OT: Robin Roberts Comes Out | The Boneyard

OT: Robin Roberts Comes Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On her Facebook page she mentions her partner of 10 years. I like the way she handled this with just a matter-of-fact reference to her partner. No fan fair.
I'm shocked because I thought that she had come out years ago. It was always so obvious about her sexual orientation that it is about the farthest thing on the planet from a news flash. She obviously has the love and admiration of all who know her and I know she won tons of support when she was battling cancer. If she hadn't officially come out before, I'm glad she's decided now. It seems to be old news.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm shocked because I thought that she had come out years ago. It was always so obvious about her s e xual orientation that it is about the farthest thing on the planet from a news flash. She obviously has the love and admiration of all who know her and I know she won tons of support when she was battling cancer. If she hadn't officially come out before, I'm glad she's decided now. It seems to be old news.

I, also, assumed this to be the case, but until someone acknowledges it, it is only an assumption. It is still a story when a gay person reveals this detail, which is sad. I hope the day comes when it is not news for ANYONE to have to make any sort of declaration about their orientation.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Wow, next thing someone is going to try and tell me is Don Lemon is gay and came out.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Wow, next thing someone is going to try and tell me is Don Lemon is gay and came out.

So maybe someone can help me. I always wondered was Liberace gay? He seemed to show it sometimes, but he hid it so well.

Reaction Score
And this whole topic is related to UCONN WBB how? There's nothing to see here folks just move on.

Reaction Score
And this whole topic is related to UCONN WBB how? There's nothing to see here folks just move on.

That's why it's marked OT: so that people who don't want to read something without specific UConn WBB relevancy can move on, leaving others the same choice.

Reaction Score
Robin had a partner at ESPN in the 90's. We played golf with her and her partner at the GHO here in CT. Couldn't not have been more gracious and funny. Who cares if she announces or not, who are we to judge either way?........

Reaction Score
That's why it's marked OT: so that people who don't want to read something without specific UConn WBB relevancy can move on, leaving others the same choice.
Sarg, that is why there are other boards for people to read. I'm just saying that I don't think it belongs here. we are about women's basketball, lets leave the other stuff to other people and boards. IMHO

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Sarg, that is why there are other boards for people to read. I'm just saying that I don't think it belongs here. we are about women's basketball, lets leave the other stuff to other people and boards. IMHO

The board has been run this way since I can remember (at least 13 years). We used to not even put OT though. One of the 'guidelines' is to not tell other posters how to (or what to) post, as long as the post doesn't violate the Boneyard rules.*

Hence why we can have TN threads (or tests or whatever), and anyone who doesn't like them doesn't have to click/read.

No snarkiness intended.

*Edit:[yes, I understand the irony here]

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That only occurs in every other thread.

Yah, but I am talking about subject matter of a post specifically (off topic), not opinions about the team, players, etc. It's not about trying to quell arguments. If people are over the top about it, a mod will usually point out the above.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
Yah, but I am talking about subject matter of a post specifically (off topic), not opinions about the team, players, etc. It's not about trying to quell arguments. If people are over the top about it, a mod will usually point out the above.

By the way, Robin Roberts was a premier WBB analyst a few years ago.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

If there is an OT in front of a topic, it is....off topic.

You're perfectly free to avoid the thread if the topic does not interest you. This has worked perfectly well in the 15+ years prior to you rendering an opinion on the matter, so let's just keep things as they are.

Minor annoyances aside, my god, Robin Roberts is impressive.

I was reading an article about what various political and public figures saw as the "good" in 2013, and I believe that the president of ABC singled out Robin Roberts as one of his highlights.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes, she was really good on ESPN. Really pissed me off when she went to GMA. :mad:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Alexmia - I'd bet you'd see its relevance to UConn basketball if you looked a little more closely.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Actually, Roberts did mostly play-by-play, including some very memorable UConn games. I'll never forget her call of the 2001 BE Championship game, which included the heroics of Sue Bird and the very painful "Shea Ralph, oh no."

Reaction Score
Alexmia - I'd bet you'd see its relevance to UConn basketball if you looked a little more closely.
I wonder if her point was- Is someone coming out really an issue now days. Meaning it's not an issue.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I wonder if her point was- Is someone coming out really an issue now days. Meaning it's not an issue.

Not what I read as her point -- and yes, coming out is still an issue. It's a big issue.

Reaction Score
Not what I read as her point -- and yes, coming out is still an issue. It's a big issue.

For women it seems to be "not so much".

For men it still seems to be a "BIG DEAL!".

Look at the WNBA. Aren't there several players who have "come out"?

Then look at the NBA. Jason Collins came out and now he can't get back into the league.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
For women it seems to be "not so much".

For men it still seems to be a "BIG DEAL!".

Not too much stereotyping and generalizing there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom