OT- Random thought....twitter and current UConn students | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT- Random thought....twitter and current UConn students

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To the rest of the world, club soccer is like the NFL. If the NFL had teams in every country and held multiple seasons at a time and went on for 30+ weeks per year.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I know why they like it. It just seems a worse version of MLB where the same teams have all the stars and everyone else exists to lose to them.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The Boneyard is one of a select few college football messageboards in the nation that would complain about Country music.

Football and Country music go together like bread and butter.
Hah, very true. I will take extra effort to avoid listening to country - I'd rather listen to am radio traffic alerts and weather forecasts. Now I'm curious who the least country-friendly college programs are. I would imagine that RU, UConn and BC are easy top 10. Temple, Maryland, USC/Cal/UCLA?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Way out of left field here....

I follow a handful of current students on Twitter, some of whom might even post here...who knows. Generally, I love their irrational passion (reminds me of me and my friends 15/20 years ago)...they are so easily fired up, etc...
..cough, ...stalker..cough,cough

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Hah, very true. I will take extra effort to avoid listening to country - I'd rather listen to am radio traffic alerts and weather forecasts. Now I'm curious who the least country-friendly college programs are. I would imagine that RU, UConn and BC are easy top 10. Temple, Maryland, USC/Cal/UCLA?

i listen to a bit of everything, but least friendly country programs? uconn isn't in that top 10.

rutgers/pitt/bc/usc/cal/azst/zona/nw/nd/buffalo

Reaction Score
if you ever have the chance to watch an int'l soccer "match" with a foreigner that's really passionate about it i advise you do it. they love it so much their enthusiasm is infectious. i actually watched about 3 hours of Eurocup at a bar this summer and was able to enjoy it. of course anything at a bar on a weekday afternoon is enjoyable
This. Try watching the UEFA Euro Championships here when their nation is playing. They really live and die by their football here, and it's always fun to watch.

Reaction Score
I don't watch too much European club soccer because it reminds me of the AL East ... but international soccer in the proper setting with knowledgeable fans around you is very entertaining and eye opening. I had the opportunity to watch USA v England at the Crown & Anchor in Vegas ... a line out the door at kickoff at 11am local time!

BTW ... a 0-0 tie in soccer can be thrilling. If you can sit through 7 pickoff attempts in a row and still watch the rest of a baseball game, a soccer match is childs play! :)

Reaction Score
Post 9-11, Country music became huge because artists like Toby Keith would sing songs about patriotism & support of the military. BUT, his two hits on my playlist at "Whiskey Girl" & "I love this bar".
Soccer has always had a niche attraction at UConn. One of my roommates in Storrs was the goalkeeper of the men's team. My brother-in-law (another alumnus) is a huge fan of Olympic soccer.

Reaction Score
I don't watch too much European club soccer because it reminds me of the AL East ... but international soccer in the proper setting with knowledgeable fans around you is very entertaining and eye opening. I had the opportunity to watch USA v England at the Crown & Anchor in Vegas ... a line out the door at kickoff at 11am local time!

BTW ... a 0-0 tie in soccer can be thrilling. If you can sit through 7 pickoff attempts in a row and still watch the rest of a baseball game, a soccer match is childs play! :)
They can be quite painful as well. The worst soccer match I ever sat through was Wales vs. Germany in Dusseldorf in 2007. End of qualifiers, so there was nothing riding on the result. 2 hours of kickball back and forth.

But a match where both defenses are strong and the goalkeepers are playing lights out? Nerve wracking!

Reaction Score
I can understand why most born and raised Americans don't get behind soccer. There are so many other options to choose from, and reality is our best athletes are not choosing to play the game as they grow older (not a knock on soccer players from the US, but comparitively speaking - see the NBA and NFL - the best athletes generally go in another direction). It can be a very boring game to watch at times, especially the way it is played here. Personally, I'm a huge fan. Love the EPL's style of play, and any International games pitting country v country, but I was definitely in the minority amongst my friends.

Even non soccer fans would have loved the last day, shoot, last minutes, of the Premiereship last year. It was one of the more incredible endings to a season you could have in soccer (or any sprot really). Man U already winning their game (ending about 5 minutes before the end of Man City, who was ahead of them in the standing before game time) and Man City needing a win to win the League being down by a goal in the final minutes v. QPR at home (roughly the equivilant to Alabama being down 10 points to Indiana at home with 2 minutes left in their final game that would win them a title). The whole game was great, but the final 5-10 minutes were sick (even non-soccer fans - my wife who is not a sports fan at all - were hooked). City'a come back with two goals in the final minutes, the winner in the final few seconds, was pretty great (an dI am not a City fan).

Now that Fox Soccer and to a lesser degree ESPN is showing more EPL games, my Saturday's are looking pretty nice this fall. EPL when I wake up, then right into CFB the rest of the day and night! Sunday morning is more EPL followed by the NFL.

Reaction Score
I like soccer because I was in the right place at the right time. Korea 2002, the US went to the quarterfinals and I went to every game the US was in and a few more. If not for that experience, I don't know what I would think.

There are some really boring soccer games, but there can be some really boring football games too. Not every game is Alabama-Oregon. Sometimes you get BC-Duke.

I have had a really hard time sinking my teeth into MLS. When I was in KC, I went to some of the Wizards games and had a good time. But that was really bad soccer.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Not really country related but I just recently saw Poor Old Shine a bluegrass/folk/roots band made up of current and former UConn students at a festival in upstate New York... I never exactly thought of Storrs as a hotbed for bluegrass... but seriously they were great.

Reaction Score
I don't understand people who think certain genres of music are bad. As if some arrangement of sounds and harmonies could be somehow mathematically proven to be better than some other arrangement. Who cares? I am not a country fan, but I listen to rap, metal, post-rock, alternative, and even Top 40. I don't really care what other people listen to. I also enjoy bluegrass and the Acoustic Cafe in Bridgeport does a once-a-month Bluegrass Night there that is an awesome time.

Also, Taylor Swift is adorable.

And International Futbal is amazing. I am thinking of becoming a West Ham fan because that's the team the nerds from The IT Crowd rooted for when they were pretending to understand the sport.

Reaction Score
I don't understand people who think certain genres of music are bad. As if some arrangement of sounds and harmonies could be somehow mathematically proven to be better than some other arrangement. Who cares? I am not a country fan, but I listen to rap, metal, post-rock, alternative, and even Top 40. I don't really care what other people listen to. I also enjoy bluegrass and the Acoustic Cafe in Bridgeport does a once-a-month Bluegrass Night there that is an awesome time.

Also, Taylor Swift is adorable.

And International Futbal is amazing. I am thinking of becoming a West Ham fan because that's the team the nerds from The IT Crowd rooted for when they were pretending to understand the sport.

Why do you always take things one step further than they need to be taken?

Some people like country, others hate it. Some like bluegrass, others not so much. Who said anyting about genres of music being mathematically proven to be better or worse?

Also, soccer rots. You can say whatever you want but in America the kids who weren't any good in other sports usually gravitated to soccer. Someone else touched on this earlier. The best athletes in American play football, baseball, basketball, and hockey.

Reaction Score

Some people like country, others hate it. Some like bluegrass, others not so much. Who said anyting about genres of music being mathematically proven to be better or worse?

Also, soccer rots. You can say whatever you want but in America the kids who weren't any good in other sports usually gravitated to soccer. Someone else touched on this earlier. The best athletes in American play football, baseball, basketball, and hockey.

First two paragraphs are good. The third is way out of date.

Baseball is horrible and less good American athletes are playing it than ever before. It's just not cool anymore.

There are more kids playing soccer than hockey. Soccer is more accessible. I like both but those are the facts.

Reaction Score
Hockey is a niche sport now in terms of youth participation. It's only played in certain states, and lacrosse has started to make inroads on hockey's talent pool.

Reaction Score

Because people say dumb things like "country sucks, meh" and it's such a non-interesting and pointless opinion to share, I can't help but make fun when people say it. Like yeah, we get it, you have different opinions, but arguing about music is generally a pretty pointless thing to do.

Also, saying soccer sucks because American culture doesn't glorify it isn't a compelling point. You're just telling me why less Americans like soccer. Which I am fully aware of. It doesn't really change the quality of the sport itself, though.

Americans also are less likely to believe in evolution. Doesn't make it a correct opinion.

Reaction Score
Hockey is a niche sport now in terms of youth participation. It's only played in certain states, and lacrosse has started to make inroads on hockey's talent pool.

Hockey has always been kind of a class thing, too, even in cold weather locations. If you can't afford the equipment, you can't really play. Hence why you don't see it in as many urban areas. Whereas it's much easier for people, especially in developing countries, to just pick up a soccer ball and play.

Reaction Score
Because people say dumb things like "country sucks, meh" and it's such a non-interesting and pointless opinion to share, I can't help but make fun when people say it. Like yeah, we get it, you have different opinions, but arguing about music is generally a pretty pointless thing to do.

Also, saying soccer sucks because American culture doesn't glorify it isn't a compelling point. You're just telling me why less Americans like soccer. Which I am fully aware of. It doesn't really change the quality of the sport itself, though.

Americans also are less likely to believe in evolution. Doesn't make it a correct opinion.

When you're stating a very subjective opinion, there is no correct or incorrect ones.

What is the mathematical formula you used to come to conclusion that soccer is a high quality sport?

Reaction Score
First two paragraphs are good. The third is way out of date.

Baseball is horrible and less good American athletes are playing it than ever before. It's just not cool anymore.

There are more kids playing soccer than hockey. Soccer is more accessible. I like both but those are the facts.

Fair point about baseball.

And more kids playing soccer than hockey isn't necessarily a new trend. Hockey costs a fortune.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

First of all, many of the country's athletes go into the other sports because that's where they see the money is. And when it comes to many of baseball's famous players, I don't consider them athletes (Cecil Fielder comes to mind as an example). It's perhaps the only "sport" where a coach can put someone in to "run" for you!! Great athletes, indeed.

Also, it is mathematically proven that all music that I happen to like is indeed better. Don't blame me. Blame Sir Isaac Newton, and his Euro-centric calculus... ;)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Also, it should be noted that the most popular sport for kids under the age of 15 in the United States used to be (and I believe still is) soccer. Again, the problem is the money at the other end of the rainbow...

Reaction Score
First of all, many of the country's athletes go into the other sports because that's where they see the money is. And when it comes to many of baseball's famous players, I don't consider them athletes (Cecil Fielder comes to mind as an example). It's perhaps the only "sport" where a coach can put someone in to "run" for you!! Great athletes, indeed.

Also, it is mathematically proven that all music that I happen to like is indeed better. Don't blame me. Blame Sir Isaac Newton, and his Euro-centric calculus... ;)

Disclaimer: I have no mathematical formulas to prove any of my opinions. The opinions expressed here are that of Jimmy Serrano only. It's based on my life experiences.

First, one of the hardest things to do in all of athletics is to hit a baseball.

Secondly, soccer is the one sport that, as a kid, you can totally suck at and have a relatively good time playing it. Same cannot be said for basketball, hockey, football, or baseball. That's why (I think), coupled with the affordibility aspect, soccer is a popular youth sport in America.

Reaction Score
Fair point about baseball.

And more kids playing soccer than hockey isn't necessarily a new trend. Hockey costs a fortune.

Hockey is a time investment too. Practices can be a really weird hours.

Reaction Score

One last thing.....you clicked on a thread titled UConn students and twitter and expected compelling conversation? This is the BY. You must be in the wrong forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom