OT: skiing....breaking news/bad news | The Boneyard

OT: skiing....breaking news/bad news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Lindsey Vonn won't be competing in the Olympics next month.....continuing knee problems.
She is probably the highest profile American in these winter sports....for now. Perhaps after the Olympics
Mikkaela Shiffrin will be challenging for that status. Shiffrin just won the slalom in a pre-Olympic competition and is ranked #1 in the world in that event...just 18 years olde [uhhh...she attended Burke Mt. Ski Academy up in Vermont....founded by our very own Olde Coach many years ago.]

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I didn't expect Lindsay to make it back after her fall and injury. It would have been amazing and lucky if she did.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Lindsey Vonn won't be competing in the Olympics next month.....continuing knee problems.
She is probably the highest profile American in these winter sports....for now.

I would guess that Shaun White is the highest profile American.

"In 2009, Forbes magazine estimated that he had earned $9 million from his endorsements in 2008.[18]"

"The 2008 video game Shaun White Snowboarding is named after him, and the game was personally played and demonstrated by him at Nintendo's E3 2008 Press Conference."

"White was on the cover for The Complete Book of the Winter Olympics: 2010 Edition.[23]"

"A film, Don't Look Down has been released on DVD and ESPN. The film tracks his journey through the year following his Olympic success.[22]"

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Any athlete involved in the Winter Olympics not skating on ice AND carrying a 5 foot stick, fighting over a 4 x 1 inch frozen rubber disc is second tier in terms of popularity compared to those who do.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Any athlete involved in the Winter Olympics not skating on ice AND carrying a 5 foot stick, fighting over a 4 x 1 inch frozen rubber disc is second tier in terms of popularity compared to those who do.
Don't follow hockey much lately, but who would you say is the highest profile American hockey player?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Don't follow hockey much lately, but who would you say is the highest profile American hockey player?

Let me guess...You're a bitter Whaler fan who hasn't followed hockey since 1997 and yearns for the dirty play of Ulf Samuelsson and/or the whining stylings of Brendan Shannahan ? ;)

Around these parts?
1. Patrick Kane (CHI; came alive vs. Bruins in Games 5 and 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Played superbly in the 2010 Games).
2. Ryan Callahan (NYR; Captain; played for the Wolf Pack in 2007)
3. Ryan McDonagh (NYR; Played for the Whale in 2010).
4. Max Pacioretty (MON; If nothing else he is from New Canaan...not just born and family moved three weeks later. He played there. He also was involved in an on ice collision that had international ramifications with Zdeno Chara)
5. Brooks Orpik (PIT; If you're a Bruins fan, you know exactly who Orpik is).

Around the rest of the Country and besides the above, Ryan Miller (BUF) is known for standing on his head last Olympics, especially vs. Canada and Jonathan Quick is well know out west (Kings won the 2012 Stanley Cup).

Collectively, the hockey team is the most popular entity in the Winter Olympics.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Eh not so sure about that. I don't know too many (any) hockey players with national advertising clients. Let alone numerous ones. (maybe I'm missing someone???) I don't remember seeing any on any commercials that I can remember.

I would think maybe Crosby is the biggest name out there??? And I don't think he carry's much weight out of hockey circles.

Reaction Score
Around these parts?
1. Patrick Kane (CHI; came alive vs. Bruins in Games 5 and 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Played superbly in the 2010 Games).
2. Ryan Callahan (NYR; Captain; played for the Wolf Pack in 2007)
3. Ryan McDonagh (NYR; Played for the Whale in 2010).
4. Max Pacioretty (MON; If nothing else he is from New Canaan...not just born and family moved three weeks later. He played there. He also was involved in an on ice collision that had international ramifications with Zdeno Chara)
5. Brooks Orpik (PIT; If you're a Bruins fan, you know exactly who Orpik is).

Around the rest of the Country and besides the above, Ryan Miller (BUF) is known for standing on his head last Olympics. . .
Pretty proud here in Western New York that you picked two native Buffalonians (Patrick Kane and Brooks Orpik) as well as the Buffalo goalie. A veritable hockey hotbed!

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Man thats a downer, we need more to root for.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Eh not so sure about that. I don't know too many (any) hockey players with national advertising clients. Let alone numerous ones. (maybe I'm missing someone???) I don't remember seeing any on any commercials that I can remember.

I would think maybe Crosby is the biggest name out there??? And I don't think he carry's much weight out of hockey circles.

Now that I re-read the original post and stew on it a bit. Vonn possibly would have been the single highest profile individual, but not entity. That is still the hockey team, In my opinion.

Not that it matters, but not many individual athletes period have national advertising deals, but there are a handful in each sport, including hockey. Given the number of foreign born players in the NHL, their notoriety tends to be international, which is hard to gauge. It sort of has to do with marketability, of which physical appearance is a humungous portion. Those who think Linsey Vonn isn't attractive (I am not included in this group) are few and far between, and those who do would probably concede that she is cuter than any hockey player, who by and large may be the ugliest athletes...nay humans...on the planet.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You're nuts everyone knows the curling is the best sport in the Winter Olympics.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Now that I re-read the original post and stew on it a bit. Vonn possibly would have been the single highest profile individual, but not entity. That is still the hockey team, In my opinion.
Yea probably. I'd have to stew that a little too. Guess depends on how one is gonna define "high profile".

I'm not really looking forward to anything in particular this Olympics. Kinda bleh, this time around.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You're nuts everyone knows the curling is the best sport in the Winter Olympics.
Yea probably. I'd have to stew that a little too. Guess depends on how one is gonna define "high profile".
I'm not really looking forward to anything in particular this Olympics. Kinda bleh, this time around.
I love shuffle board on Ice, but NBC buries it on the USA Network at 2:30 in the morning. I'll have to watch it on my phone or something...if I'm awake.

I'm not a fan of "sports" where the scoring is based on subjective personal judgment. In-game referees and officials notwithstanding, the more a physical activity can by scored via objective measurables, the more it meets the definition of a sport to me and is more enjoyable to watch.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I love shuffle board on Ice, but NBC buries it on the USA Network at 2:30 in the morning. I'll have to watch it on my phone or something...if I'm awake.

I'm not a fan of "sports" where the scoring is based on subjective personal judgment. In-game referees and officials notwithstanding, the more a physical activity can by scored via objective measurables, the more it meets the definition of a sport to me and is more enjoyable to watch.
Well that's the beauty of curling. No subjective opinions there. You just let it rock and at the end of it all it is plain who's a quarter of an inch closer to the center. And in the coming weeks, everybody must get stoned.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Well that's the beauty of curling. No subjective opinions there. You just let it rock and at the end of it all it is plain who's a quarter of an inch closer to the center. And in the coming weeks, everybody must get stoned.

"An independent official (supervisor at Canadian and World championships) then measures the distances using a specially designed device that pivots at the centre of the button. When no independent officials are available, the vice skips measure the distances."

If I interpret your post correctly, you missed the point. What is the difference between a 5.5 routine in figure skating and a 5.4? Too many times do athletes in these types of competitions get the benefit of the doubt due solely to country of origin rather than actual talent. It puts the officials/judges at the center of attention instead of letting the performances speak for themselves. I'm surprised there haven't been more controversies like they had in Lillihammer (IIRC) in other judged sports. I tune in for the competition as well as athletic ability. Let me put it this way, you can play hockey without refs and the only thing you need to slide or ski down a hill is a stop watch. There is no "pick up" version of Ice dancing. The judge is required for competition.

Reaction Score
She is probably the highest profile American in these winter sports....for now. Perhaps after the Olympics
Mikkaela Shiffrin will be challenging for that status. Shiffrin just won the slalom in a pre-Olympic competition and is ranked #1 in the world in that event...just 18 years olde [uhhh...she attended Burke Mt. Ski Academy up in Vermont....founded by our very own Olde Coach many years ago.]

I'm not even a little bit surprised. Ever since the original injury, all the reports have been like, "It's not quite healed but I'm pushing myself to be ready for the Olympics!" "I had a little fall but I'm okay, still want to be in the Olympics!" "My doctors aren't exactly thrilled with me but I'm determined to get back out there and prepare for the Olympics!"

I remember thinking, when I first heard that she was trying to rush the recovery, that she was doing her self more harm than good; skiing is such a high-risk sport. We see the effects of trying to push through injuries often in basketball, which is tame by comparison.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
" There is no "pick up" version of Ice dancing. The judge is required for competition.
Ain't no one who is gonna wanna watch me dancing. Ain't no judge necessary either.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Husky25 is serious about his winter sports

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No, just a fire extinguisher and some strong brandy....
Yes, it will take copious amounts of very strong brandy to get me up dancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom