure the course has some iconic holes but only cause it's the masters and not because they would be known by the course if it wasn't a major. Also, it's obviously at the same course every year and the pin placements are traditional. Everybody knows what every putt and every backboard and every hole is going to play like.

I like the Open Championship best because it's played on different courses and they are the oldest most historic courses in the world. However, they aren't always the best test of golf. Tiger won one going away without ever taking the driver out of his bag (or it may have been once in 4 days). A true test of golf should make you use every club in your bag and some of them in creative ways.

The US Open is my second favorite just for that reason. It's setup to be a true test of gold skills. What you call gimmicks are deep rough and tough pin placements. You have to manage your game on every hole, every round. This year you had to pull out big clubs and hit them precisely on 17 and 18. You couldn't lay up (Phil kind of tried that tactic and it may have cost him). If not for 15&16, Sergio played under par on the rest - but those holes tested his skills in ways he couldn't cope. He finished so far out an so far over because he didn't have the required skills in his game to complete those tests. In the US Open you have to hit fairways, you have to hit greens and you have to manage your misses. It's an amazing test of who is playing the best golf. Ball striking, putting, short game, physical and mental fatigue all come in to play. Calling it a gimmick is short sighted.

While the USGA has had to rely on "tricking up" courses from time to time (Olympic in '98, Shinnecock in 2004), most of the setups have been fair. I think they got lucky with the weather this week. Had it been dry, the course would have been unplayable.

Reaction Score
Thank you for your great input.

To say Tiger couldn't win is ridiculous. Since the "scandal" he has 5 top 5's in the 12 majors he played in. Does anyone else have that many during that time period?

He is right there and will win a few more.

Look I'm just saying that since the "incident", he has not been the same guy. That air of invincibility is gone, he is shanking big shots on the regular, and was exposed for being kind of a terrible guy.

yet the whole national conversation centers around him even when we should be celebrating Phil/Rose/Mahan, etc.

I guess I just do not understand the fascination. Let him win a couple majors before we reward him with posts/attention.

He's a top 10 guy, but not the clear cut 1 anymore. lets treat him as such.

Reaction Score
Look I'm just saying that since the "incident", he has not been the same guy. That air of invincibility is gone, he is shanking big shots on the regular, and was exposed for being kind of a terrible guy.

yet the whole national conversation centers around him even when we should be celebrating Phil/Rose/Mahan, etc.

I guess I just do not understand the fascination. Let him win a couple majors before we reward him with posts/attention.

He's a top 10 guy, but not the clear cut 1 anymore. lets treat him as such.

He has won 7 times in the last year and half. That is more than anyone on the tour.

Reaction Score
I don't. Like Tiger but to say its over for him is a little pre-mature.
I'm surprised that no one mention that yesterdays result was probably the end for Phil as a contender at any major save the Masters. I sensed a defeat in him with this heart-bresk that I've never seen before.
I think it was the end.I couldn't imagine coming close six times and failing does to your love of the game.
I hope I'm wrong about this as the game needs players like this.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Tiger was +14, Rory was +15 and Adam Scott was +16 or something like that. I dont think there is too much you can read into this weekends results.

Reaction Score
Tiger was +14, Rory was +15 and Adam Scott was +16 or something like that. I dont think there is too much you can read into this weekends results.

Thank you Vuce.........the voice of reason!

Reaction Score
I think Tiger's current game is not conducive to majors, esp US Opens within their gimmicks. So, I stated he had no chance.

He finished 10+ off the lead. My bad I guess, how could I think he wouldn't win.

Reaction Score
I think Tiger's current game is not conducive to majors, esp US Opens within their gimmicks. So, I stated he had no chance.

He finished 10+ off the lead. My bad I guess, how could I think he wouldn't win.
What was the gimmick at Merion? Thick rough? Thats not a gimmick. It was a difficult course and that's it

Reaction Score
And Paul Lawrie won @ +6. This is true about wind. When wind blows course is worse than any US Open, when calm can be managed.

Watson won at -9 and Harrington at -7 at carnoustie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25

Top Bottom