OT - Storrs food options | The Boneyard

OT - Storrs food options

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I posted before about Geno's Grill which I like. But I have become a fan of the Dog Lane Cafe as well in the same new complex. It is now my breakfast spot (kitchen under renovation) - they do reasonably priced foods in a casual atmosphere - free wifi that is reasonably fast. Nice selection of breakfast specials, a bakery counter with what look to be delicious cakes and pastries (diabetes is a bear!) and they have a large selection of hot and cold sandwiches salads and soups. For lunch and dinner they have a few special entrees that I have not tried but look good as they pass by. Nice staff - it is all counter service that is then delivered to your table. It seems to be busy most of the time, but fast service. And you can get stuff for take -away.
They do after tax pricing and do not deal with dimes nickels or pennies - rather nice.
Brewed coffee is a little weak for my taste and it is expensive for a single cup, but the cup is bottomless so if you are hanging around for a while it becomes cheaper the more you drink. And they serve beer and wine with a limited wine list but a nice beer selection.
Might be a good place to try before games or after afternoon games - not sure when the kitchen closes.

Anyway - good reasonably priced and tasty food. Nice addition to Storrs options.

PS - was in last week when they had a take-out order for about 20-30 at lunch - two Uconn students in some athletic warm-up uniform came in to pick it up - no idea which team, as I did not recognize them - might have been BB managers, but definitely not players. It was impressive that while they were dealing with all of this an a very large order, they still kept with the walk-in traffic and I did not notice a delay in getting my food.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
A favorite among Yarders has been Willington Pizza.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Just curious.... are there many options off campus for the students as far as dining goes ?? If they wanted a place to sit down and get chicken wings and pancakes at 3:30 am on a wednesday morning...... are there many options to choose from ?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just curious.... are there many options off campus for the students as far as dining goes ?? If they wanted a place to sit down and get chicken wings and pancakes at 3:30 am on a wednesday morning...... are there many options to choose from ?
Most of Storrs (what little there is) shuts down fairly early - 3 AM food off campus is probably a 15-30 minute drive and still a bit limited. We do not have a Waffle House every 2 miles like some areas south of Washington DC.

Reaction Score
Re Waffle Houses: A fact for which the gall bladders of Storrs residents are eternally grateful.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Most of Storrs (what little there is) shuts down fairly early - 3 AM food off campus is probably a 15-30 minute drive and still a bit limited. We do not have a Waffle House every 2 miles like some areas south of Washington DC.

Good gosh..... I could never go to a college like that :D Wow.....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Good gosh..... I could never go to a college like that :D Wow.....
When I was in college, the concern at 3 AM was where the next drink was coming from (same concern I had at midnight, 1AM and 2 AM as well!)
Must be one of these North/South cultural things, hunh?:D

Reaction Score
WaHo...the one in Tech Square in Atlanta was a hopping place during finals week, or so I am told. Every college town needs a 24/7 eatery. When I went to college in SD, the Country Kitchen on Fri and Sat and every night during mid term and finals week was packed. Drinking age was 18 back then so I think they liked us as bit more during exam weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There is a place in Storrs that will deliver cookies until 3 am.

Our nine-year old committed to UConn when she saw that this summer.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Some of the regulars up there can give you a better description. I can drive to it but I don't remember Rt. #s. Maybe Kib or Pinot can help.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
It's on Rt. 32, northwest of campus. Take Rt. 195, north out of campus, turn right when you come to Rt. 32. If you're coming in to Storrs from I-84, just take the Rt. 32 exit into campus, and you'll drive right by it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It's on Rt. 32, northwest of campus. Take Rt. 195, north out of campus, turn right when you come to Rt. 32. If you're coming in to Storrs from I-84, just take the Rt. 32 exit into campus, and you'll drive right by it.
On 84 - from the North take the Rte 32 exit and you drive past it, from the South take the Rte 195 exit and take a left on Rte 32 and it is half a mile on the left.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
On 84 - from the North take the Rte 32 exit and you drive past it, from the South take the Rte 195 exit and take a left on Rte 32 and it is half a mile on the left.
That is how I, usually, come in from the Branford/New Haven area.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I miss Kathy John's. My high school girlfriend went to UConn and we'd go there when I'd visit. Later, we enjoyed it if we could get in on game days. It was an interesting place. After the last two Storrs games I attended last year, we went to Chucks, no wait at all -- food was just okay.
Regarding college eating, going to school in New York City, we could do just about anything but buy a car 24-hours a day.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Restaurants in Storrs are pretty pathetic for the most part. Showed up last year for an NCAA tournament soccer game at 1:00 on a Saturday and couldn't get luch anywhere. Teds closed. Huskies closed. The other place near Frats, closed. It's ridiculous really. It was worse back in the 80's than it is now though.

As for 3AM, since bars close at 2AM, what do you expect? We used to get Ted's grinders at 1:45 or so and head back to the dorms with them. Plus pizza places delivered pretty late as well. You could get 2 for $1 hot dogs at Wawa 24/7. Kathy Johns was the one place you could take your parents if they visited, other than far off campus spots like Willington pizza or Chucks/Margaritaville.

In the 80's, when I was in Storrs, UConn had the highest percentage of students in dorms of any major university in the country. The result is that everybody was on a meal plan, and demand for restaurants was weak. Plus, since CT is small, many (idiots) went home often on weekends. As off campus housing has increased, restaurants have increased. Storrs Center looks like a great addition and has a Moes, Dog Lane Cafe plus Insomnia cookies as Fishy noted.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Gil's in Willimantic. I heard it closed though.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Restaurants in Storrs are pretty pathetic for the most part. Showed up last year for an NCAA tournament soccer game at 1:00 on a Saturday and couldn't get luch anywhere. Teds closed. Huskies closed. The other place near Frats, closed. It's ridiculous really. It was worse back in the 80's than it is now though.

As for 3AM, since bars close at 2AM, what do you expect? We used to get Ted's grinders at 1:45 or so and head back to the dorms with them. Plus pizza places delivered pretty late as well. You could get 2 for $1 hot dogs at Wawa 24/7. Kathy Johns was the one place you could take your parents if they visited, other than far off campus spots like Willington pizza or Chucks/Margaritaville.

In the 80's, when I was in Storrs, UConn had the highest percentage of students in dorms of any major university in the country. The result is that everybody was on a meal plan, and demand for restaurants was weak. Plus, since CT is small, many (idiots) went home often on weekends. As off campus housing has increased, restaurants have increased. Storrs Center looks like a great addition and has a Moes, Dog Lane Cafe plus Insomnia cookies as Fishy noted.
The Mooyah burger place is also pretty good by the way. Yes - Storrs was a wasteland when I was growing up ... the excitement when a Friendlies opened! A lot of locals think the new vinyl coated buildings look like crap, but I love the increasing options available. There are two more retail buildings in construction, one partly occupied already that will add even more.
Fairview - I moved to NYC after college and loved that aspect. Lived on the upper west side and loved picking up warm from the oven bagels as I walked home from the subway. I was so annoyed when I went by a few years ago to discover they had been shut down because the owner didn't pay his sales tax for something like ten years.

Reaction Score
Kathy John's food was horrible toward the end. It was actually inedible, we paid our bill, left the food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom