OT: The red hot Red Sox cool off. . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: The red hot Red Sox cool off. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This thread is my early favorite for "OT Thread of the Year." It's instructional. Notice who based their opinions on real-time facts and who based them on long-since debunked myths.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I love it when the Red Sox cool off to 8-2 in their last 10. Heck I'll take them cooling off to 7-3 in the next 10. Best news is the shutout in Bucholz return.

Uehara has now retired 30 batters in a row as the closer.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It happens about 20 times each year that someone will post a "S0-and-so is going down against Some-chump" thread only to have the favored team come back to win and often dominate after an early rough patch. I think a lot of us want to be the first with the shocking news, and we then get to be omelet faces when order is restored and everything becomes same-old same-old. That does lead to some very fun things to do, like going to the SF Giants forum and reading posts about the last-place Dodgers from around June 21. I think we've all learned during the last ten years that it is never safe to go either way on the Red Sox until the amply endowed lady sings, as they have a habit of confounding expectations both ways. The only thing that is safe to do in baseball is to write off the Pirates season in the first week of April. Oh wait a minute ....................

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well, yes, but did he retire them "effectively"?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I love it when the Red Sox cool off to 8-2 in their last 10. Heck I'll take them cooling off to 7-3 in the next 10.
Yea, but at that rate, they'll be 3-4 when it matters. ;)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Anyone know the record for a reliever retiring consecutive batters?

Is it Bobby Jenks with 41 in a row across 14 appearances?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
It happens about 20 times each year that someone will post a "S0-and-so is going down against Some-chump" thread only to have the favored team come back to win and often dominate after an early rough patch. I think a lot of us want to be the first with the shocking news, and we then get to be omelet faces when order is restored and everything becomes same-old same-old. That does lead to some very fun things to do, like going to the SF Giants forum and reading posts about the last-place Dodgers from around June 21. I think we've all learned during the last ten years that it is never safe to go either way on the Red Sox until the amply endowed lady sings, as they have a habit of confounding expectations both ways. The only thing that is safe to do in baseball is to write off the Pirates season in the first week of April. Oh wait a minute ....................

Kate Smithed I will not be...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
IThe only thing that is safe to do in baseball is to write off the Pirates season in the first week of April. Oh wait a minute ....................
Being a Cardinal fan, I'm still hoping.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Having been a Red Sox fan for many years, I am conditioned to a perpetual feeling like being in a hotel room and awaiting the guy upstairs to drop his other shoe so I can finally get some sleep. Like many others, I am enured to the inevitability of disappointment, even total collapse.

And don't try to tell me that there is a lone soul on God's earth that foresaw events like these:
1. Last night, Mike Carp watched the proceedings in Tampa for about three hours, then was called upon to go to work with a bat as a pinch-hitter. So Mike (who had been released by offense-starved Seattle) merely bashed a grand slam, one of many key hits he has delivered.​
2. The Red Sox plan was for Miller, Bailey and Hanrahan to be the key late-inning guys out of the bullpen. All three got TKO'd along the way, so -- out of desperation -- a 38-year old guy named Koji Uehara commenced to do a reincarnation of Mariano Rivera in his prime.​
3. Ben Cherington, an understudy to departed GM Theo Epstein, fleeces the Dodgers for about $130 million, thenuses this dough to acquire over-performers like Napoli, Uehara, Carp and Victorino to transform Frankenstein into Mona Lisa.​
I could go on -- 22 wins in last at bat, Daniel Nava being a dependable batsman, Middlebrooks being revived in Pawtucket -- but I won't. All I can do now is watch in awe and wait for that other shoe to drop.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Having been a Red Sox fan for many years, I am conditioned to a perpetual feeling like being in a hotel room and awaiting the guy upstairs to drop his other shoe so I can finally get some sleep. Like many others, I am enured to the inevitability of disappointment, even total collapse.... All I can do now is watch in awe and wait for that other shoe to drop.

How a fan of a team that has won 2 championships in just the last 10 years can say "he's enured to the inevitability of disappointment" boggles my mind. Isn't that a tad self-indulgent?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
How a fan of a team that has won 2 championships in just the last 10 years can say "he's enured to the inevitability of disappointment" boggles my mind. Isn't that a tad self-indulgent?
Nah! Just means he remembers the previous 90 years.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

My mind was boggled in 1967, 1978, 2010 and 2011. Among others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom