OT: syracuse cancels IMG deal | The Boneyard

OT: syracuse cancels IMG deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
"Syracuse, N.Y. — The Syracuse University athletic department, believing it could make millions of dollars more, became a free agent last week.

But as television deals for college sports have exploded, Syracuse officials believe the value of the school's multimedia rights have as well, something that wasn't reflected in the current contract with IMG.

"As a general rule, the market is dramatically different than it was five years ago," said Joe Giansante, the chief of communications for the Syracuse athletic department. "We've seen it in TV as well. The visibility increases the value. It's increased, and we expect it to continue increasing."

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's an interesting development to keep an eye on...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
http://www.imgcollege.com/news/2008/uconn-and-img-college-form-athletics-multi-media-r

Our current deal expires in 2018 and is worth at least $8 million per year. Not sure what Cuse was getting...

I'm going to guess that we are being paid more than they are. They specifically cite WVU being paid $7M/yr and the article leads you to believe that that's the neighborhood that Syracuse would like to be paid.

SU has not said how much IMG paid the university. IMG's payment to SU had been a guaranteed amount, with a percentage of revenue shared once a threshold is met, Joe Giansante, SU's executive senior associate athletic director, said last fall. But IMG is paying West Virginia University at least $7 million a year to market its sports programs, according to published reports.

Also of note, IMG pays a large percentage of their coach's contracts. See below...

For the 2012-2013 school year, IMG Worldwide paid $1.2 million of SU men's basketball coach Jim Boeheim's $1.7 million compensation package. It paid $1.3 million of the $1.6 million earned by Doug Marrone, SU's football coach that year. IMG paid $70,000 of athletic director Daryl Gross' $563,000 compensation.

Also also of note, if anyone needs any more proof as to why Syracuse doesn't want anything to do with UCONN on a level playing field, take a look at what they are paying their coaches (i.e. Boeheim) and compare it to what we pay ours on a significantly lower revenue stream.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Kentucky just got at $210 million 15 year IMG deal - $14 a year. And as another point of reference Rutgers just signed (in 2013) an 11 year $65 million deal with IMG - $5.9 per year.

Really curious what kind deal we get come 2018. Our deal in 2008 was one of the highest w/ IMG - better than Michigan's signed the same year.

There's revenue out there for us - and we need to maximize it.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Kentucky just got at $210 million 15 year IMG deal - $14 a year. And as another point of reference Rutgers just signed (in 2013) an 11 year $65 million deal with IMG - $5.9 per year.

Really curious what kind deal we get come 2018. Our deal in 2008 was one of the highest w/ IMG - better than Michigan's signed the same year.

There's revenue out there for us - and we need to maximize it.

I'm curious about this too. I'm guessing that if we are still being forced to be in the AAC in 2018, it will de-value our deal fairly significantly. How much will remain to be seen. But it will be yet another another revenue stream that our regional rivals will have over us. Ri fraggin' diculous.

Reaction Score
I'm curious about this too. I'm guessing that if we are still being forced to be in the AAC in 2018, it will de-value our deal fairly significantly. How much will remain to be seen. But it will be yet another another revenue stream that our regional rivals will have over us. Ri fraggin' diculous.

Disagree. If you are winning and you are a flagship state university, the money will be there.

Reaction Score
Disagree. If you are winning and you are a flagship state university, the money will be there.

Agreed-our brand value is not related to conference affiliation.. we were playing big east football and I believe had only two titles when we did the last deal...

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Our IMG deal shouldn't suffer due to AAC membership. We win championships and we have significant national TV exposure. We are a nike elite school - though I wonder if UA or Adidas will make a push (note, nike just announced that they will NOT match Adidas $100 mil PER YEAR offer for Manchester United uni rights; by comparison the entire NBA only gets $36 mil per year from adidas).

My guess is (and I'm hoping) that our future IMG deal will be in the $12-$13 mil per year range.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I hope you guys are right. But if we play all of our games on ESPN Ocho in small markets or against competition that can't keep up with us, I'd like to see what kind of an effect that will have. Hopefully none. Hopefully the value of our next IMG deal will be based upon our own merits and not by who are conference competition is and where they're located. Syracuse is still the same ol' Syracuse but they just cancelled their deal because, I would think, they think they can get more money based on their conference affiliation. Nothing has changed with them except moving from the Big East to the ACC. They're still the same paper tiger December champions of basketball and mediocre football program.

Reaction Score
Our IMG deal shouldn't suffer due to AAC membership. We win championships and we have significant national TV exposure. We are a nike elite school - though I wonder if UA or Adidas will make a push (note, nike just announced that they will NOT match Adidas $100 mil PER YEAR offer for Manchester United uni rights; by comparison the entire NBA only gets $36 mil per year from adidas).

My guess is (and I'm hoping) that our future IMG deal will be in the $12-$13 mil per year range.
It will definitely be interesting to see what our next shoe/apparel deal brings. When our current deal was signed with Nike back in 2008 the 10 year $46 million ($31 million in uniforms, footwear, apparel, practice gear and equipment the remaining $15 million in cash) it was one of the biggest deals in college at the time. Link:
http://articles.courant.com/2008-06-25/news/ctuconntrustees0625.art_1_hathaway-nike-geno-auriemma
With Adidas taking a HUGE hit and losing ND to Under Armour it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they ponied up some serious cash and made a run at UCONN in 3 years. I wouldn't rule out UA taking a run at us either. If we continue to win on the basketball court and Diaco wins on the football field UCONN will be one hot commodity!

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
FDNY99 said:
It will definitely be interesting to see what our next shoe/apparel deal brings. When our current deal was signed with Nike back in 2008 the 10 year $46 million ($31 million in uniforms, footwear, apparel, practice gear and equipment the remaining $15 million in cash) it was one of the biggest deals in college at the time. Link: http://articles.courant.com/2008-06-25/news/ctuconntrustees0625.art_1_hathaway-nike-geno-auriemma With Adidas taking a HUGE hit and losing ND to Under Armour it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they ponied up some serious cash and made a run at UCONN in 3 years. I wouldn't rule out UA taking a run at us either. If we continue to win on the basketball court and Diaco wins on the football field UCONN will be one hot commodity!
I think nick carparelli leaving the big east/American for UA play a big role in our next apparel contract.

Reaction Score
I think nick carparelli leaving the big east/American for UA play a big role in our next apparel contract.
If UA or Adidas outbid Nike for us that will be pretty big. Outside of Michigan going to Adidas from Nike I can't remember another Nike Elite school leaving their stable. And let's face it..CR may be about football, BUT shoe/apparel deals are about hoops and how many pairs of sneakers can be sold.

Reaction Score
If UA or Adidas outbid Nike for us that will be pretty big. Outside of Michigan going to Adidas from Nike I can't remember another Nike Elite school leaving their stable. And let's face it..CR may be about football, BUT shoe/apparel deals are about hoops and how many pairs of sneakers can be sold.
Just a question: Is Reebok still a player in uniform/shoe deals?

Reaction Score
I hope you guys are right. But if we play all of our games on ESPN Ocho in small markets or against competition that can't keep up with us, I'd like to see what kind of an effect that will have. Hopefully none. Hopefully the value of our next IMG deal will be based upon our own merits and not by who are conference competition is and where they're located. Syracuse is still the same ol' Syracuse but they just cancelled their deal because, I would think, they think they can get more money based on their conference affiliation. Nothing has changed with them except moving from the Big East to the ACC. They're still the same paper tiger December champions of basketball and mediocre football program.

IMG would reap big money if our rights were shunted off to SNY and the like.

But, ESPN has a deal to show a certain number of AAC games on ESPN/ESPN2 as does CBS for the network channel. Unless UConn becomes one of the worst teams in the AAC, ESPN and CBS will continue to highlight UConn games on the top channels.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Adidas gave Michigan a sweetheart deal. They are guaranteed to be the highest paid school Adidas has. If they sign someone higher, Michigan gets bumped up past them.

BTW - There are quite a few UM fans who want us to take less money and go back to Nike. The Adidas stuff just doesn't look right to us.

Reaction Score
Just a question: Is Reebok still a player in uniform/shoe deals?

The only deal Reebok has that I know of is the NHL deal, which runs out in 2017. There were reports earlier this year that adidas had asked the NHL to switch the branding from Reebok before the deal runs out.

http://nypost.com/2014/02/01/adidas-may-distance-reebock-from-team-sports/

There's some speculation that if adidas wanted to switch early, the NHL would reopen its uniform contract.

Already, most of the Reebok hockey equipment has been switched over to CCM, which adidas already owns. (Interestingly, they had earlier tried to replace the CCM brand with Reebok. That didn't go so well.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom