OT: Test #396B | The Boneyard

OT: Test #396B

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14..The decade of Canada's independence?

15..Identify Eugene Allen.

16..At day's end the cast(?) would hit the basement to hear Vonda Shepherd.

17..This actor "committed suicide" at the season opening of House.

18..The decade of AFL/CIO unification?

19..A century & 1/2 ago, what was the infamy of Pulaski, Tn?

20..Why Does Floyd Bennet deserve a Field?

21..The decade we acknowledge an independent Hawaii?

22..One(?) ______ entreated snowbirds to visit Florida. Another was bound to die.

23..Originally "Stille Nacht, _______ Nacht".

24..First Euro airline carrier(1919).

25.."Ring ding, your bell will ring...this is what I'll bring...a present for your birthday."

Now I've earned my brunch.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
17. Oh! Oh! Val Penn???
20. I seem to remember it's an airport. Where? What did he do??? I dunno.
23. Heilige

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
18. 1950s?
20. I believe he was a pioneering aviator. Floyd Bennett Field was an airfield on Long Island. Didn't Lindbergh depart from there on his historic flight to Europe?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
14 - 1860's
20 - Yes, it is on Long Island and yes Lindbergh departed from there. What he did, dunno either.
21 - 1870's - wild guess

Reaction Score
18..1950's

19..birthplace of the Klu Klux Klan

21..1820's

23..Heilige

That was a difficult set of questions.

Reaction Score
18. 1950s?
20. I believe he was a pioneering aviator. Floyd Bennett Field was an airfield on Long Island. Didn't Lindbergh depart from there on his historic flight to Europe?

Floyd Bennet Field is in Brooklyn, a few miles east of Coney Island, just north of Far Rockaway. Lindbergh departed from Roosevelt Field which, depending upon whom you ask, is in either Westbury or Garden City, a short walk from what used to be Roosevelt Raceway, and possibly an even shorter walk to what used to be Mitchell Field.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Floyd Bennet Field is in Brooklyn, a few miles east of Coney Island, just north of Far Rockaway. Lindbergh departed from Roosevelt Field which, depending upon whom you ask, is in either Westbury or Garden City, a short walk from what used to be Roosevelt Raceway, and possibly an even shorter walk to what used to be Mitchell Field.
My bad as well, I associated it with Lindbergh for some reason. My agreement with RBNY that it was on "Long Island" was careless - your description of the location "is" where I thought it was (I would have guessed Queens); there used to be a bridge (I suppose still is) to Far Rockaway that you drive through the park that is where Floyd Bennet Field was on your way over the bridge.

Shocked I don't know about the Roosevelt Field - as an airport - I suppose it was where the Roosevelt Field Shopping Center is today. I used to perform audits on the theatre there, I never connected the name to an airport. Roosevelt Raceway was a magnificent ruin, we also had a theatre across the street from there.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score

Brooklyn is on Long Island, even though many Brooklynites don't like to admit it. So Floyd Bennett Field is on Long Island as well as in Brooklyn.

Reaction Score
My bad as well, I associated it with Lindbergh for some reason. My agreement with RBNY that it was on "Long Island" was careless - your description of the location "is" where I thought it was (I would have guessed Queens); there used to be a bridge (I suppose still is) to Far Rockaway that you drive through the park that is where Floyd Bennet Field was on your way over the bridge.

Shocked I don't know about the Roosevelt Field - as an airport - I suppose it was where the Roosevelt Field Shopping Center is today. I used to perform audits on the theatre there, I never connected the name to an airport. Roosevelt Raceway was a magnificent ruin, we also had a theatre across the street from there.

Roosevelt Field Mall is indeed on the spot where Lindbergh started his transatlantic flight - there used to be a plaque outside marking the spot where Lindbergh started his takeoff, but it was stolen so many times that it was moved inside near the Disney Store.

Floyd Bennett Field is actually still an operational airport but currently used only by the NYPD helicopter unit (other aircraft can fly in with permission); it was the first municipal airport in New York City, later taken over by the Navy, and is the site of John Glenn's famous
"Project Bullet" flight (unlike his fellow "Mercury 7" astronauts, John Glenn was actually famous before becoming the first American to orbit the earth).

For those interested in such things, besides Wikipedia, Paul Freeman's Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields is a fascinating site.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
22."bound to die" makes me think of Tom Dooley, but, don't know how entreating snowbirds to FLA fits in..

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14..On spot, Knights, it was 1867.

15..From Eisenhower through Reagan.

16..Dish raises a glass to Ally McBeal and cohorts.

17..Not Val, geordi, nor Sean nor William nor Ballpoint.

18..Quite so, rbny. 1955

19..Hoop has it, birthplace of the KKK.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
20..Yes, a naval aviator who once tried to get Richard Byrd to the North Pole. Glad to read that dialog among posters is alive and well.

21..Knights & hoop surround it--1842.

22..Pinot's instincts are good. Tom Dooley is one. The other annoyed northerners with TV entreaties to "Come on down".

23..Geordi knows one word of Deutch, heilige.

24..Think "Royal".

25..From 1950-55 NYC independent TV station WOR gave us Ray Heatherton as host of
The _____ _______. He became a casualty of McCarthys commie witch hunt.

Keep on truckin' posters.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
24. Based on your hint, Royal Dutch Airlines, better known as KLM.

Reaction Score
Brooklyn is on Long Island, even though many Brooklynites don't like to admit it. So Floyd Bennett Field is on Long Island as well as in Brooklyn.

You are absolutely right. My total bad. Not only do many Brooklynites not admit it, but many who grew up in Nassau and in Suffolk County, myself among them, were conditioned not to think of Brooklyn and Queens as part of Long Island. But, again, you are absolutely right, Floyd Bennett Field is on Long Island.:oops::(

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
15..One movie making the rounds is The Butler, portraying Mr. Allen's White House service over many, many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom