OT: Rumors that Mick Cronin interested in Tennessee job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I definitely see the interest, but let's hope that Mick stays put

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Cincy is a waaaay better job than Tenn. Seems to be a bit of dysfunction in Knoxville.

Reaction Score
What Mick does will be a huge clue to whether UConn or Cincy is first in line for next expansion round.

But UConn is obviously first either way.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Tennessee is not a step up for Cronin. It is not even a sideways move. It is a descent into madness.

What could be one of the plumb jobs is just way too toxic these days.

Reaction Score
What Mick does will be a huge clue to whether UConn or Cincy is first in line for next expansion round.

So this is bad for UConn either way?!
If he stays it means Cincy is next in line to join a major conference.
If he goes it means UConn is next in line to join a major conference but your conference just got worse and the line is stalled.

Tennessee is a better job than Cincy in a vacuum, but I've no idea the AD, fan & political situation so hopefully if Cronin is comfortable at Cincy he stays there for the reason and Conference realignment is not high among his reasons.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Not a chance Mick considers Tennessee. He has already turned down offers on the table from Missouri and NC State and declined to listen to an offer from Minnesota. All of those jobs are either equal or better than that one.

He is in his home town at his alma mater where his daughter, father and brother all live. The school is working on another contract extension along with talks to renovate the basketball arena. As long as those upgrades to the arena happen, I am fairly confident in saying Mick Cronin will retire at UC....

Reaction Score
Tenn is in the SEC, Cincy is in the AAC

Bruce was making over 2 mill a year at Tenn, good bit more then Mick is making now. Counzo on his first contract was making what Mick is.

Sure Cincy has a better history but Tenn has more money, better conference, good recruiting area. They also built a new practice facility in 2007 which is really nice and the schools athletic training facility is top notch.

Not sure what Cincy has for facilities, but Tennessee is a better job in my opinion, Pearl proved that with how quick he started winning there.

kobe

Reaction Score

Bruce was making over 2 mill a year at Tenn, good bit more then Mick is making now. Counzo on his first contract was making what Mick is.

Sure Cincy has a better history but Tenn has more money, better conference, good recruiting area. They also built a new practice facility in 2007 which is really nice and the schools athletic training facility is top notch.

Not sure what Cincy has for facilities, but Tennessee is a better job in my opinion, Pearl proved that with how quick he started winning there.
A contract extension with Cronin is in the works that would take him through 2021 and pay him in the neighborhood of 2.2 million year. We'll see how quickly that is worked out.

Here is a good article to read if you want further info on Mick's ties to Cincinnati:
The coach, his princess and his city

Reaction Score
Cincinnati counts 4 dance team championships in it's 6 total national team championships, which includes their 2 basketball titles in the 1960s....

Reaction Score
ole mick is gone: gotta update his vol skills by reading up on davy c., king of the wild frontier-why would he stay in aac, cincy ain't ever gettin aau

Reaction Score
Pearl would win at Cincy too. Mick has a good job in he place he likes and takes pride in. You don't leave that for Tennessee.
Your missing the point.

Pearl proved with Tennessee's resources you can turn it around really quick.

His attachment to the city and the school may make him not consider the offer, but Tenn is a better job then Cincy

Reaction Score

I highly doubt he's all that plugged into what's going on with conference realignment.

Anyway, I really don't care one way or the other well Mick stays at Cincy. I wouldn't call him anything better than a decent coach, and Cincy always seems to make the right hire when they have to replace someone.

Reaction Score
I highly doubt he's all that plugged into what's going on with conference realignment.

Anyway, I really don't care one way or the other well Mick stays at Cincy. I wouldn't call him anything better than a decent coach, and Cincy always seems to make the right hire when they have to replace someone.
1 Sweet 16 appearance in 8 years.

Losing Mick is not a blow to the conference by any means.

kobe

Reaction Score
1 Sweet 16 appearance in 8 years.

Losing Mick is not a blow to the conference by any means.
Bob Huggins had 1 Sweet 16 appearance in his last 8 years at Cincinnati too. I don't feel like breaking down the mess he inherited for the billionth time, but he's made 4 straight NCAA Tournaments and has the program trending in the correct direction...

Reaction Score
Knoxville isn't for everyone. My son is a UTenn graduate and did sports radio in Knoxville. Fans are annoying and, well, it's Knoxville. $$ aren't everything to some. I'd rather make a little less in Cincinnati than being stuck in K'ville, but that's me. Football rules there anyway. T-B is gigantic and you never get a sellout except for Ky.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

But these days, TN's ADept is crap, and it's fan base has lost it's collective mind.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Your missing the point.

Pearl proved with Tennessee's resources you can turn it around really quick.

His attachment to the city and the school may make him not consider the offer, but Tenn is a better job then Cincy

Pearl proved that you can play fast and easy and turn something around real quick. He'll probably do the same at Auburn. I think the guy is funny, but he's not exactly upstanding.

Reaction Score
Missouri is in the SEC, Tulsa is in the AAC. Just sayin. (Frank Haith)
Frank Haith left before he was fired. Another year of no tournament bid there and he was gone. A lot of people wanted him gone this year.

Smart move on his part

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Maybe he's just BFF with Butch Jones (FB coach who left Cincy for Tenn).

Reaction Score
[quote="intlzncster, post: 941256, member: 5. ]Pearl proved that you can play fast and easy and turn something around real quick. He'll probably do the same at Auburn. I think the guy is funny, but he's not exactly upstanding.[/quote]
Pearl is The Squid with a better personality. The man has no honor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom