OT: The music of our parents | The Boneyard

OT: The music of our parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Can you recall a favorite song of mom or dad?
Mine were movie-goers in 1944, when they saw Otto Preminger's LAURA.
As Johnny Mathis attests in his own viewing, dad fell in love with the title melody.

Not long after their viewing, dad was drafted in the late days of WW2, causing him to leave behind mom and 2 toddlers(me & sis) in Jersey, while he was transported to the Carolinas.
With her parents to babysit, mom made a couple of train trips to visit him, sustained by the very relevant
SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY, as the clickety-clack of miles went by.

How about your folks?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I didn't get much musical influence from my parents. If it wasn't on Bob Steele, I didn't know about it until I finally got my own radio. Dad liked stuff like this:

Reaction Score
My parents enjoyed the Perry Como tv show, and with their first hi fi phonograph they played over and over Nat King Cole, Al Hirt and Los Indios Tabajares

JS

Reaction Score
Never knew my dad's favorite music. He didn't seem much interested.

My mother loved Frank Sinatra -- called him "My Frankie." Needless to say, her parents hated him. Thought him a crude individual who couldn't sing. Grandma knows best, eh?

Sinatra recorded All or Nothing at All multiple times in the 60s and 70s. Here's the original from mom's day.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
My mother grew up with the Big Bands of the Forties, and Glenn Miller was her favorite. And I love this music too. Gets your feet tapping. Check out this movie clip, especially the dance routine at the end.

Reaction Score
and while I am thinking about it.... my high school band would play this at all our basketball games...

Reaction Score
I didn't get much musical influence from my parents. If it wasn't on Bob Steele, I didn't know about it until I finally got my own radio. Dad liked stuff like this:

Oh my God! My dad listened to Wonderland by Night all the time! Herb Alpert, too! I still hear Lonely Bull and marching through Madrid in my memory. Mom listened to Nat King Cole, but Bert K! African Beat. That happy feeling! Brings back a lot of memories.

Reaction Score
My mother grew up listening to Big Band (Glenn Miller is still her favorite), my dad grew up listening to country (Hawkshaw Hawkins). When I was small they loved Herb Alpert, Petula Clark, Andy Williams etc.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Mom was a huge Bing Crosby fan. Dad had a more mixed palate, I think. He listed to weekly classical / opera broadcast on the radio, old time '40's music and such. Forget 50's music or Beetles, etc - Dad was born in '08 and Mom in '19. The widely different music (all on old lp's) that I heard growing up, combined with the rock of my '70's college experience, shaped the music I like today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom