OT: Solheim Cup coming up Friday thru Sunday | The Boneyard

OT: Solheim Cup coming up Friday thru Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Near Denver....over a mile elevation....some long hitting here...Lexi and Michelle in particular.
The Solheim Cup hasn't been around all that long but it has had some serious heat at times.
Dottie Pepper [when playing on our team] managed to aggravate the Euros in a variety of ways and at one point the Euros taped her picture on a punching bag and smacked it around.

Pepper has been spicy as an analyst. Last match [2011 in Europe] the USA had a significant lead and blew it. Pepper called the Americans 'choking dogs'. Yikes! Tell us what you really think, Dottie! Pepper is an asst. captain this time round...with many of the same USA players on this team as in 2011, that first
team meeting must have been interesting.

Friday...Golf Channel televises from 9:00 a.m. our time
Saturday...same
Sunday...2:30 our time.

The Euros have never won on our turf...we are more talented and deeper...would be big upset
if we lost...imo.

Team golf....rare...is great theatre.

BTW: I see that Kelly Whaley [daughter of Suzy] won the Ct. Women's Amateur by 16 shots....211 for 54 holes. She will be a junior in high school at the Hank Haney Academy in Hilton Head in Sept.
Hilton Head is pretty spiffy....Jim Calhoun has a place down there.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all the info. Solheim cup it is for this weekend!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
BTW: I see that Kelly Whaley [daughter of Suzy] won the Ct. Women's Amateur by 16 shots....211 for 54 holes. She will be a junior in high school at the Hank Haney Academy in Hilton Head in Sept.
Hilton Head is pretty spiffy....Jim Calhoun has a place down there.

I was at the driving range in Farmington sometime in July and Suzy was giving a lesson to a Father/Son further down the range. I was close enough to hear some of the dialogue (trying to get free info).
Kelly was there with her clubs practicing but also assisting her Mom in giving the lessons. She did some of the video camera work, did a demo or two of Suzy's point etc. Also was standing over the shoulder of Mom when she reviewed the video and it's message with the clients.

I couldn't help but think about the "bonus" insight doing stuff like that with her mom must giver her. One thing to listen to a coach and try to execute the message, a whole 'nother level of understanding if you can learn to analyze and correct on your own.

If she doesn't play a tour, she should be all primed and qualified to be a teaching pro down the road.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
http://www.golfchannel.com/tours/lpga/2013/the-solheim-cup/

Link to scoreboard...alternate shot about to start.

My bad: Pepper's 'choking dogs' commentary was from 2007. She was personna non grata in 2009 and 2011.
An article this morning indicated she would be a lock to be captain at some point if she doesn't pop off again.
She is definitely a fire cracker.

Biff....did you see Kelly hit any shots? Got wisdom on her game?

Wie not in the foursomes this morning....good choice...she would be much better in best ball match this afternoon.

Reaction Score
I have thought for a while that there is much more national honor at stake for the US players. I doubt the other side has as strong an attachment for their continent as they do for their countries. I can't remember anyone ever sacrificing their lives for "Europe". Less emotional attachment means less fear. Less fear is always good in golf.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Euros lead 5-3 after Day One...a bit of a surprise. The conventional wisdom
is that the USA is considerably stronger in the 12 singles matches on Sunday...and that the Euros
need to be ahead after Saturday's play to win it. Another 5-3 day and they would be in real good shape
but still not a lock.

Reaction Score
Euros lead 5-3 after Day One...a bit of a surprise. The conventional wisdom
is that the USA is considerably stronger in the 12 singles matches on Sunday...and that the Euros
need to be ahead after Saturday's play to win it. Another 5-3 day and they would be in real good shape
but still not a lock.

i'm not surprised. the euros( men and women) usually play better in the four ball and foursomes. and you may be underestimating this euro team. 8 of their 12 are ranked in the top 30 worldwide, while only 7 of the u.s. team. i don't think this is particularly strong u.s. team, especially on the greens. but they are the home team, and the crowd(must admit that i don't care for the loud cheering after a euro misses a putt) can be a factor.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Some interesting ball flight at altitude reading. LINK

I played the Keystone River course several times. The highest tee is around 9300'. I don't remember seeing much distance gain off the tee. Tough to tell on some of the tees that were perched a couple hundred feet above the landing area.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Pepper's "chokin' dogs" comment certainly applied yesterday. What a dismal display from team USA.
The horses (Lewis, Kerr, Stanford, Creamer, Pressel) for team USA are a combined 4-11.

Reaction Score
almost looks like the americans are beginning to fall behind the europeans, as they already have the asian players. doen't seem likely, but who would have anticipated the fall of women's tennis.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Pepper's "chokin' dogs" comment certainly applied yesterday. What a dismal display from team USA.
The horses (Lewis, Kerr, Stanford, Creamer, Pressel) for team USA are a combined 4-11.

I hate to agree with this post, but, boy, it's hard not to. After a strong & spirited morning session, the afternoon teams played flat & listless, with three of the teams coming to the 18th hole with a chance to scrape at least half-a-point out of it...and, all of them losing the final hole. Really tough to watch.

Reaction Score
Bad pairings by Meg in afternoon, you don't split good combinations, Morgan Pressel, Jessica Korda, and Michelle Wie, Cristie Kerr. Kerr, Pressel, straight, great putters, Wie , Korda 2 bombers and played well with Kerr, and Pressel. Also Angela Stanford is 0-6 in the last 2 cups, there is no excuse for her to have been out at all on Saturday, she had 12 holes where she had no score, which is ball in pocket , picked up.

Reaction Score
a bit less "USA,USA" and a bit more golf. they look more like cheerleaders than golfers .

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
If I am the sponsor of the Canadian Open...starts Thursday...I am offering an exemption to Charley Hull...she would bring some sizzle to the tourney via age [17], ability and enthusiastic 'tude.

BTW: going OT off this OT topic: Buy Jordan Spieth stock on the men's tour. Just 20...rookie...one win and a bunch of top 10's so far. President's Cup pick in October...I wouldn't bet against it. Same for Ryder Cup next year.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
If I am the sponsor of the Canadian Open...starts Thursday...I am offering an exemption to Charley Hull...she would bring some sizzle to the tourney via age [17], ability and enthusiastic 'tude.
She is playing.

Reaction Score
It was a terrible course for spectators...sooo spread out, wish I could've used my bike...and not a lot a great vantage points. The place was absolutely mobbed though. Still, the Solheim is the Solheim and it's always seems like an eternity waiting 4 years for the next one here. Hopefully we get it back in Germany!

Reaction Score
It was a terrible course for spectators...sooo spread out, wish I could've used my bike...and not a lot a great vantage points. The place was absolutely mobbed though. Still, the Solheim is the Solheim and it's always seems like an eternity waiting 4 years for the next one here. Hopefully we get it back in Germany!

in that case, you'll be glad to know that you only have to wait 2 years.

Reaction Score
in that case, you'll be glad to know that you only have to wait 2 years.
Thanks but I guess I wasn't clear...I've been to the last few Solheim Cups...in the US...where it is only held every 4 years...yes I realize I will watch them from Germany in 2 years, likely on tv...not nearly the same as being there...

Reaction Score
Thanks but I guess I wasn't clear...I've been to the last few Solheim Cups...in the US...where it is only held every 4 years...yes I realize I will watch them from Germany in 2 years, likely on tv...not nearly the same as being there...[/quote

you were clear, as you did say the next one here. i missed that. i'm going to the president's cup at muirfield, but would much rather see the women play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom