OT: Sauce or Gravy? | The Boneyard

OT: Sauce or Gravy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The only way I can make sense of this is (and this might just be pure mythology) - the origin of a wonderful dish - chicken tikka masala was born in Britain when somebody requested a chicken dish from an Indian chef that had gravy.

Reaction Score
I will say one thing since you started a topic kinda, I will not eat anything that should be chowed down with red sauce, with an alfredo or anything close. I am red sauce only - anyone else like that.

I will have "gravy" on occasion but would prefer my mashed and good roasts/pot roasts/spoon etc etc without it.

I'm a fussy alien ;)

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I had never heard gravy for red sauce until I moved to PA and weird Italian people from Jersey started saying it... as far as I know no one else calls it gravy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I will say one thing since you started a topic kinda, I will not eat anything that should be chowed down with red sauce, with an alfredo or anything close. I am red sauce only - anyone else like that.

I will have "gravy" on occasion but would prefer my mashed and good roasts/pot roasts/spoon etc etc without it.

I'm a fussy alien ;)

Agreed.

Only gravy I have is sausage gravy on biscuits.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Considering that's it's the same thing, why do you care?

Reaction Score
I had never heard gravy for red sauce until I moved to PA and weird Italian people from Jersey started saying it... as far as I know no one else calls it gravy.

The terminology is pretty common among Italian Americans in the Northeast. It was more common a generation ago, and it was particularly used for special Sunday preparations where the sauce/gravy cooked for half a day or more. It is of course a Southern Italian tomato based sauce.

Reaction Score
The terminology is pretty common among Italian Americans in the Northeast. It was more common a generation ago, and it was particularly used for special Sunday preparations where the sauce/gravy cooked for half a day or more. It is of course a Southern Italian tomato based sauce.

The only Italian Americans I've met that call it gravy are the pretentious ones who still think they're true "italians" when they're now 5-6 generations removed from Italy. All my friends with FOB parents call it sauce.

"Gravy" in reference to tomato sauce is literally just a bad translation of the Italian word to English.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

I'm a fussy alien ;)

I'll never eat alfredo sauce or a white pizza.

Reaction Score
Probably not too many good red sauce places in North Dakota.
Yes, your assumption is correct. Italian food is lacking. Pizza is pretty much the worst in this area.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) I think I heard it referred to as gravy in a movie once, but never before or since.

2) No matter what it's called, I won't eat it. Every Italian restaurant has at least one thing that has no business being on an Italian menu for people like me who can't stand pasta or sauce.

3) Thank God someone intervened and put the 'OT' in the thread title because I would have been completely blindsided upon discovering that a post titled 'Sauce or gravy?' had nothing to do with basketball.

4) On the 'out of left field' scale, this thread is a solid 9. Accordingly, it will run for 23 pages.

Reaction Score
1) I think I heard it referred to as gravy in a movie once, but never before or since.

2) No matter what it's called, I won't eat it. Every Italian restaurant has at least one thing that has no business being on an Italian menu for people like me who can't stand pasta or sauce.

3) Thank God someone intervened and put the 'OT' in the thread title because I would have been completely blindsided upon discovering that a post titled 'Sauce or gravy?' had nothing to do with basketball.

4) On the 'out of left field' scale, this thread is a solid 9. Accordingly, it will run for 23 pages.
The And 1 tour definitely has a member named Hot Sauce. Would not be surprised if another member is called Gravy...ill do some research. So it could of been basketball related.

Reaction Score
First time i heard it was at UCONN. An Italian/Irish kid from NYC said it frequently. Most of the NY/NJ kids i new back then were at least familiar with the usage. It was new to me.

Reaction Score
my mom's family uses a ton of weird italian-american idioms, but i didn't hear 'gravy' until i started watching the sopranos. maybe it's a jersey/nyc-specific thing?

Reaction Score
So this gravy/sauce thing may go deeper than i realized. It's more than NY/NJ and parts of Pennsylvania. It's Google as well.

I was looking for And1 players with the word gravy in their nickname. So i searched Google for "And1 tour names gravy". The bulk of results were about Philip Champion aka "Hot Sauce". I did NOT include sauce in my search. Google up and did it on it's own....creepy....right?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

In my gravy research i found this. It's so ridiculously stupid i had to post. At one point Hot Sauce puts a move on a stripper pole. It made think some comedy troop needs to spoof the And1 tour. Sorta like This Is Spinal Tap does with washed up Rock Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom